Lines at Manhattan Terminal??

racetech

I have never been to Manhattan cruise terminal, but after watching a few online videos It looks like the lines can back up and you can be waiting outside for a while. Not sure what sailings these were, but should I come prepared for an outside wait in December, cruising on the Norwegian Gem, so not a huge ship by any means.

5 hours ago, racetech said:

I have never been to Manhattan cruise terminal, but after watching a few online videos It looks like the lines can back up and you can be waiting outside for a while. Not sure what sailings these were, but should I come prepared for an outside wait in December, cruising on the Norwegian Gem, so not a huge ship by any means.

We have cruised out of Manhattan many times and never had to wait outside.

5 hours ago, racetech said:

Not sure what sailings these were, but should I come prepared for an outside wait in December, cruising on the Norwegian Gem, so not a huge ship by any means.

You wont be waiting outside-- there is plenty of room inside. I've never sailed on on the jumbo sized ships NCL brings there (which I would assume there would be a decent amount of lines) but you wont have a problem with a ship the size of Gem. I've sailed QE2, QM2, and other ships of similar sizes many times from Manhattan and never had to wait outside (or in a particularly long line for that matter). You can of course hedge your chances by showing up early or later during the boarding times to avoid the crush in the middle. 

We've  never waited out side to get ON the ship, but twice disembarking once off the ship and on the pier,  we had to queue outside at the top of the escalator because there were "escalator guards" who would only let one couple at time use the escalator and wouldn't let anyone else on the escalator until that couple reached the bottom and got off of it.  Seemed ridiculous and I hope that policy has changed!