Post Canyon Ranch

carlylecat

On 12/31/2019 at 12:14 PM, flossie009 said:

Regent's policy is that their prices are inclusive of taxes, service charges & gratuities.

IMO, to have a franchise on-board which does not follow this policy is an anomaly. 

While I have not been reading the Regent board very much, I checked in on New Year's Eve (spent the night with my DH and three kitties).  While I prefer not posting, when I read information that isn't exactly accurate, it behooves me to respond.

In terms of the above post, it is not really accurate.  All contractors (which the spa and boutique are) are not typically inclusive.  Canyon Ranch and the spa prior to Canyon Ranch were not inclusive when they started onboard Regent ships but Canyon Ranch became so later.

There was a discussion as to why Canyon Ranch left.  It was suggested that it was due to cost.  Based on many posts over the years, the issues were twofold:  1). The employees kept trying to sell products and could be quite pushy; 2). The services provided, in many cases, were not up to par (and, in some cases, the employees were rude to passengers).  I have not ever read a complaint about the price of the services.  After all, Regent is a luxury cruise line and with that comes luxury pricing.  Besides, many of the services that Regent guests book are paid for with OBC’s.   

Wishing all a Happy New Year!

On 12/31/2019 at 8:14 PM, flossie009 said:

Regent's policy is that their prices are inclusive of taxes, service charges & gratuities.

IMO, to have a franchise on-board which does not follow this policy is an anomaly. 

9 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of the above post, it is not really accurate.  All contractors (which the spa and boutique are) are not typically inclusive.

Happy New Year.

Not sure what was inaccurate in my post?

All paid for items on-board Regent are normally priced inclusive i.e. the displayed prices are what you pay. In the boutiques the displayed prices and the prices marked on the goods for sale are inclusive; premium wines & spirits are priced as inclusive; prior to the change of spa provider, the Canyon Ranch price lists were inclusive.

So the new spa provider adding on 18% to the listed prices is a change to the norm.

The various theories as to why Canyon Ranch is being replaced are interesting.

I had assumed that it was simply that their contract with Regent had finished and the opportunity was being taken to negotiate a new contract and/or align the spa provider across the NCLH fleet. 

On 12/30/2019 at 2:27 AM, Hambagahle said:

I hate this system of tipping.  People should get a proper wage for their work and not rely on others to tip, plus the prices are then not accurate.  Tips and taxes (of all sorts) ought to be included in the listed price by law.  Then "it is what it is".   Here in Switzerland we have had such a law since 1971 and it works very well indeed.

I’m with you 100% on this.  I loved it when I lived in Germany that the price listed was the price you paid.  Taxes and fees all included.

Here in the US you can’t ever determine what something is going to cost until it’s written up.  Hotels add local fees, state taxes, city taxes, occupancy fees (isn’t that the purpose of a hotel in the first place?!?), etc. Sirius radio is advertised at $4.99/month, but they more than double it with fees.  Buy flowers for your spouse?  That $80  bouquet will cost you $135 when it’s all said and done.  Cell service is another racket.  It’s maddening.

I hate big government and over regulation but I could get behind legislation that required prices to be marked and/or advertised at the ‘out-the-door’ rate, all inclusive.  It’d make life a lot less frustrating.

• Like 4

I totally agree - every time I go to the US I have forgotten that the price I am about to pay for an item in a shop is not the real price.  And I am always surprised when I am told "that will be ----original price+ up to 10% sometimes".   Plus I think it is not fair not to pay people "living wages" or not to give them health, vacation, retirement etc benefits.  People accuse Switzerland of being expensive but when you compare the real cost of, say a meal, here and that in a similar standard restaurant in the US - it is very close to the same.

We do tip here though - a little.  Generally for a 100frs restaurant bill (about $100) we leave 2frs.  More if the service has really been great OR if we are regular customers.  But never more than 4-5frs.  In the US right now I suppose I would have to leave 20frs.

The other thing is - if you leave tips only for the server it is s/he who pockets them.  Here since the tip is in the price all the staff from dishwasher, onion chopper to restaurant manager benefit from proper wages.

On 1/2/2020 at 4:49 AM, flossie009 said:

All paid for items on-board Regent are normally priced inclusive i.e. the displayed prices are what you pay. In the boutiques the displayed prices and the prices marked on the goods for sale are inclusive; premium wines & spirits are priced as inclusive; prior to the change of spa provider, the Canyon Ranch price lists were inclusive.

So the new spa provider adding on 18% to the listed prices is a change to the norm.

I agree that adding a service charge to a stated price is inconsistent with Regent's message of being all inclusive.  Regent makes a big deal out of tips being included in the pricing of its cruises.  So why would Regent contract with a spa that posts prices that are not all inclusive?  

As I stated in a prior post, I also wonder whether this is actually a tip or is it some other ambiguous charge. Why is it called a service charge rather than a tip? How is this service charge actually distributed?

Maybe someone on board can find the answer?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:18 AM, CruisetheCs said:

. Why is it called a service charge rather than a tip? How is this service charge actually distributed?

A "Service Charge" is an automatically added, fixed amount (percentage usually) and is a mandatory charge.  A "Gratuity" is optional and can be withheld or cancelled or not paid.  I would assume that the Service Charge goes to the employee and makes a gratuity unnecessary. However how it's actually distributed is not our issue, but between the employee and management. 

• Like 2

Boarded the Voyager yesterday. The spa was closed yesterday and today as they transitioned the spa to the Serene Spa. The pricing is the same  as posted previously by Sheila.  I do recall when the Explorer was launched the spa prices were higher than the other ships. It doesn’t look like that is the case now.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:58 PM, papaflamingo said:

A "Service Charge" is an automatically added, fixed amount (percentage usually) and is a mandatory charge.

The photo of the Serene Spa menu in post #19 shows that the 18% is described as a “service charge” but is also noted as being “discretionary” 🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flossie009 said:

The photo of the Serene Spa menu in post #19 shows that the 18% is described as a “service charge” but is also noted as being “discretionary” 🤔

I see that now.  But according to all definitions I've found and the IRS (for tax purposes) there is a difference.  Here's what most define

"A gratuity is a voluntary payment that customers may make to service professionals....A service charge is similar to a gratuity only in the sense that it is also an additional payment in a situation involving a service professional. However, service charges are mandatory rather than optional, and may or may not deliver additional pay to the service professional who works for the customer."

I suppose one can call it what they like.  It could be that calling it a "service charge" makes it more palatable to those from countries where gratuities are not their custom, but service charges are. 

• Thanks 1

Well on the Voyager today and had an appointment for a 55 minute massage. All went well until we went into room and I got in the table and realized the place where you put your face was just one of the neck wraps you use on a plane and my face was buried into the table and could not breath. When the therapist returned I said that I needed the rest that attaches to the table and is open so you can breath. She said there wasn’t one and suggested that I just lay flat with my face turned to side. I pointed out that was not acceptable and to move to a room with a table that had the proper equipment. After much ado they finally after 15 or 20 minutes found the proper piece for the table. She then began the massage but to make a long story short she completed the massage but not a full 55 minutes she completed not adding the time lost looking for the proper rest. She then brought ticket with the 18% service charge added and I said I didn’t feel that I should pay that as it says in their brochure that it is discretionary. I agreeded to pay for the massage even though it was not a full 55 minutes and not a very enjoyable experience. She said the service charge could not be removed but after much back and forth did remove it. I hope things improve with this new Spa. I do not mind paying more if the services provided are up to the standards of what should be expected on a Regent Ship. I love regent and have always had great experiences in the previous spa. Very Disappointed. Hopefully others do not have the same experience. 

I am cancelling my other spa services. Maybe will try again on the next cruise.

I guess jhenry1 got them into shape. We are on the Voyager and today my wife had a hot stone massage. The table was set up properly, the massage therapist was very competent and she had the full 75 minutes. It wasn’t the best massage she ever had but she was pleased, and a good thing to do on a sea day.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested in the quality of the services provided, particularly gel nails.

Also, has anyone determined whether the new spa provider's 18% (discretionary) "service charge" includes gratuities that are passed on to the spa staff, or are the individuals expecting a separate cash tip?

We returned from the Explorer this past Saturday and my wife had a nail repair and manicure. She thought the service was fine - the manicurist was very friendly and personable but found the service quite different than she is accustomed to on land. There was no soaking of the nails or hand massage and no undercoat under the nail polish. (I'm quoting her as I haven't the foggiest about the subject!!!)

Service was professional and competent but just not what she was expecting - although her nails did look lovely!!

Cheers,

Rob

Visited the spa for a massage on Explorer. When I asked the price a day before no mention was made of a gratuity addition. I had assumed that, as with all Regent charges gratuities were included. When I got my bill I was astonished to find 18% gratuity was added and to add insult to injury the payment slip had a space headed “tip”.

I blame Regent for allowing this immoral practice to be introduced when they appointed Serene. I look forward to them forcing Serene to be honest about charges when quoting, or to make their charges inclusive, or to replacing Serene by a more honest company.

Just to add that the masseuse was very good. The problem is the greediness of Serene and Regent allowing them to get away with it.

to be fair to Serene the price list states “ for your convenience a suggested 18% service charge will be applied to the final bill”, but it states that this is discretionary but when I received the bill discretion was not mentioned and an entry for tip was on the slip.

regrettably  I did not ask the masseuse what % of the service charge she received.

Edited by eliana

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, xrvlcruiser said:

Thanks Sheila,

Are we correct in thinking that with Canyon Ranch the price listed INCLUDED the tip?

I have a friend on the Mariner now, I'll email her to ask.

Peggy

Yes, with Canyon Ranch the 18% was included in the bill.   BUT, the bill presented to you included a line for you to add a tip and many did, thinking the tip wasn't already included.  I always drew a line through that additional tip line and on the final TOTAL line, I repeated the price already on the bill.