Disappointed

Trend

42 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

You're comparing an 11-night voyage departing Dubai to a 12-night voyage departing Portugal, one of the most popular destinations we have? 

I think it is a problem when you price those popular destinations at a higher price than what your competition charges.  I think Azamara knows it has its core regulars who will pay a premium on itineraries which are new or not repeated.  If you can get it, it's great marketing as long as you don't alienate a good portion of that base.  Maybe they'll try your competition and maybe they'll take more cruises with your competition.  When you play with fire, sometimes you get burned.  

Exactly in our assessment for 2021. The price for 2021 is out of line with the competition, we won’t be booking at present. 
We’ve also looked at 2022 Japan. We are comparing to Celebrity where our loyalty gets us far more meaningful benefits onboard. An Azamara ocean view is double the price of a Celebrity Aqua so far superior room, similar dining. We like the “boutique experience” when your cruise isn’t impacted by guests who are on the wrong ship (no this is not a party boat). But a boutique experience is never worth that premium (even allowing for slightly different ports) given the pathetic loyalty benefits. 
Until the marketing folks get it the exodus of loyal cruisers will continue 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

Let’s get back to the original issues raised by this thread.  Azamara chartered a 2012 Journey cruise, then added four nights to the itinerary, and changed many of the ports.  This annoyed those who had booked the original cruise, B2B cruises related to the now-chartered cruise, and those impacted by the changes that had a ripple effect for other Journey cruises and also impacted the some itineraries for Quest.  Basically, Azamara offered $250 OBC for those who had already booked the 2021 seven night Journey cruise.  To receive this compensation, clients needed to decide whether to accept the eleven night itinerary, transfer the booking to another Azamara cruise, or to cancel and request a refund prior to December 30, 2019.

I called Azamara and asked for the fares on the lengthened cruise and for a ten night cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona.  When we booked the V1 fare for the original cruise (Islands of the Western Mediterranean) was $3,899 per person.  The lengthened cruise fare for the same V1 was $5,999.  The V1 fare for the ten night Lisbon/Barcelona cruise was $5,599.  The per night costs were nearly equal to one another - $15 difference from lowest to highest per night cost.  I asked for the published fares even though by booking in October during a Quest cruise, I qualified for some discounts and OBC from Azamara – I decided to keep that out of comparison.  The September 2021 departure per night fares, seem reasonably consistent.  Therefore, the choice should logically be based on itinerary and whether you can tolerate a cruise line which imposes such fluctuations in cruise length/port/itinerary after a cruise is offered for bookings.  I am not sure where we stand – we need to study the itineraries and measure our tolerance for such changes! 

11 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

You're comparing an 11-night voyage departing Dubai to a 12-night voyage departing Portugal, one of the most popular destinations we have? 

Sorry Bonnie I beg to differ maybe it’s a just a U.K. perspective, Dubai is one of the most popular winter holiday destinations whereas Spain in March would be considered a cheap option. 

• Like 3

Actually my original post was about the around the horn with the Falklands and finishing in Lima. 21 days substitute is 10 days Brazil/ Argentina which we did last year for Christmas/New Years. Can not compare 10 to 21 around a continent. Very disappointed starting to look permanently to other small lines even though I am high on loyalty level.

2 hours ago, Riocca said:

Sorry Bonnie I beg to differ maybe it’s a just a U.K. perspective, Dubai is one of the most popular winter holiday destinations whereas Spain in March would be considered a cheap option. 

I agree, even the May cruise on Pursuit from Lisbon to Southampton has lots of availability and that is more reasonably priced.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Riocca said:

You bring up a good point...each market favors different destinations, at different times of the year. 

And future pricing factors in prior performance (occupancy, revenue) of similar voyages (destination, length, time of year). 

Our goal is for the intersection of demand and pricing to be spot on. You/this thread are telling me we may have missed that mark on Spain!

18 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I don't see that you need to say sorry for stating the truth, some of the future prices are just ridiculous.

I agree about the ridiculous pricing.  My 2021 quotes are ridiculous, even with my LCV discount.  Needless to say, I will not book with prices that high.  😱 🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I agree about the ridiculous pricing.  My 2021 quotes are ridiculous, even with my LCV discount.  Needless to say, I will not book with prices that high.  😱 🙄

I was on board and booked a 2021 15-day Japan cruise with the hopes the price would come down. I signed up for a ridiculously priced cruise even in an oceanview (no veranda) cabin.  My real hope is that they will do double upgrades on that itinerary and I can get a balcony.  When I got home, I decided to book a 10-day Japan, same time period, with Oceania in a veranda cabin at a much better price.  The cruise is in April of 2021.  If Azamara doesn't discount by this April when flights come out, I'll move my cruise by final payment or just get my deposit back (less $75).  In my mind right now, I'm on Oceania and ONLY because Azamara's prices for 2021 are insane.  I loved my Azamara cruise, but not enough to pay $17K for the lowest level balcony for a 15-day itinerary.  I'm good with O's 10 days for $9,800 (tips included, and they already include WIFI and two specialty restaurants) and more days in Tokyo.  

I do believe that Azamara is hoping to get these fares and won't price down to market until or unless they have to.  Even if they are able to get bookings at these ridiculous prices, their victory will be pyrrhic only as they are building up some ill will among their regulars (I am not one of those, but would keep them in my rotation) who will now think twice before their next booking.  Celebrity appears to be acting similarly on a lower scale.

13 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I was on board and booked a 2021 15-day Japan cruise with the hopes the price would come down. I signed up for a ridiculously priced cruise even in an oceanview (no veranda) cabin.  My real hope is that they will do double upgrades on that itinerary and I can get a balcony.  When I got home, I decided to book a 10-day Japan, same time period, with Oceania in a veranda cabin at a much better price.  The cruise is in April of 2021.  If Azamara doesn't discount by this April when flights come out, I'll move my cruise by final payment or just get my deposit back (less $75).  In my mind right now, I'm on Oceania and ONLY because Azamara's prices for 2021 are insane.  I loved my Azamara cruise, but not enough to pay $17K for the lowest level balcony for a 15-day itinerary.  I'm good with O's 10 days for $9,800 (tips included, and they already include WIFI and two specialty restaurants) and more days in Tokyo.  

I do believe that Azamara is hoping to get these fares and won't price down to market until or unless they have to.  Even if they are able to get bookings at these ridiculous prices, their victory will be pyrrhic only as they are building up some ill will among their regulars (I am not one of those, but would keep them in my rotation) who will now think twice before their next booking.  Celebrity appears to be acting similarly on a lower scale.

I did not book because I didn’t want to lose $75 x 2.  There were a few people who were getting off the Journey in Miami and then doing another cruise on Oceania.  I may finally give Oceania a look and although we’ve not been cruising that many years, I do consider us a regular Azamara cruiser.

2 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I did not book because I didn’t want to lose $75 x 2.  There were a few people who were getting off the Journey in Miami and then doing another cruise on Oceania.  I may finally give Oceania a look and although we’ve not been cruising that many years, I do consider us a regular Azamara cruiser.

After being long time Azamara cruisers, we too have booked our first Oceania this week.  Prices are much more competitive than the 2021 Azamara prices.  I can't justify the prices despite loving our Azamara on board experience.  I'm expecting others to follow suit with the crazy pricing....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midwestchick said:

The future cruise guy told me that the risk if you are not sure is only $75.  He said that I could book just me and then add my wife  before final payment.  That way the risk is only $75.  Over the course of a little more than 25 years, I've only cruised 15 or 16 times, but I've been on five lines and have two new ones in my next three.  The hardest thing is really learning to understand the ins and outs of each new line.  I understand the regulars on Azamara.  They are great on these CC forums and very helpful and great to cruise with.  

I really hoped in the worst way that Azamara would reduce the price or offer double upgrade on the cruise I booked for 2021.  My Azamara cruise was my favorite vacation, but so many that I met on the ship told me they go on Oceania and that I would enjoy it and not to think twice about going for the best deal, especially if the prices weren't going to be close.  

4 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

After being long time Azamara cruisers, we too have booked our first Oceania this week.  Prices are much more competitive than the 2021 Azamara prices.  I can't justify the prices despite loving our Azamara on board experience.  I'm expecting others to follow suit with the crazy pricing....

Exactly the same scenario with us, we are fairly long time Azamara cruisers and love the on-board experience.  However we've been burned booking early then seeing dramatic price drops once too often.  

We board our first Oceania cruise in two weeks and have three more booked in Europe/Med this coming (European) summer 2020.   They were itineraries similar to those we’d looked at first on Azamara, but more realistic prices.  With all the O Life perks included, they end up being much better deals than Azamara.

I’m wary of the ‘double upgrade’ promo, you really need to know your prices.  One in particular that we were following doubled the inside price and increased the balcony price by $1000 in the double upgrade offer.

9 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

I’m wary of the ‘double upgrade’ promo, you really need to know your prices.  One in particular that we were following doubled the inside price and increased the balcony price by $1000 in the double upgrade offer.

I get it.  I'm only going to look at end price for a veranda and compare it to Oceania's veranda price.  Right now, I have Azamara booked as an Oceanview (probably a porthole window) and Oceania booked for a veranda.  I'll compare price per day in veranda on each.  Right now, it's not even close as Oceania's prices are much better.  I asked the future cruise guy onboard about the price differential.  He told me that Japan was not a "regular itinerary" for Azamara, especially during cherry blossom season and that the regulars would fill these up and that it may be a recurring itinerary for Oceania, so their prices may be lower.  I wanted to get future cruise credits, so I booked the Pursuit cruise, hoping the price would come down.  It's been a couple of months and there's been no movement on prices.  The A cruise and O cruises are four days apart, but I plan to book air early, so I'm not going to wait too long for Azamara on 2021.  I want air early to get a premium economy seat on the one daily direct flight to Tokyo.

It's possible Azamara's pricing strategy will work for them.  They may lose some regulars to Oceania and other boutique lines, but all they need to do is replace those passengers with newer ones.  Azamara's regulars love them.  They should love them back.  I get it.  Me?  I look for at each cruise separately and will always compare.  I need little reason to take my business elsewhere.  I loved my Azamara cruise.  They would have had me locked in if their prices were competitive.

I think it’s a fallacy that the regulars will book regardless of price.  Maybe 5% will but beyond that based on the regulars I know no, they are spinning the wrong line to the sales associates 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think it’s a fallacy that the regulars will book regardless of price.  Maybe 5% will but beyond that based on the regulars I know no, they are spinning the wrong line to the sales associates 

I agree. I am in touch with many regular Azamara cruisers and they all say the same thing.  The prices are crazy and they won't be booking at this level. I think that is a pretty good bellwether of the general feeling. 

Phil 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think there’s an certain arrogance about the pricing at the moment can’t get over a sales associate on Quest telling me that £750 per night for a balcony cabin on a 3 night cruise including my 7% LCV discount was a fantastic deal and getting very upset/aggressive when I said that I didn’t agree. 
Yes we like the Azamara experience but we don’t exclusively cruise Azamara and we are well aware of the alternatives and prices.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, uktog said:

I was told this on board.  If it's a fallacy, it's a fallacy that Azamara believes in.  I certainly don't believe it's true of Azamara regulars who post on CC.  How else do you think they justify charging so much more than their main competition for similar itineraries?  

5 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I was told this on board.  If it's a fallacy, it's a fallacy that Azamara believes in.  I certainly don't believe it's true of Azamara regulars who post on CC.  How else do you think they justify charging so much more than their main competition for similar itineraries?  

If they think they can get $14,000 cdn for a balcony cruising Spain in March, they’re delusional about a lot of things.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Did the staff tell you this?  What else would you expect them to say?!

Phil 

4 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Those that I referred to as keeping in touch with aren't necessarily CC members. It's more general than that. 

Phil 

6 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Only time will tell but in my opinion they are treading on very dangerous ground with current pricing.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

We booked the Journey 03.10.2020 Athens-Venice with our four free nights some 8 months ago. The original price for a V2 was $3000  p.p for 7 nights. We ended up paying about $1300.- p.p.

Definately a good deal and we are still happy with that. Point being that Azamara priced themselves at $430.- pr night p.p for the V2 at that time for a relatively popular cruise. IMO this is a correct pricing. If they charge more I will look elsewhere.