Price drop...wwyd?

crazyboutdisney

We are booked on the epic March 2020. Just happened to look online and the price has dropped. Called NCL and they said we we could get a one time obc(not sure on the amount if she meant $65 a person or flat $65) or pay $129 total and upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite and receive all free at sea (right now we have shore excursions and drink package) OR wait and see if it drops $20 more and get a free upgrade to a mini suite with all the free at sea. My gut was to take the obc and be done as Im not sure of the likelihood the price will drop again.

And thoughts? TIA!

1 minute ago, crazyboutdisney said:

We are booked on the epic March 2020. Just happened to look online and the price has dropped. Called NCL and they said we we could get a one time obc(not sure on the amount if she meant $65 a person or flat $65) or pay $129 total and upgrade from a balcony to a mini suite and receive all free at sea (right now we have shore excursions and drink package) OR wait and see if it drops $20 more and get a free upgrade to a mini suite with all the free at sea. My gut was to take the obc and be done as Im not sure of the likelihood the price will drop again.

And thoughts? TIA!

I would take the upgrade and offers and if it drops again I would try to move up again. 

5 minutes ago, crazyboutdisney said:

And thoughts? TIA!

Dinner and wifi are easily worth $129

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crazyboutdisney said:

I’m just not sure if we will use the dining. Cruise is out of San Juan and port intensive. I just hate to pay $129 and have the mini suite drop $20 next week and we could have gotten it for free. Ugh!! If only I had a crystal ball lol 

Aren't you back on the boat by 5pm at every port? 

I would wait for it to drop again.  Cruising in March, you are either just past final payment or coming up to it soon.  Prices start to drop after final payment and will continue to drop until the cruise sells out.  The sweet spot is around 60 days prior to sailing.  Keep an eye on availability though, and if you see categories selling out or going into Guarantee status you may want to act sooner.

20 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

I would take the upgrade and offers and if it drops again I would try to move up again. 

I'm pretty sure after final payment once you take any offer it's good for one time only - as in once you take an offer you can't call back later if prices go down again.  

2 minutes ago, rpb718 said:

I'm pretty sure after final payment once you take any offer it's good for one time only - as in once you take an offer you can't call back later if prices go down again.  

On my most recent cruise we went from Balcony to Mini-Suite with large balcony after a price drop and then to a Haven Spa Suite after another price drop both after final payment. 

1 minute ago, fastpitchdad said:

On my most recent cruise we went from Balcony to Mini-Suite with large balcony after a price drop and then to a Haven Spa Suite after another price drop both after final payment. 

I should have been more specific - any offers that involve OBC are one time only.  Upgrades to higher level cabins are still good to go.

• Like 1

That's interesting - I'm on a cruise at the beginning of December where prices have been dropping like crazy and so I called one time after final payment and went from balcony to mini-suite. The prices kept having huge drops so I called back to try to move to a family suite (I think that's it, whatever is next after the mini) and was told you can only do that once and the person on the phone was so insistent. He kept saying I would've been warned when I agreed to the change that it was one time only which I wasn't. So the person on the phone was wrong? That makes me mad. Now everything is all sold out. I will make a note for the future! 

1 hour ago, yellowsunshine said:

That's interesting - I'm on a cruise at the beginning of December where prices have been dropping like crazy and so I called one time after final payment and went from balcony to mini-suite. The prices kept having huge drops so I called back to try to move to a family suite (I think that's it, whatever is next after the mini) and was told you can only do that once and the person on the phone was so insistent. He kept saying I would've been warned when I agreed to the change that it was one time only which I wasn't. So the person on the phone was wrong? That makes me mad. Now everything is all sold out. I will make a note for the future! 

One complimentary free upgrade after final payment.  The person on the phone was not wrong.

2 hours ago, yellowsunshine said:

In my situation the upgrade to Mini suite would be a paid upgrade so I would still be able to take advantage of another upgrade or price drop. 

3 hours ago, yellowsunshine said:

I paid a small amount each upgrade for our double upgrade. 

On my Mid Jan cruise the prices have been dropping like crazy - so I called my TA and he called NCL and we were given two offers - upgrade the cabin on the current cruse or half the price difference in FCC. Even though the FCC has a two year limit on it,, we had been talking about another AK cruise in a couple of years so this was very good timing. The FCC is enough to cover just under half of the total cruise price. Now we need to figure out a short land tour in Anchorage post cruise.

The fraction (usually 25%) of the difference in OBC is a one time only thing. (Though after I called for the OBC the price dropped another $100 and even though I didn't call I had another $25 OBC that I have no idea where it came from) 

I've heard varying reports on upgrades. Enough that I'd call back and ask another person. No personal experience as the one time I upgraded for free the price went back up so I never got to try two upgrades. 

I checked last night and the price of our cabin had dropped considerably. I e-mailed my TA last night, she called as I got home from work, she said, NCL, would upgrade us from a balcony to a mini-suite. I accepted and had my e-docs when I checked after dinner. I realize a Mini, is not much different from a balcony but the tub will be a nice add on. I always book early to get cheaper airfare, and although the price reduction is probably greater than the upgrade, I feel fortunate, looking forward to our cruise!

• Like 1