When is Final Payment in US?

paphoslady

We live in the UK and book our cruises either directly with Celebrity or via a TA. For our next cruise final payment is 8 weeks before we cruise, this can be up to 12 weeks depending which TA we book with. How does this differ with the US? We have noticed that some UK cruisers now book with US travel agents. What are the advantages?

35 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

FP is 90 days before the cruise. Most travel agents actually need their money a week to two weeks in advance to make sure there’s no problem with the credit card payment

We NEVER pay anything to our TA.

The only credit card or other payments we make are submitted to RCCL or separately to our Travel Insurance Agency by our TA.. 

She uses OUR credit card for all payments and our statements show RCCL or the Insurance agency. . 

Sorry I wasn’t clear.  I didn’t mean that the travel agent held the funds. The travel agent runs the card 1 to 2 weeks in advance of the actual final payment date so that in case there’s any trouble with the card they have a chance to make it right. They run the card and it shows as celebrity cruises, not the travel agent,  on the statement.

so I end up paying Celebrity a few days in advance of the actual Final Payment date.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 3

For me, in the past, one of the benefits was a refundable deposit, the exchange rate, the ability to move rooms and the extra perks.  Also, if you transferred a booking on board from celebrity to your American TA they will often give you extra perks.

I think, except for the last one,  this is beginning to change now so I look everywhere!

For me its down to price that dictates if I jump US or UK side of the fence.  I price up both using TA (as both UK and US  TAs are cheaper than direct (UK only usually by about £80-120 per cabin)).  But in the US the TA's give OBC back as a perk in our last cruise in the summer this amounted to 4 x $300 (per cabin).  Their base price was also over £200 less per cabin (OV cabins ) than UK and still included the same  as the UK perk of drinks BUT also an additional ship OBC $300, which was not a UK offer at the time. Thus per cabin we gained $600 OBC and the price was also £200 less.  For 4 cabins quite a bit of a saving

The main drawback is a sudden change of currency rate going against you as the £ was dropping when we booked I countered this by loading onto a dollar Faifx card the required funds the day I booked to lock in my price.

However my next cruise was way way cheaper (more than £1000 for an infinity balcony cabin) booking through a UK TA 

Edited by fragilek

We book with a TA whose final payment is a month before Celebrity's (120 days).  We pay them and there is never any trouble.  In fact for our next cruise, Celebrity's FP date is still nearly a month away and the charge for our cruise posted by our TA is already on Amex, so we don't have any worries except having to pay early.  That is cancelled out by the extra OBC and perks we receive.

The answer would be variable depending on both when you booked and length of cruise.   For new bookings it is now usually 90 days for cruises over 5 days.    My agent charges my credit card on the final payment date directly to Celebrity. 

Q.

What is Celebrity's cruise or Cruisetour cancellation and refund policy?

A.

The cancellation charge policies set forth above vary for single occupancy or for the third, fourth or higher occupants in a stateroom or for groups. Consult your travel agency or call Celebrity Cruises® for further details.

Select fare programs require the payment at the time of booking of a nonrefundable deposit. That deposit amount shall not be refunded at any time after it has been paid. Change fees will apply to bookings for which the deposit is nonrefundable.

Cancellation of Cruise or CruiseTour. Cruises that are cancelled prior to the sail date, and CruiseTours that are cancelled prior to the first day of the CruiseTour, may be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of the cancellation charge shall be determined as shown in the table below and shall vary depending on how far in advance of the sail date (or first day of theCruiseTour) the Operator receives notice of cancellation.

For Cruises Booked Before April 16, 2018

For 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES IF CANCELLATION IS MADE (including Holiday Sailings) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per person)
75+ days No charges (except for Non-refundable Deposit amounts )
74 to 43 day Deposit amount
42 to 29 days 50% of total price
28 to 15 days 75% of total price
14 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

For 5 NIGHT CRUISES OR LONGER IF CANCELLATION IS MADE (including Holiday Sailings and Cruisetours) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per person)
90+ days No charges
89 to 75 days Deposit Amount
56 to 29 Days 50% of total price
28 to 15 days 75% of total price
14 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

For Cruises Booked On or After April 16, 2018

FOR 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES (including Holiday sailings) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per Person)
75+ days No charges
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

FOR 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER CRUISES (including Holiday Sailings and Cruisetours) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per Person)
90+ days No charges
89 to 75 days 25% of total price
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

In the event of a cancellation of a Cruise or CruiseTour, any applicable Taxes/Fees or Fuel Supplement charges shall be refunded. For bookings made outside of the United States and Canada, a different cancellation policy may apply. Contact your local office or travel agency for details.

Cancellation notices are effective when received by the Operator.

For Passengers who have booked a CruiseTour and desire to cancel their tour portion while retaining the Cruise, refunds of the CruiseTour Fare (including any applicable supplement charges) shall be made in accordance with the following cancellation policy. Guests who convert their CruiseTours to a cruise only booking within forty-two (42) days of the start date of the tour segment of the CruiseTour will be subject to a cancellation charge. The amount of that charge varies depending on the location of the CruiseTour and/or its length. For the specific amount of the charge, visit Our FAQ section.

The cancellation charge policies set forth above vary for single occupancy or for the third, fourth or higher occupants in a stateroom or for groups. Consult your travel agency or call Celebrity for further details.

Cancellation by the Passenger after the Cruise or CruiseTour has begun, early disembarkation of the Passenger for any reason, including pursuant to any provision of this Ticket Contract, or “no-shows” shall be without refund, compensation, or liability on the part of the Carrier whatsoever.

If Carrier received payment via credit card, the refund will be made to that credit card. If Carrier received payment from your travel agent, the refund will be provided back to that travel agent.

Carrier reserves the right to offer promotional cruise fares or other offers that may modify the cancellation policies set forth above.

For cancellations of air flights, hotel stays, transfer services, shore excursions, pre-purchased amenities, CruiseCare, pre-booked services (such as spa, photography or wedding services) and pre-booked arrangements such as specialty dining, see the applicable terms and conditions for any applicable cancellation charges

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

For me its down to price that dictates if I jump US or UK side of the fence.  I price up both using TA (as both UK and US  TAs are cheaper than direct (UK only usually by about £80-120 per cabin)).  But in the US the TA's give OBC back as a perk in our last cruise in the summer this amounted to 4 x $300 (per cabin).  Their base price was also over £200 less per cabin (OV cabins ) than UK and still included the same  as the UK perk of drinks BUT also an additional ship OBC $300, which was not a UK offer at the time. Thus per cabin we gained $600 OBC and the price was also £200 less.  For 4 cabins quite a bit of a saving

The main drawback is a sudden change of currency rate going against you as the £ was dropping when we booked I countered this by loading onto a dollar Faifx card the required funds the day I booked to lock in my price.

However my next cruise was way way cheaper (more than £1000 for an infinity balcony cabin) booking through a UK TA 

I’ve been saying for years that it’s best to price it out on both sides of the pond, including any perks/promos in your calculations. The only thing I reiterate is that if you book on this side of the pond, be sure you’re totally happy with the deal from the outset as any changes to the booking will probably cost you more money. I also wouldn’t book a GTY over here as we have to accept whatever is allocated, whereas in the US  you can change to another cabin providing it’s in the same category.

4 minutes ago, villauk said:

I’ve been saying for years that it’s best to price it out on both sides of the pond, including any perks/promos in your calculations. The only thing I reiterate is that if you book on this side of the pond, be sure you’re totally happy with the deal from the outset as any changes to the booking will probably cost you more money. I also wouldn’t book a GTY over here as we have to accept whatever is allocated, whereas in the US  you can change to another cabin providing it’s in the same category.

exactly and good point re not being able to change I made that mistake on my first UK booking when I tried to change my gty cabin and found out I could not lol.

Also remember its only a perk if you would have either bought it or spend the same as it costs difference wise on that product.

• Like 1

Our TA takes final payment 120 days, which is 30 before required by X. The payment  indicates charge to X and shows on our cc on the day payment is taken. The TA offers enough additional incentives and or lower fares that we don't care. We have to pay to play eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Our TA takes final payment 120 days, which is 30 before required by X. The payment  indicates charge to X and shows on our cc on the day payment is taken. The TA offers enough additional incentives and or lower fares that we don't care. We have to pay to play eventually.

I think we use the same TA.