Live From Explorer Dream

wynkys

Hi,

We are just completing our first sea day since leaving Sydney last Sunday and having visited Newcastle yesterday.

This is one of Dream Cruiseline’s initial cruises on its first deployment to Australian waters.

It is, obviously, still working out what appeals to Australian customers and we are currently sailing with a mix of local and Asian guests and are well below capacity with around 900 paying guests.

I am travelling on my own and am finding the lack of traditional bars with lounge areas serving drinks and the open dining arrangement where you are seated with whoever you arrive with, not

conducive to meeting other passengers and I find that I am drinking and eating on my own.

I intend to continue to report regularly for the remainder of the seven day cruise with my developing opinions.

This post will cover embarkation in Sydney.

The ship was berthed at the White  Bay facility which meant that it sailed under the Harbour Bridge on departure.

I flew up from Melbourne that morning and I had researched online how to get to the terminal from  Circular Quay after getting there by train from the airport.

Captain Cook Cruises run a ferry service from the Quay to White Bay, however, it was only once I arrived that I found out that they don’t run the service on a Sunday, which, of course is turn-round day for Explorer Dream.

A $30.00 taxi ride later, I arrived at the ship only to find out that at check-in, the system wouldn’t recognise my photo ID. Once on board, I found that my interior cabin on Deck 8 was perfectly adequate.

The ship is well-appointed with friendly and efficient staff.

My opinion of this ship and it’s offerings improved immeasurably yesterday after I finally conquered the dining options.

Last evening I had a very nice meal in the Chinese dining room, The Pavilion, and followed that by attending the first of several production shows. The performance overall and the stage effects were of Broadway standard.

I then went to The Palm Court Lounge for superb music and dancing - a great evening all round.

On 11/20/2019 at 3:55 PM, wynkys said:

My opinion of this ship and it’s offerings improved immeasurably yesterday after I finally conquered the dining options.

Last evening I had a very nice meal in the Chinese dining room, The Pavilion, and followed that by attending the first of several production shows. The performance overall and the stage effects were of Broadway standard.

I then went to The Palm Court Lounge for superb music and dancing - a great evening all round.

I am taking my elderly mother for her (probably) last cruise.  She is a cruising fan but is nearly 90.  We wanted something closer to home because long haul flights would be too much.  I'm glad you found your feet already and you sound like you are starting to enjoy yourself.  We join her on 1 December for a similar itinerary to you with our first stop being Newcastle.

12 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

I am taking my elderly mother for her (probably) last cruise.  She is a cruising fan but is nearly 90.  We wanted something closer to home because long haul flights would be too much.  I'm glad you found your feet already and you sound like you are starting to enjoy yourself.  We join her on 1 December for a similar itinerary to you with our first stop being Newcastle.

Overall, it is a good product, however, the cruise line needs to iron out its shoreside operations as the use of the White Bay terminal in Sydney is not very user friendly and I have just had it confirmed by the front desk that the only transport options on arrival tomorrow are taxis.

Edited by wynkys

2 hours ago, wynkys said:

Overall, it is a good product, however, the cruise line needs to iron out its shoreside operations as the use of the White Bay terminal in Sydney is not very user friendly and I have just had it confirmed by the front desk that the only transport options on arrival tomorrow are taxis.

I thought there is an airport shuttle service that runs back and forth to White bay.. ??  https://www.gosydneyshuttle.com.au/services  $18 one way

Edited by Janet&Carl

4 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

I thought there is an airport shuttle service that runs back and forth to White bay.. ??  https://www.gosydneyshuttle.com.au/services  $18 one way

Just tried a dummy booking for tomorrow and it says it needs 24 hours notice - but they have 3 buses listed one at 7.30, 8.00 and 8.30.  So you might get a transfer at the port once you depart the ship.

On 11/20/2019 at 3:55 PM, wynkys said:

Thanks for your review, I'm interested to see how it differs from it's regular Chinese departure and Singapore departure sailings!

I was off the ship just before 8am and after finding out in the terminal that the only available transport option was a taxi, I took one to Central Station and I am now facing a four hour wait for my flight to Melbourne.

I used points for my flights and whilst I was hoping to change to an earlier flight, that wasn’t possible to arrange at check-in due to the Frequent Flyer rep. not being available. So, I’m stuck.

My final thoughts on the cruise are that the whole onboard dynamic changed after Brisbane. A far livelier crowd boarded there and as most were only on for the two nights to Sydney, they were out to have a good time. The staff attitude also changed

and, amongst other things, people were suddenly seated with others for dining.

Because of the user unfriendly terminal in Sydney, if I was to do the cruise again, I

would consider the round trip from  Brisbane as the better option.

• Like 1

I was on this cruise too, thought it was excellent.

The crew said there had been some changes for Australia, e.g. dining, entertainment, though not having sailed with them in Asia, not sure of the specific differences.

As for White Bay, it's not the easiest location, but not the worst either, and many other cruises sail from there. Also, this sailing we were on was the first to be able to use the Hamilton wharf in Brisbane. Previous ones were at the Grain wharf, which is a far worse location than White Bay - there isn't even public transport. BTW, I walked to the bus stop on the departure from White Bay which is also an option, though a little bit of a walk.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:50 PM, wynkys said:

This post will cover embarkation in Sydney.

Captain Cook Cruises run a ferry service from the Quay to White Bay, however, it was only once I arrived that I found out that they don’t run the service on a Sunday, which, of course is turn-round day for Explorer Dream.

we are joining it from Brisbane next Wed...2 nights into Sydney

however I’m lead to believe the the ferry is to King St wharf (Wynyard) and not the Quay
https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/captain-cook-cms-assets/assets/timetables/2905/151202k.pdf

ive dropped Captain Cook an email... to see if they still do Sunday’s...