Cruise Critic Community
daisy-mae

All-female leadership team on the Edge for Women's Day

22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's just great.  Is this the most qualified team to lead the ship?

That is not the point of this cruise.  Don't ask such  a silly question.😀

6 minutes ago, keesar said:

That is not the point of this cruise.  Don't ask such  a silly question.😀

Ok, thanks for telling me I've made a mistake.  Whenever I sail on a cruise I always hoped that the most qualified cruise was in charge of the ship.  Thanks for telling me that's not the point.

This woman will be the second  to tell you you've made a mistake, a very common male mistake.

And I will be the third.

These women are ALREADY doing these jobs on the ships. They are just being consolidated into one crew for one week. No men are losing jobs - most likely it will be a swap for positions not already being ably filled by women on the Edge.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Whenever I sail on a cruise I always hoped that the most qualified cruise was in charge of the ship.

Huh?  

This is a thread promoting discrimination and should be removed. Inclusiveness should be the priority, not selecting people solely on gender or race.

Just want to point out that the term "all female leadership team" is not quite correct, as the only female engineer is a third engineer, so the Chief and Staff Chief are males, and these are in the top tier of shipboard management.  While I have, and am, serving with many females in the maritime industry, and could care less about their gender as long as they are qualified and capable, and while this PR opportunity is fine for bringing awareness to women in the maritime, I think that it should have been pointed out that a goal was to promote women in marine engineering, since this is the one area that Celebrity, and the industry as a whole is lacking in.

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

There are two other threads about this from yesterday.

I think one of them got removed pretty quickly because it was offensive and bigoted from the get-go. The other also linked to the news release and remained civil.

By definition, only 1 ship could ever have the "most" qualified. The only question anyone should ever ask is whether the crew IS qualified. There is no reason to think this one isn't. 

24 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The other also linked to the news release and remained civil.

That was mine. I was glad it stayed civil. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

By definition, only 1 ship could ever have the "most" qualified. The only question anyone should ever ask is whether the crew IS qualified. There is no reason to think this one isn't. 

I concur with your conclusion.  There is no reason do think Celebrity would allow anyone to even briefly perform a mission-critical role on their own if they did not meet the minimum standards of performance and competence. 

A poll came out yesterday the showed that 50% of men are " uncomfortable" with the idea of a woman president.  Unbelievable!  But then, I guess not.