One cabin or two. 2 adults and niece age 16

sissyb

We have a sky suite booked on the Edge for my husband and myself. My niece who is 16 has decided she may want to go also. I saw you can get a connecting inside stateroom with a sky suite. It is less expensive to do that then to add her as a third guest to our room. Would she be able to eat dinner with us at luminea. Would she be allowed to be in the retreat area with us. I am still in the timeframe of changing guests, not past final payment. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Not looking for a bunch of free perks for her just want her to be able to be with us. The idea of her own little cabin is also cool as it will be her birthday.

We have friends that have done this for many years with their daughter now 23 (usually during her college spring break but also this past summer).  They use their OBC for the extra fee each night (approx. $45) so she can eat in Luminae and she has always been welcomed in Michaels Club.    

2 hours ago, sissyb said:

We have a sky suite booked on the Edge for my husband and myself. My niece who is 16 has decided she may want to go also. I saw you can get a connecting inside stateroom with a sky suite. It is less expensive to do that then to add her as a third guest to our room. Would she be able to eat dinner with us at luminea. Would she be allowed to be in the retreat area with us. I am still in the timeframe of changing guests, not past final payment. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Not looking for a bunch of free perks for her just want her to be able to be with us. The idea of her own little cabin is also cool as it will be her birthday.

I think on the Edge people traveling together in connected suite + cabin receive the Retreat and Luminae benefits. They don't receive a butler or 4 usual suite perks (just regular perks that they would receive for that cabin).

This was from the original Edge Facts " Celebrity will also extend the exclusive Suite Class amenities and services to guests in a non-suite stateroom when paired with a suite. Everyone in suite-paired accommodations has access to the Suite Class private dining, exclusive lounge, personal butler, and all other special Suite Class perks."  I saw a later version that took the butler out of it, but left Luminae, and Retreat, but you might want to check that they still have this program.

It would likely be less expensive to add her to your suite since you would have to pay for two people for the connected cabin (and the 3rd person in a cabin is usually discounted), though there are some deals out there - some inexpensive suite guarantees and cheap insides so the bottom line would depend upon which cruise you choose. Having lived with teenage girls, I would personally try to spring for the connecting inside, if you can find a good deal. The Sky Suites are not huge (though much roomier than a regular cabin), but still only have one bathroom. That would give you and your DH, as well as her, some privacy. It would lead to a much more enjoyable trip for all, IMO. 

What a nice gift!!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

How does someone's niece decide they are going to maybe go on a cruise with their aunts & uncles ???

If you do decide to take her, remember to bring some documentation from her parents that you have permission to take a minor not your daughter out of the country...

Edited by SC_Floaters
  • Like 1

We travel with our teenage son and have booked a Royal Suite for 3 past cruises. He likes to stay up late, sleep in and usually grabs breakfast/lunch in the buffet. He tolerates dinner in Luminae with us, but always leaves as soon as he’s done. Sharing a smaller suite would have never worked, even a Celebrity Suite. On our next cruise (Reflection) we are in an aft Sky Suite (S1) with connecting (by vestibule) Sunset Verandah that happens to be concierge class. We were assured that his reservation is linked to ours and he can eat in Luminae (when he wants). That’s really the only Suite Class “perk” he’ll use. Our booking came with 4 perks; his booking came with choice of 2 perks (internet and gratuities, we’ll get him beverage package with OBC hopefully). We did have to pay “double” for his cabin since it’s single occupancy, so worked out to be close to price of Royal Suite, but worth it to us to have 2 bathrooms and private sleeping quarters. I plan to ask for a key card to his cabin as well as ours so we can keep him under close supervision, though. We had originally booked cabins on the Apex with a S3 Sky Suite connected by vestibule to an inside cabin for a similar price but for a shorter itinerary. We decided to go with the Reflection based on the itinerary since we could still book connecting cabins, yet maintain our access to Luminae. Hope that helps you to make your choice.

One clarification I should have made above is that on all Celebrity ships children in cabins connected (or linked) to suites (not sure of maximum age) get Luminae, etc.  One thing they originally announced that was different on the Edge was that anyone booking a suite and connected cabin would receive Luminae and Retreat (quote above in my first post). In other words, adult friends or relatives in an inside or veranda connected with friends or relatives in a suite would also receive the benefits. I'm not sure if that has continued to be a benefit, but I am trying to find a friend or relative who will book an S1 aft on the Edge or Apex and we will book the SV next door so that I can find out. The Retreat Sundeck is paradise! 😉

I think the policy has been that minor children traveling in a separate cabin are extended Retreat and Luminae benefits.  Not sure if this would apply to a niece.

I thought I had read on Edge class that they were going to classify some of these connected suites as "Family Suites" on some sailings (I presumed probably holiday sailings at a minimum).   I assumed when classified this way they would be more expensvie than the SS + Inside combined.   i don't think I've heard anything more about this since I saw it prior to the launch of Edge.

The only way to know for sure would be to call Celebrity and hope you get someone knowledgeable.

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think the policy has been that minor children traveling in a separate cabin are extended Retreat and Luminae benefits.  Not sure if this would apply to a niece.

I thought I had read on Edge class that they were going to classify some of these connected suites as "Family Suites" on some sailings (I presumed probably holiday sailings at a minimum).   I assumed when classified this way they would be more expensvie than the SS + Inside combined.   i don't think I've heard anything more about this since I saw it prior to the launch of Edge.

The only way to know for sure would be to call Celebrity and hope you get someone knowledgeable.

Question is does an inside cabin obviously across the hall qualify as a connecting cabin and therefore get the suite amenities.  

If you do one cabin, your only issue will probably be bathroom at dinner time.   Son and I have done this with my wife and sometimes with sister and during dinner time we hop up to the gym to take showers and get ready.  Saves a lot of trouble.   

Edited by dkjretired

I went back and did a little more research and, as usual, the website is not very clear. I found two different answers from Edge Facts sheets:

This is the first one that I referred to in the previous post:

"Celebrity will also extend the exclusive Suite Class amenities and services to guests in a non-suite stateroom when paired with a suite. Everyone in suite-paired accommodations has access to the Suite Class private dining, exclusive lounge, personal butler, and all other special Suite Class perks."

This is the other answer I found:

"61. HALF OUR PARTY IS IN A SUITE, THE REST IS CONNECTED TO OUR NON-SUITE STATEROOM.

• Any non-suite connecting to a suite will receive access to The Retreat, but with no other suite amenities, including butler service.

This sounds like you would need to pay for Luminae - B $10  L - $20  D- $30 unless a minor child - maybe they would make an exception for a niece, but would need to call and see.

62. WILL THEY ALSO HAVE TO PAY SUITE TIER GRATUITIES OR THE STANDARD RATE OF THEIR ACTUAL ROOM SINCE THEY ARE RECEIVING THESE EXTRA SERVICES?

• Only when staying in a Celebrity Family Suite or Sky Family Suite do guests have to pay for suite amenities

63. WILL THIS EXTENDED AMENITY OF SUITES TO CONNECTED NON-SUITE ROOMS BE AVAILABLE

FLEET WIDE OR ONLY ON EDGE?

• Only available on Edge.

My guess is that the first statement was referring to the Family Suites (but there was no mention of family suites). Here is the info for those interested in family suites (likely higher overall cost since all suite amenities are included)

64. THE WEB SITE SAYS FAMILY SUITES ARE AVAILABLE ON SELECT SAILINGS. HOW WILL WE KNOW WHICH SAILINGS?

The Celebrity Family Suites (2 pairs CS- C2) and Sky Family Suites (6 pairs SV + S1) are only available during Christmas and New Year’s Eve sailings. The brochure will identify that the rooms can convert to family suites.

To book, you must to call Reservations as these suites will be held back. Note if they do not sell we will recategorize to the original categories.

Edited by vtcruising

12 hours ago, SC_Floaters said:

How does someone's niece decide they are going to maybe go on a cruise with their aunts & uncles ???

If you do decide to take her, remember to bring some documentation from her parents that you have permission to take a minor not your daughter out of the country...

When she’s very loved and a delight to be with. We have several that would qualify. 

Edited by sheffield
Wrong words
  • Like 7

On 11/18/2019 at 7:26 AM, SC_Floaters said:

On 11/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, sheffield said:

When she’s very loved and a delight to be with. We have several that would qualify. 

Thank you for the kind words. She is a very awesome young woman and we are all looking forward to our cruise! 

Edited by sissyb
  • Like 2