Bar soap going Buh Bye

CruisinFinsUp

Consider this:

Who goes to a hotel room and finds unwrapped bar of soap?  If you stay one night, that bar gets thrown in the trash.  If you multiply that by the number of days and number of rooms.  Imagine for a moment the trash.....

Many companies out there are trying to be more sustainable.  In fact there are sustainability audits that occur to qualify a supplier, and this a world wide endeavor.  

Honestly, I think this is a positive change.  Just like other things that hospitality companies are doing to reduce waste.   It's a positive thing.

Edited by Jnsplace1
  • Like 11

I'm a person who much prefers bar soaps, but since a travel size is easy to bring from home, I'm not too upset about this.

I am upset about the awful shampoo/conditioner in the showers!  It's the worst stuff I have ever used--and I use cheap shampoo at home.  My hair actually crackles after using it, not that I do after a couple of tries.

• Like 1

This is a great development.  Bar soap is disgusting and within just a day or two it turns to a pile of soap scum.  It takes forever to rinse off your hands too. I always take my own liquid, now I don't have to.  I have always felt liquid soap would encourage better hand hygiene since it's so much more user friendly.  I don't see how anyone could view it as a cutback. I'd say it's about time they did this.

• Like 5

I have always hated those tiny hotel soap bars.  So I always pack a full sized bar of soap for any travel.  The cost of a dozen full-sized good quality brand-name bars is about $10 - $15 at Sam's Club.  I abandon the slightly used bar at the end of my trip.

Not trying to be snarky but really? A 10 gallon pail of liquid soap takes up far less room than the equivalent number of soap bars. As far as the shampoo and conditioner in the cabin, get travel sizes at home or pour some from your econo sized Costco bottle into something smaller. Travel Bar soaps are readily available in the travel section of any Target and carrying a large bar won't tip the scales against you.  You might also find out that liquid soaps and conditioners are more environmentally friendly.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What next - waxed paper type single ply toilet paper.  However,  if you want the good stuff, bring your own.

DON

Feel free to bring your own shampoo, conditioner or soap but PLEASE DON'T bring toilet paper!

The regular toilet paper we all use at home will clog the ship's system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chamima said:

Feel free to bring your own shampoo, conditioner or soap but PLEASE DON'T bring toilet paper!

The regular toilet paper we all use at home will clog the ship's system.

I was being factious.  My point was that the cruise ships are pursuing a "death by 1000 thin slices" policy.

DON

When Noro incidents rise because people will not wash their hands after going to the bathroom, Maybe Princess will reconsider this decision.  

I would be okay with this change....IF...Princess used pre-packaged soap liquid (the same as in the public bathrooms).  Few would try to tamper with this dispenser.

I would be happy to see this!  IMHO it is the sticky waxy nasty bar soaps that are germy.

With sensitivities, I have always brought my own soap.  I couldn't imagine washing my face or my body with either sticky waxy bar soaps, or scented and chemical liquid soaps.

I have never thought of that as a hardship or consider it to be a cutback.

Maybe we need a little nice cheese plate to go with this thread!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bemis12 said:

Keep in mind that the liquor bottles are also "community" share, and God knows who drank a shot poured from them.

I beg to differ with you on this count.  You are welcome to your opinion, but passengers never touch the liquor bottles behind the bar.  AND....the alcohol content will kill most mold and germs.  Imagine what it is doing to the insides of people.  

To continue with your words...."drank a shot POURED from them", implies that the liquor is poured out and does not come directly in contact with any one.  

7 hours ago, Jnsplace1 said:

Consider this:

Who goes to a hotel room and finds unwrapped bar of soap?  If you stay one night, that bar gets thrown in the trash.  If you multiply that by the number of days and number of rooms.  Imagine for a moment the trash.....

Many companies out there are trying to be more sustainable.  In fact there are sustainability audits that occur to qualify a supplier, and this a world wide endeavor.  

Honestly, I think this is a positive change.  Just like other things that hospitality companies are doing to reduce waste.   It's a positive thing.

Hotels "recycle" used bar soap.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/this-is-what-happens-to-half-used-hotel-room-soap

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

What next - waxed paper type single ply toilet paper.  However,  if you want the good stuff, bring your own.

DON

They could probably save money by getting rid of the Kleenex boxes......taking the refrigerators out of the room, etc. because some passengers just want to see Princess save money.....why not.....they just seem to keep taking and taking but not really giving anything in return.....bread sticks anyone??

I bring my own shampoo, only because I want special shampoo for grey/silver hair.  As to the bottle, do people actually think that the last cruiser was unscrewing the top and pouring in... I don't know what?  I am sure part of cleaning process is to check levels in bottles and wipe down the bottle and spout.

9 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Camping chair, bar soap, straw, etc......the list keeps getting longer....Princess is definitely not the cruise line they used to be!!!

All cruiselines removed straws. We cruise with 8 of them. 4 actively.

I love change with a soap. Enjoyed it on several other good lines. 

Things change. Otherwise we would still have ships like ones in Love Boat. 😉 

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

When Noro incidents rise because people will not wash their hands after going to the bathroom, Maybe Princess will reconsider this decision.  

I would be okay with this change....IF...Princess used pre-packaged soap liquid (the same as in the public bathrooms).  Few would try to tamper with this dispenser.

what about shampoo? Is it prepackaged now?

Wondering ... with so many here saying they bring their own soaps and such, should it even matter what, if anything, Princess provides?

In any event, for those who rely on the Princess-provided amenities, and there surely are those who do, should Princess not make this change more public?  Becausr not all surprises are pleasant or welcome.

Just got off of 12 days on Sapphire followed by 14 days on Emerald. We had the little round soap that we have always had. I'm glad they still had the regular soap. Most liquid soap seems to be heavily scented and I can't stand the stuff. I'll be sure to pack soap to take with us for our next cruises. We don't have any booked until late next year so I would imagine the changeover will be complete fleet wide by then.

I have always brought my own French Provençal soaps and special color-safe for color treated hair shampoo and my own special body lotion (Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods generic lotion) Recently, I have started bringing Cera-Ve onboard.  It is a good lotion.  

In the past we have come home with dozens of those Eucalyptus mini bottles of lotion and soap discs, , which I still had in my drawers after umpteen years, and finally threw them away in Sept.  must have been 25 soap bars (which had lost their scent) and 40 bottles of lotion, conditioners, and shampoo. 

I am not a fan of refillable bottles if the dispenser holders aren’t being cleaned properly, as in mold, and some people have posted pics on a different forum of the crud that was growing on one of those refillable bottles underneath the cap.  

Yuck.