Big Tahitian Kahuna or anyone else- taxi/transport Papeete

Petoonya

We've always either rented a car or relied on Fare Suisse for transport in Papeete. But this time another couple and ourselves want to travel to Marina Taina from Fare Suisse (about 8km) for a snorkel trip, and Beni at Fare Suisse can't promise he'll be available to take us. Marina Taina is about twice the distance from the airport to Papeete. Marina Taina is in a somewhat active part of town but can't count on a taxi just happening to be there to return us. Any suggestions? Arranging advance transport is outrageously expensive. Since the fare from Faaa to Papeete is $25-30, thinking this is going to run $100-120. I've tried a few transport companies and they are even more. Even split between 2 couples it seems like a lot.

I've rented a car before from Avis by the pier and unfortunately their prices are still in the $120 range. But I actually found a Hertz outlet that's only 6 blocks from Fare Suisse and a compact car is only $54. That seems to good to be true- like more taxes will be charged on rental. If anyone has comments on any of this really appreciate.

5 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Btw- that $54 Hertz car is not direct through Hertz but on Expedia, which makes me wonder the big price difference between booking direct and an intermediary.

I would probably go for the car rental and make the most of the 24 hour rental period, by adding a trip out to Faarumai Waterfall
https://maps.app.goo.gl/M7vKYADdoBsDjo2F6

or any other place that interests you.

I've rented from Avis at the pier, with no problems, and at the PPT airport. I don't have any experience with the Hertz in Papeete. I can comment that I'm living in Europe temporarily, and find that Priceline, Kayak, and others, often have prices that are half of what you get if you book direct with the rental car company. I've booked through those intermediary companies many times and have not had a problem. YMMV

They will try to upsell expensive insurance. You can avoid this if you have a credit card with worldwide primary CDW coverage. Many of the Chase cards have this benefit.

Say Hi to Beni. I'm staying there next November.

Edited by Mercruiser

5 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Btw- that $54 Hertz car is not direct through Hertz but on Expedia, which makes me wonder the big price difference between booking direct and an intermediary.

One more thing, the "catch" on some of these deals is that they are prepaid, and non refundable. Read the booking conditions carefully.

I've rented from Hertz many times and usually through travelocity or similar. I usually get the base car with no mileage as everything is very close unless your going to zip around the island. Usually the fee is something like $27 USD plus the miles which for us is never more than 15km so we usually get the car for around $45 total which included the extra insurance. Though we have Chase & Capital One cards that have insurance do know that if you were in an accident the would take the money from you while your there and then it's up to you to get it from your card company. Not worth the concern so we just pay for the added insurance. 

Your only about a 1/4 mile from the Moana Nui shopping center and taxis are usually close by and you could probably ask a local to call for one 😉

4 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I've rented from Hertz many times and usually through travelocity or similar. I usually get the base car with no mileage as everything is very close unless your going to zip around the island. Usually the fee is something like $27 USD plus the miles which for us is never more than 15km so we usually get the car for around $45 total which included the extra insurance. Though we have Chase & Capital One cards that have insurance do know that if you were in an accident the would take the money from you while your there and then it's up to you to get it from your card company. Not worth the concern so we just pay for the added insurance. 

Your only about a 1/4 mile from the Moana Nui shopping center and taxis are usually close by and you could probably ask a local to call for one 😉

That sounds great TBK. And you rented from the Hertz down the way from Champion Market? That might way be the way we end up going. We might even be able to ask the captain of the boat we're taking to call us a taxi. But nice to have options. Thanks

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

That sounds great TBK. And you rented from the Hertz down the way from Champion Market? That might way be the way we end up going. We might even be able to ask the captain of the boat we're taking to call us a taxi. But nice to have options. Thanks

Less than a 1/2 mile from Fare Suisse

hertz.JPG