20% service charge beverage package

the_dylaness

Sorry if this should be obvious to me, but it is not.

Our last X sailing was November 2018.  We had a premium beverage package.  We did not have additional charges on each drink.

We are just in the process of booking another Celebrity cruise and now have been told about the $14 per person per day service charge... ugh.

However, in looking at the document on the Celebrity website advising what items are in each package, it also says at the bottom "20% service charge" for each check.

Has something changed or is this the usual poor communication from Celebrity?

The $14/day service charge applies when selecting a classic beverage package as a perk.

It does not apply to purchasing a beverage package.

The gratuity charge of 20% does apply though, but you will only get a check for the difference if you are ordering something above the level of your package.

You will pay the gratuity on purchased packages or upgrades at the time of purchase.

Edited by Mark_T

Agreeing with @MarkT  

if you order an included drink, no mandatory gratuity. If you order something above, there is a mandatory gratuity. Example... order a $12 drink, you’ll be charged the $3 difference plus 20% gratuity on that difference. A total of $3.60 in this example. 
Enjoy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

OK, pardon if I'm being a bit dense or just under caffeinated...

How does the 20% gratuity work?

We did not have any additional payments when we purchased a drink.... has something changed or am I misunderstanding?

I know what you mean. I have seen that 20% statement even when purchased with the 20% paid already. I believe that it refers to any additional check that you receive (examples: buy a bottle of wine with the 20% discount or buy an $18 drink so pay $3 + 20% grats.

As Mark_T said, if you are getting the beverage package as a perk, your final cruise cost will be $14 more/day and the gratuities are included. If you are purchasing the package alone (not a perk) or upgrading, you will pay the 20% grats when you purchase it. Either way, you won't pay any gratuities onboard unless you go above the package limit (or want to add a buck or two for good service).

Edited by vtcruising

14 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Yes, edit much clearer, thanks!

If only Celebrity could make it that clear on their web page! 

Amen to that!!  You mentioned a premium drink package.

Just to add If you select a four perks deal, there is no additional surchage ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dutchclogs said:

Amen to that!!  You mentioned a premium drink package.

Just to add If you select a four perks deal, there is no additional surchage ...

That’s a surprise to me, since I tried to reprice my 2020 cruise to take advantage of the Vets Day sale, and I was told (twice- once on the phone and once in a chat) that I would have to pay the $14 surcharge. I questioned why this would be so, since I had booked the cruise well before the October start of this program. Both agents said that since this is opening a new deal that, not only would the surcharge apply, but my deposit (originally $20 pp) would now be upped to $450 pp. Needless to say, I declined the new deal. (We’re not drinkers, so the only perk that we were looking for was the OBC.) 

• 3 months later...

Can I please have some clarification here? 
I have the premium bev package as part of the 4 perks deal.

Is there anything that I will be charged WHILE onboard in regards to the perks, beverage or otherwise? 

This $14 per day has already been rolled into my price? And additional gratuity is only over the $15 per drink limit? 

Is that all accurate?

thank you! 

1 minute ago, firstsailor said:

Can I please have some clarification here? 
I have the premium bev package as part of the 4 perks deal.

Is there anything that I will be charged WHILE onboard in regards to the perks, beverage or otherwise? 

This $14 per day has already been rolled into my price? And additional gratuity is only over the $15 per drink limit? 

Is that all accurate?

thank you! 

Yes...I think the limit on the premium is still $15.  You will only be asked to sign any type of slip if you owe extra monies.  

• Like 1

Like Cruisestich pointed out, the 14 dollar day was only in effect for a short time.  To much pushback and celebrity dropped that fee..  If you have the drink package as a perk, classic and or premium you are responsible for only the charges  above the base price.  15 for premium is base dollar amount allowed for premium drinks and I believe 9 for people in classic.  So any drinks above those dollar amounts just have to pay the difference plus 20% Example.  Get a 20 drink in premium,  Would pay 5 plus 20% or a total of $6.00

• Like 1