Bar soap going Buh Bye

CruisinFinsUp

6 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Not sure I see the problem.  The only people who will be using the dispensers in any particular cabin are the occupants of that cabin.  Of course, one might say...but what about the people on the prior cruise, or the people on the one before that?  OK.  Let's play the game.  Assuming that the dispensers are not cleaned between voyages, (an assumption that many are leaping to, which may be true, but has yet to be established), the total number of people using the dispensers in any one cabin is around 6-10 per month at most.  Now compare that to the number of people who have been using the communal dispensers in the restrooms outside of the HC, or outside the MDRs, or outside of the theater.  Number of people coming in contact with those dispensers every month?  Literally hundreds.  Maybe even measured in the thousands.  And that process has been going on since the beginning of time and not a single thread has been started about how unsanitary it is to have soap dispensers in communal restrooms.  But somehow 6-10 people a month using a dispenser is now unacceptable?  Don't see it.

Communal body lotion?

Edited by Sanz

There is a big difference between the "communal" soap in the public bathrooms and the containers in the staterooms.  

Here is a stock image of a public bathroom on the Ruby Princess:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/ruby-princess-443/hallways-stairways-and-more-276133/hallways-stairways-and-more--v18624412/

Notice the "automatic" soap dispenser.  Less contact with people's hands.  Doubtful that anyone would take apart the dispenser.  

Love Google:

https://info.debgroup.com/blog/debunking-dispenser-myths

2. “Soap dispensers carry germs.”

Different dispensers are more susceptible to germs than others. For instance, when refilling a bulk soap dispensing system, germs from the outside environment or the person’s hands can easily contaminate the soap reservoir. Even where the equipment is cleaned frequently, using aggressive products such as bleach, researchers have identified a high risk of recontamination, due to biofilms – microorganisms that stick to each other and adhere to surfaces.[2]

However, sealed dispensing systems are “closed” and are refilled by inserting a sealed soap cartridge into the dispenser, minimizing the risk of bacterial contamination. This method eliminates contact between the product and the environment before the product is being used to wash hands. The risk of contamination is reduced to a minimum.

The use of antimicrobial technology is also effective in reducing the number of germs on soap dispensers. A recent study found a clear reduction in the total number of bacteria present on various surfaces and products treated with BioCote®.[3]

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:
  2. “Soap dispensers carry germs.”

However, sealed dispensing systems are “closed” and are refilled by inserting a sealed soap cartridge into the dispenser, minimizing the risk of bacterial contamination. This method eliminates contact between the product and the environment before the product is being used to wash hands. The risk of contamination is reduced to a minimum.

The "closed" container would only be replaced when the existing one is empty. To replace it earlier means unused product will be thrown away, defeating the objective of saving $$$.

However, with the current type that is in use the contents can be "topped off" often.

20 minutes ago, caribill said:

The "closed" container would only be replaced when the existing one is empty. To replace it earlier means unused product will be thrown away, defeating the objective of saving $$$.

However, with the current type that is in use the contents can be "topped off" often.

Yes, the ones in the cabins are "topped off".  It's like the Friendship bread/sour dough starters....how old is the original soap?  Hoping the ones in the public WC are "closed" containers.  Would someone verify that?

I am so enjoying this thread!

Edited by cr8tiv1

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It's why we don't use the ones in the shower anymore and bring our own.  Those things are not cleaned properly and certainly not emptied and replaced each week.

It's still useful for washing out articles of clothing in the bathroom sink. 

I'm happy to see that they'll now have dispensers on the counter, with tops that unscrew, rather than having to repeatedly pump the shower bottles. 

I don't mind the change to liquid in principle, but I hope it is better than that body wash stuff they put in the showers. For anyone who plans to bring their own bar soap, I might mention that I was stopped by the TSA last February for having a bar of shaving soap in my carry-on. After consulting with others she finally let me go. Put it in checked baggage.

I seems to me that Princess might well have more left over soap to dispose of if pax bring their own full-size bars and abandon it at cruise end.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:06 AM, Doug R. said:

Is this going to become another 40 page extravaganza like the barrel chair removal? We need to get a grip on reality. This kind of thing is happening all over in the hospitality industry. Let's save our ammo for more important things like possibly following Carnival in switching from Coke to Pepsi....oh yeah, don't care about that either.

Simple solution; don’t care about it, don’t read about it. Care about it, read about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There is a big difference between the "communal" soap in the public bathrooms and the containers in the staterooms.  

Here is a stock image of a public bathroom on the Ruby Princess:

Ruby Princess went into service in 2008.  Guess how many years it had standard communal dispensers prior to changing over to the touchless ones.  Nobody complained or cared.

• Like 4

On 11/19/2019 at 10:22 PM, MargoK said:

Have I spotted the change of the Lotus Spa Lotion from the handy tubes of cream to the the bottles above???

I LOVE the lotion and cherish using it.

I know!  I always bring home several tubes of the lotion to use at home.  Now won't be able to!  Think this is more life changing than the bar of soap vs.liquid soap !!  Guess I will just have to bring empty bottles and fill them up! NOOOOOOOO, I didn't say that, nope didn't say that!!

Pooh

P.S.  By the way, I won't be doing this.  Easier just to buy at home, but it was nice to bring home tubes while it lasted!

18 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I know!  I always bring home several tubes of the lotion to use at home.  Now won't be able to!  Think this is more life changing than the bar of soap vs.liquid soap !!  Guess I will just have to bring empty bottles and fill them up! NOOOOOOOO, I didn't say that, nope didn't say that!!

Pooh

P.S.  By the way, I won't be doing this.  Easier just to buy at home, but it was nice to bring home tubes while it lasted!

Well ... guess you can adjust ... bring home extra unused kleenex and TP 

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, the ones in the cabins are "topped off".  It's like the Friendship bread/sour dough starters....how old is the original soap?

Dispensers pull from the bottom. So the "original soap" does not linger indefinitely.  New soap gets poured in the top and then makes its way toward the bottom as the soap on the bottom gets used.  It's cyclical. The sourdough analogy isn't a perfect one.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

Great idea. I'm glad you thought of it. :classic_rolleyes:

On 11/19/2019 at 4:55 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

We don't/can't know if it's a cutback. The liquid stuff might actually cost more.

Liquid soap tends to cost more plus it actually takes more volume/ weight to get the same amount of actual soap as bar soap so the cost of shipping and storage is higher.

The problem with bar soap is that the wrappers tend to not be recyclable.

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Dispensers pull from the bottom. So the "original soap" does not linger indefinitely.  New soap gets poured in the top and then makes its way toward the bottom as the soap on the bottom gets used.  It's cyclical. The sourdough analogy isn't a perfect one.

Not all dispensers reach to the bottom.  There is always old residue left over unless the entire bottle is emptied, washed, sanitized, and refilled....after each guest.  I stand by my sourdough analogy.  There is always some of the original in left in the starter.  Granted, it may be diluted over time, but the same mixture/contents are ever present.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not all dispensers reach to the bottom.  There is always old residue left over unless the entire bottle is emptied, washed, sanitized, and refilled....after each guest.  I stand by my sourdough analogy.  There is always some of the original in left in the starter.  Granted, it may be diluted over time, but the same mixture/contents are ever present.

Were diving into the realm of the ridiculous, but with sourdough, you knead the new batch such that the old completely integrates with the new.  In a soap dispenser, the old will be at the bottom and given the laws of physics and the relative viscosity of soap, unless someone agitates the container vigorously, turning it end over end to mix the solution, the old soap on the bottom is always going to remain on the bottom until it gets used, which will happen.  So unless you plan to "knead" your soap dispenser, the sourdough analogy is far from perfect.

And in the end, what we are talking about is getting cooties from someone who has touched the soap dispenser, which, by definition, means that these people are washing their hands routinely.  Your bigger concern should be coming into contact with places both within and outside of your cabin that have been touched by the many people who do NOT wash their hands after going to the bathroom.  THAT is where your skeeve factor should be directed.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

Were diving into the realm of the ridiculous, but with sourdough, you knead the new batch such that the old completely integrates with the new.  In a soap dispenser, the old will be at the bottom and given the laws of physics and the relative viscosity of soap, unless someone agitates the container vigorously, turning it end over end to mix the solution, the old soap on the bottom is always going to remain on the bottom until it gets used, which will happen.  So unless you plan to "knead" your soap dispenser, the sourdough analogy is far from perfect.

And in the end, what we are talking about is getting cooties from someone who has touched the soap dispenser, which, by definition, means that these people are washing their hands routinely.  Your bigger concern should be coming into contact with places both within and outside of your cabin that have been touched by the many people who do NOT wash their hands after going to the bathroom.  THAT is where your skeeve factor should be directed.

Okay, I give up.  You win.  Hope you are satisfied with your victory.  I will concede and will refrain from adding any more clarification to this subject.  Suffice it to say (in my opinion) there were many directions this thread could have gone. 

By the way, what is a skeeve factor?

And in the end, what we are talking about is getting cooties from someone who has touched the soap dispenser, which, by definition, means that these people are washing their hands routinely.  Your bigger concern should be coming into contact with places both within and outside of your cabin that have been touched by the many people who do NOT wash their hands after going to the bathroom.  THAT is where your skeeve factor should be directed.

10 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Okay, I give up.  You win.  Hope you are satisfied with your victory.  I will concede and will refrain from adding any more clarification to this subject.  Suffice it to say (in my opinion) there were many directions this thread could have gone. 

By the way, what is a skeeve factor?

verb (used with object) to cause disgust in (often followed by out): This place is so full of mold that it really skeeves me out. to be disgusted by: people who skeeve public restrooms.

Skeeve | Definition of Skeeve at Dictionary.com

FWIW - I'm not by any means a germaphobe but something about that shampoo and body wash in the shower grosses me out so I, for  one, am happy that I was alerted that Princess no longer provides bar soap so I can  bring my own soap as I do with shampoo and conditioner.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

Just now, chamima said:

verb (used with object) to cause disgust in (often followed by out): This place is so full of mold that it really skeeves me out. to be disgusted by: people who skeeve public restrooms.

Skeeve | Definition of Skeeve at Dictionary.com

FWIW - I'm not by any means a germaphobe but something about that shampoo and body wash in the shower grosses me out so I, for  one, am happy that I was alerted that Princess no longer provides bar soap so I can  bring my own soap as I do with shampoo and conditioner.

• Like 1

If it makes anyone fell less worried, I don't think you are at risk of catching anything. Our bathrooms at work have had liquid soap dispensers for years, they are not automatic (you have to press them), and they have not caused any problems. I just asked around here in the office, and no one is the slightest bit concerned about it..... actually they looked at me as if I was a bit crazy  :classic_laugh:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

Supposedly passengers in suites and Elites are to get the "upgraded" toiletries, which entail separate tubes of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and bar soap, instead of the bottles hooked to the wall of the shower. Will this be changing??

Yes it already has. (Sky)

I imagine that when the current stocks run out thats it.