Wind Star delay

mariners

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, ridethetide said:

I wonder if she can make it to Colon by the 7th.  That's only 14 days and it is much farther than St. Martin.  Maybe with a lighter load, she can sail faster.

Madeira is 6919 kilometers from Colon.  At 12 knots (or 22 kilometers per hour), she should take 13 days to arrive in Colon.  That would be just in time!  Lets hope for following seas...

Do we know if the engine repair was completed?  If this is just a shake-down cruise, it will be a good test of the repair.  But if the final repair awaits, this crossing will be slower and there will still be repair time before passengers can board.

2 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

According to cruisemapper, she's pretty well on her way from Europe to the Caribbean. I doubt that they'd go so far for a shake down cruise so I expect she is on her way. Guesstimating, it looks like she'll make it to Colon on time.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=8420878

Yes. Far further than a shake down cruise. All looks good. Did we ever hear what the exact issue was?

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I didn't mean shakedown cruise in the sense of sea trials.  They wouldn't take any passengers on this cruise – why?  I was wondering if they weren't sure it would be able to make it.

I’d guess because it was quite delayed and the primary need was to get caught up as quickly as possible. Sort of like an express train. Also, after all that time they’d need to restock perishables and stuff and maybe this isn’t easy in Madeira, you can’t just run to the 7-11 for a few things. With so few pax left they may have decided to use the crew for a deep cleaning. I guess it was a number of factors. 

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I didn't mean shakedown cruise in the sense of sea trials.  They wouldn't take any passengers on this cruise – why?  I was wondering if they weren't sure it would be able to make it.

Another reason would be that they're no longer arriving at the intended destination. So, more work and expense to rebook anyone left home from Colon/Panama City.

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Another reason would be sailing across the Atlantic at all possible haste without regard to passenger comfort.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, Misty Morning said:

Looks like she is going to be a day late arriving in Colon

she was still cruising earlier today, but I just checked and it looks like she’s in Colon now. 

Edited by milepig