Disappointed

Trend

Booked a cruise we wanted in 2021 and were just advised it will not go. Private booking has taken over the Journey so the Quest now has to move things and shorten cruises.

So disappointing and are now looking to other cruise lines for the same trip.

We are concerned booking with Oceania for a long cruise as the last few we have done have been with AZ and we love the relaxed atmosphere, but sadly no cruise we have not taken in the time frame we have available.

Anyone with experience on both lines if you could give us feedback it would be appreciated. 

We cruise on both Azamara (17 cruises) and Oceania (7 cruises).

The major difference we have found is that if you have a problem, Oceania tells you that it is not their fault; Azamara tries to solve the problem.

We love the warmth of Azamara's officers and crew.

Oceania's price doesn't include alcoholic drinks. This may or may not be important to you.

If you take Oceania's "included" "free" air, you can be stuck with some crazy routing with multiple plane changes. If you want to choose your flights, you will pay an upcharge. (Many Oceania cruisers just take a credit and book their own air.)

Oceania's JACQUES restaurant on Marina and Riviera has the best food we have eaten at sea. YMMV.

The standard balcony cabins on Marina and Riviera are bigger than the Azamara standard balcony cabins.  The Riviera and Marina Penthouse suites should feel more spacious. They have a table and two chairs at the end of the bed that don't seem to make much sense. 

I think you could be happy on Oceania - if you don't expect it to feel like Azamara. I'm sure a reading of the Oceania board will give you all the information you need.

2 hours ago, Trend said:

Booked a cruise we wanted in 2021 and were just advised it will not go. Private booking has taken over the Journey so the Quest now has to move things and shorten cruises.

We are concerned booking with Oceania for a long cruise as the last few we have done have been with AZ and we love the relaxed atmosphere, but sadly no cruise we have not taken in the time frame we have available.

Anyone with experience on both lines if you could give us feedback it would be appreciated. 

We have cruised with Azamara and Oceania. We like both. I personally tend to prefer Azamara but we would not hesitate to book a cruise with Oceania again. We found the food better at Oceania than at Azamara.   We found the service very good at both lines. Azamara’ prices includes drinks and gratuities. This is not the case for Oceania. You will have to pay extra for those. One of our cruises with Oceania was 35 nights. It was wonderful.

3 hours ago, tgg said:

If you take Oceania's "included" "free" air, you can be stuck with some crazy routing with multiple plane changes. If you want to choose your flights, you will pay an upcharge. (Many Oceania cruisers just take a credit and book their own air.)

I am booking an Oceania cruise and there is no way that I'm taking their "free air".  I took their $1100 price reduction because I like nonstop flights, ability to control my flights, getting in early to enjoy more time in the originating city, and also want PE.  AMEX Platinum, for what I pay, will save me my annual fee just on PE flights. I also learned that the O-Life is a waste if you do your own tours, and that they give you WIFI, but only for one device.  You do pay for gratuities, but a good TA will throw them in.  Their alcohol packages seem overpriced and the moderately priced ones only provide drinks at lunch and dinner.  On a port intensive cruise, where you're eating dinner on board, that's a waste.  Azamara is more simple and easy to figure out.  

I really like Azamara, but their limited number of ships and constantly shifting itineraries don't always work well for those who still work and that can be frustrating.  The changing of itineraries, combined with having loyal regulars, allows them to jack up their prices on special non-typical non-european cruises (like in my case, Japan). 

I loved our Azamara cruise.  It was the best cruise, on and off ship, that I have ever done.  I am hoping in the worst way that the price comes down on my future booking and I can go with A rather than O, but that's probably not a reality.  From those that cruise on both, many have told me not to have any misgivings in going with Oceania, so we're looking forward to it.

I regularly check out the itineraries for several cruise lines that compete with Azamara.  Oceania doesn't appeal because their itineraries tend to be too similar to mass-market 'sampler' cruises.  The closest I have found [but haven't sailed yet – until next October!] is Windstar.  They are in the process of stretching and renovating the three ex-Seabourn 'sisters,' which will still only grow to 312 passengers.  Their itineraries are [IMHO] quite as interesting as Azamara's.  Take a look.

• Like 1

Have cruised both Azamara (2x) and Oceania (3x) and have a future cruise booked with each.  We have sailed Journey both times with Azamara and  Nautica and Marina (twice) with Oceania.   

4 of Oceania's ships (Nautica, Regatta, Insignia, Regatta) are the same as Azamara's three, while the Marina and Riviera are a bit larger (1250 pax), with large bathrooms (both tub and shower) even in OVs and verandahs (have no knowledge of inside cabins).   The self service laundry room on Nautica was far brighter and nicer than on Journey (cruises were 10 months apart after Journey's refurb but before Nautica's).  The Marina has 5 self service laundry rooms (total 15 machines) complete with couch and TV.   There is also an art studio with hands on classes and a culinary center (large, very well equipped) for cooking classes.  I assume Riviera is the same as Marina, being the same class.

We don't drink so the beverage packages are of no consequence to us.   We found the service very good on both lines - our crew on Nautica this past June was among the best we have had - very happy crew.   If officer engagement is important to you (it is not a major factor for us), then Azamara leads in that category.  Food is subjective, but we found the food superior on Oceania - YMMV - and the specialty restaurants (2 on the smaller ships, 4 on Marina and Riviera) carry no upcharge.  Oceania also offers proper high tea every day and the scones are very good, too.  But the coffee bar on Oceania closes at 6pm, whereas on Azamara it is open late.   Entertainment on Oceania can be hit or miss, but on our Nautica cruise it was stellar.  May you never need to find out what the medical department is like but on Azamara it was so very helpful.   No experience with Oceania in this regard (and hope not to find out!).

We only took OLife on our first Oceania cruise but were able to book unique excursions that would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to do independently and we were fortunate that they were very well run.  We now book cruise only and arrange our own air and excursions.  We have found interesting itineraries on Oceania that are not similar to mainstream lines and have included long port days.   An example would be the British Isles (full circle of England, Scotland, Wales) B2B Ireland (full circle of Ireland and Isle of Man) on Nautica in June.  First part of this cruise is altered for June 2020 to include 3 of the islands off Scotland (dropping a sea day, a port in Wales and Liverpool) so I consider it more like an Azamara itinerary.    We found the passengers on both lines to be similar and well-traveled.   Attire basically the same on both lines.  Internet free for one device on Oceania.  

I hope this will provide some additional information that may be useful.   Much more comparative info on both the Azamara and Oceania boards.  

We had one cruise on Oceania on Riviera, and we've had three cruises on Azamara, one on each of their ships.  We really liked Riviera--it's a beautiful ship and probably our favorite of the dozen or so we've sailed on.  We thought the food was better on Oceania, and service equal on the two lines.  Oceania had better in-room entertainment, so that was a plus for us.  We aren't big drinkers, so the included non-alcoholic drinks on Oceania were fine; we'd buy drinks during the two-for-one happy hour before dinner and were good for the night.

We took the included air on Oceania and didn't have any trouble with weird flights or long layovers, but it was a Caribbean cruise so the chance of convoluted flights was minimal.  We'd likely do the O-Life package without the air if we sailed on Oceania again.

We'd happily sail either line 🙂 

7 hours ago, Trend said:

I was on that cruise and before that for Carnival.  Not only did I want to travel up the Chilean coast I was flying from Lima  to join the Flora.

Now my agent not inky had to roll the deposit onto another cruise she had to cancel and rebook the Flora. I did not want to be in the states in March now it looks like I will.

AZ has a huge problem with canceling cruises. Not sure why JR charter changes  Quest. But happens more  and more.

We too just leaned the details of the changed itinerary for a cruise we booked last month on Quest for a September 2012 Journey cruise.  Not sure what we will do since the charter lengthened the cruise and changed the ports to places we have visited several times.  We were offered a minor compensation and need to confirm what happens to our reserving on-board incentives if we switch to a different cruise.  A total frustration and disappointment. 

7 hours ago, laurieb said:

It appears that all three ships are going to have numerous itinerary changes; perhaps something will work for you.  We’d been looking at a few b2b options but every one of them are now closed

Do you have any handle on the dates and ships that are involved?  When there were just two ships it was pretty much always Quest that was chartered and fairly easy to pick through any changes. Now with three ships and Azamara's keenness to cover as many itineraries as possible and thus swap around it's become quite a job to keep track of what's going on. Along with extended upcoming dry dock time for Pursuit. 

These charters are obviously continuing to be very lucrative for Azamara. Especially with more certainty of filling the ship with a charter vs the current general pricing model which from my observations often leads to silly price drops to fill unsold cabins.

It is very disappointing for those either booked on a cruise that's pulled or trying to plan a b2b cruise for example. I can't see it changing anytime soon.

I will now, wherever possible, leave booking until much later. I've got no Azamara cruises booked after my b2b in January. I usually have at least four booked. That says it all for me. Too much risk of change and paying high prices.  As I have said here before, I'm not playing the game.

Phil 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the mice said:

4 of Oceania's ships (Nautica, Regatta, Insignia, Regatta) are the same as Azamara's three, while the Marina and Riviera are a bit larger (1250 pax), with large bathrooms (both tub and shower) even in OVs and verandahs (have no knowledge of inside cabins).   The self service laundry room on Nautica was far brighter and nicer than on Journey (cruises were 10 months apart after Journey's refurb but before Nautica's).  The Marina has 

We don't drink so the beverage packages are of no consequence to us.   We found the service very good on both lines - our crew on Nautica this past June was among the best we have had - very happy crew.   If officer engagement is important to you (it is not a major factor for us), then Azamara leads in that category.  Food is subjective, but we found the food superior on Oceania - YMMV - and the specialty restaurants (2 on the smaller ships, 4 on Marina and Riviera) carry no upcharge.  Oceania also offers proper high tea every day and the scones are very good, too.  But the coffee bar on Oceania closes at 6pm, whereas on Azamara it is open late.   Entertainment on Oceania can be hit or miss, but on our Nautica cruise it was stellar.  May you never need to find out what the medical department is like but on Azamara it was so very helpful.   No experience with Oceania in this regard (and hope not to find out!).

We only took OLife on our first Oceania cruise but were able to book unique excursions that would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to do independently and we were fortunate that they were very well run.  We now book cruise only and arrange our own air and excursions.  We have found interesting itineraries on Oceania that are not similar to mainstream lines and have included long port days.   An example would be the British Isles (full circle of England, Scotland, Wales) B2B Ireland (full circle of Ireland and Isle of Man) on Nautica in June.  First part of this cruise is altered for June 2020 to include 3 of the islands off Scotland (dropping a sea day, a port in Wales and Liverpool) so I consider it more like an Azamara itinerary.    We found the passengers on both lines to be similar and well-traveled.   Attire basically the same on both lines.  Internet free for one device on Oceania.  

The coffee bar stays open until 11.00pm now.

We had one of our AZ  b2b cruises cancelled next year due to the ship being chartered. We were very disappointed and it threw our whole holiday into chaos. This all seems to be happening way too often with AZ by the sounds of it. 
We have done 8 cruises with AZ and one with O. Much prefer AZ but there is so much uncertainty now, we are now looking at Viking. 

Yes that is the cruise we booked Feb 2021 South America around the horn. Looked at Oceana but they are using the larger ship 1200 and my husband does not want to go back to that.

Thanks for all your advise.

17 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Do you have any handle on the dates and ships that are involved?  When there were just two ships it was pretty much always Quest that was chartered and fairly easy to pick through any changes. Now with three ships and Azamara's keenness to cover as many itineraries as possible and thus swap around it's become quite a job to keep track of what's going on. Along with extended upcoming dry dock time for Pursuit. 

These charters are obviously continuing to be very lucrative for Azamara. Especially with more certainty of filling the ship with a charter vs the current general pricing model which from my observations often leads to silly price drops to fill unsold cabins.

It is very disappointing for those either booked on a cruise that's pulled or trying to plan a b2b cruise for example. I can't see it changing anytime soon.

I will now, wherever possible, leave booking until much later. I've got no Azamara cruises booked after my b2b in January. I usually have at least four booked. That says it all for me. Too much risk of change and paying high prices.  As I have said here before, I'm not playing the game.

Phil 

Many of the n/a cruises holes I saw have disappeared, so I’m assuming that new itineraries have been loaded.  I do see Quest with a big gap May 4-25, and Pursuit 31 July to 04 September 

3 hours ago, Trend said:

Yes that is the cruise we booked Feb 2021 South America around the horn. Looked at Oceana but they are using the larger ship 1200 and my husband does not want to go back to that.

Thanks for all your advise.

We were around the horn with a Celebrity ship, which was larger than Azamara. From Santiago to Buenos Aires. It can be rough sometimes. I do not think that a 1200 passenger ship is a disadvantage in that area. Specially because Oceania organizes very well the embarkation and debarkation  in ports of call. It is a wonderful cruise, at least ours was. 

I just found out that our cruise on the Quest from Miami to Barcelona in May 2021 has been sold out.  I booked this trip while on board the Journey on a cruise from Venice to Athens last month.  This would have been our 10th cruise on Azamara.  I have heard about this happening to other Azamara customers but this is the first time that it has been done to us.  My wife and I were really looking forward to a cruise with lots of relaxing at-sea days.

We have shared our great experiences on Azamara with many of our friends who have then joined us on Azamara cruises.  This seems like a very shabby way for Azamara to treat its customers.  I am, to say the least, very disappointed.  There are other cruise lines in the same market as Azamara.  We will definitely be giving them another look.