I drink, wife doesn’t, so what should we do?

LongHill44

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

There have been many, many, post on here of people calling RCI and being able to purchase the deluxe drink package for just one person if the other person purchases the refreshment package.

While it may not be written policy it seems to be the current policy. It doesn't seem to be a matter of finding an agent that will do that for you. Seems almost all agent will do it.

I think there is also a huge difference between "policy" and "the way things are done." 
"Policy" is what Royal will rely on if they think trouble is brewing and need to fall back on a written statement.

"How things are done" seems to be "unwritten standard operating procedure" and what actually happens. 

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

To add, I don't think this is public knowledge that you can order one of each package. The only reason I knew was because of Cruise Critic. Most would just buy two of the same packages without thinking about it.

I liked it when there were different drink packages.  There used to be like a "classic" that had beers and wines, and then a "deluxe" that included liquors.   My husband doesn't like liquor drinks at all and primarily only drinks beer, and maybe a couple of glasses of wine.  I am not a huge beer person, but I like fruity drinks, rum, martinis. 
It worked so much better then because we both had drink packages but we got what we wanted out of it. 
Neither of us is a particularly big coffee drinker and we don't do a lot of juices. We drink "enough" alcohol that paying by the drink might land us with some surprises at the end, but I hate that we have to pay for the liquor drinks when he definitely won't use them.

Anyhow, it is what it is.  We will just pay the fee and be happy. 

Momofmab,  are you ready lady?  I can't wait.  I think you are on Brilliance with me on Christmas week.

Edited by legaljen1969
posted prematurely.

18 hours ago, LongHill44 said:

My wife may have a drink near the pool and maybe a glass of wine at dinner and that’s it.

Although I am no longer carrying kegs on shoulders and drinking from the nozzle, I think I will do over 10 drinks or more throughout the day.

So what do you all suggest we do?

Maybe trade her in for a younger model that likes to hit the bottle 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

There have been many, many, post on here of people calling RCI and being able to purchase the deluxe drink package for just one person if the other person purchases the refreshment package.

While it may not be written policy it seems to be the current policy. It doesn't seem to be a matter of finding an agent that will do that for you. Seems almost all agent will do it.

Every cruise we go on we do this.  I have never been questioned why.

18 hours ago, AlexisV said:

The only time an exception is made for the deluxe beverage package is if the other adult can't drink for medical or religious reasons, or - if they are a recovering alcoholic.  It's not just something you can do.  But if that exception is going to be made, it can only be done over the phone. 

Nope.  Just got off the phone with RCL.  Their policy is if a guest calls and want the Deluxe drink package and the refreshment package for partner, spouse etc. The guest will be allowed to purchase the requested packages. The guest does not have to give a reason.  This is done by phone only. 

Edited by crazyank

I am hardly the one being argumentative when it's my posts that are continually being quoted and argued with. I am simply replying to all the rude people who are insistant that I am giving wrong information. I am not sure why it keeps rubbing everyone the wrong way to communicate a policy. 

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I wouldn't have said anything because it's not my job to enforce the cruise line's policy.

Out of content , read in content of what I was replying too ,,,, It was about Intimidation of staff not policing drink policy .

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

Nope.  Just got off the phone with RCL.  Their policy is if a guest calls and want the Deluxe drink package and the refreshment package for partner, spouse etc. The guest will be allowed to purchase the requested packages. The guest does not have to give a reason.  This is done by phone only. 

this has been my experience each cruise we have taken.

Well the OP could buy the drink package and his wife the refreshment package. Then if she wanted a drink at the pool the husband could put it on his drink package. That way  the wife wouldn't have to order and the cruise line wouldn't know she is drinking.  Yeah, it's cheating the system but not a sin.   Or just bring your allotment of wine on board.  Or smuggle some booze on board and use her refreshment package for mixers.  Easy, peasy...cheating but still not a sin.

Edited by mac66

21 hours ago, LongHill44 said:

My wife may have a drink near the pool and maybe a glass of wine at dinner and that’s it.

Although I am no longer carrying kegs on shoulders and drinking from the nozzle, I think I will do over 10 drinks or more throughout the day.

So what do you all suggest we do?

Pay as you go and bring 2 bottles of wines yourself. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexisV said:

Don't make assumptions about me just because I don't personally buy it for myself.  I have just as much experience with them, if not more, than all of you.  Stop being a bunch of jerks just because I'm encouraging everyone not to expect it. What is the damn problem with erring on the side of caution and setting realistic expectations?

Yep that about says it all....Thank you

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:
5 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Wait until you're ON the ship, and if you want to buy a package, I'm pretty sure they will do it.

Dont do that, it's way more expensive. 

Maybe.  I thought I read a post here that if you buy the deluxe drink package on the ship, there is NO requirement for your cabin mate to buy any package.  Not sure if that's true as I have no first hand experience.  Hopefully someone can confirm?

But if it's true,   then it's possible that even though you are paying top dollar for the drink deluxe package, it might still be cheaper than buy the 2 packages  (deluxe and refreshment)  even if they are on sale on-line.

Last I heard, expect to pay $ 63-70, even up to $84 on ship for the deluxe package, depending on ship, itinerary, etc, etc...

19 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Maybe.  I thought I read a post here that if you buy the deluxe drink package on the ship, there is NO requirement for your cabin mate to buy any package.  Not sure if that's true as I have no first hand experience.  Hopefully someone can confirm?

But if it's true,   then it's possible that even though you are paying top dollar for the drink deluxe package, it might still be cheaper than buy the 2 packages  (deluxe and refreshment)  even if they are on sale on-line.

Last I heard, expect to pay $ 63-70, even up to $84 on ship for the deluxe package, depending on ship, itinerary, etc, etc...

Whether you purchase on the ship or before cruising, each guest 21 and over must purchase the package. 

• Thanks 1

I disagree with most on here. I think you both need the drink package. If your wife drinks 3 a day then she could easily have one or 2 more for breakeven. A few coffees or fresh juice, you are at breakeven. I f she was a nondrinker, I would go with a deluxe and a refreshment.. But she is not and a cruise is a nice place to try fun new drinks, whether smoothies or frozen mojitos. Get 2 and have no worrying about the bill at the end.

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I think this may depend on the ship. We were on the Indy several years ago. An elderly couple wanted to buy just 1 deluxe drink package as the wife's medication prevented her from drinking alcohol. They did not want to buy a refreshment package for her either.   

The waiter selling the packages made this couple go down to the medical bay so that the ship's doctor could verify that the wife's medication prevented her from drinking alcohol.  It was either that or the husband could not buy his deluxe package. 

I know this happened because we were buying our packages at the same time. This may have been a 1 off or the waiter was following the rules because the wife did not want to buy any type of package

18 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

I liked it when there were different drink packages.  There used to be like a "classic" that had beers and wines, and then a "deluxe" that included liquors.   My husband doesn't like liquor drinks at all and primarily only drinks beer, and maybe a couple of glasses of wine.  I am not a huge beer person, but I like fruity drinks, rum, martinis. 
It worked so much better then because we both had drink packages but we got what we wanted out of it. 
Neither of us is a particularly big coffee drinker and we don't do a lot of juices. We drink "enough" alcohol that paying by the drink might land us with some surprises at the end, but I hate that we have to pay for the liquor drinks when he definitely won't use them.

Anyhow, it is what it is.  We will just pay the fee and be happy. 

Momofmab,  are you ready lady?  I can't wait.  I think you are on Brilliance with me on Christmas week.

Locked & loaded 😁

2 hours ago, livinginyellow said:

If this is helpful, I tried to map pricing out based on a variety of different factors on a blog post: maybehttps://www.anyadventurewithyou.com/cruise-drinks-package-should-you-buy-one/ maybe it can help figure out whether the pricing is worth it, even if you drink more than your wife. 

After looking at the various scenario's, it seems Royal tends to be on the high end of the price scale while - surprisingly - Holland is consistently one of the cheapest.

Gives me something to look forward to as I approach old age!

On 11/19/2019 at 6:34 PM, AlexisV said:

The only time an exception is made for the deluxe beverage package is if the other adult can't drink for medical or religious reasons, or - if they are a recovering alcoholic.  It's not just something you can do.  But if that exception is going to be made, it can only be done over the phone. 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:15 PM, AlexisV said:

I'm sorry - but this is simply not true.  There are only certain exception made with this policy.  The listed reasons are correct, however, that doesn't mean an agent will not make mistakes and make exceptions that shouldn't be accommodated - but the policy is clear. 

My experience three times has been I get the refreshment he gets unlimited no questions asked. I don't drink but was asked if I would like something pay as you go from our waiter who knew I had refreshment so it may vary ship to ship?