Arcadia in Comparison to Queen Victoria

LewiLewi

We are thinking of taking the 2021 World Cruise on the Arcadia. We have cruised on Cunard’s Victoria and Elizabeth for the 2017 and 2019 World Cruise and enjoyed it immensely. One of our British friends onboard suggested that we try the Arcadia for our next World Cruise. 
We would like to know how similar or different a World Cruise would be on the Arcadia as compared to Cunard in terms of entertainment, meals, dress code, passengers, etc. Also, do many Americans also sail on her?

Thank you.

Arcadia was originally built by Fincantieri on behalf of Carnival Cruise Corporation and allocated to Cunard.  It was due to become Queen Victoria, then for whatever reason the build was switched to P&O and did not become Queen Victoria. It should be somewhat similar as a vessel but Cunard and P&O do different service as you are well aware.

Regards John

Whilst they were built to a similar footprint, they are very, very different ships.  I've not been aboard Victoria but have sailed on Elizabeth.  Personally, I feel Cunard have tried to keep a traditional, deco feel to the interiors whilst Arcadia is very modern/contemporary.  Arcadia only has one main dining room, split over two decks.  There are two for-fee restaurants.  If you haven't seen much of Arcadia, take a look at this comprehensive video filmed by two passengers, which will give you a good idea of what she is like.

The passengers on a World Cruise will be almost exclusively British out of Southampton but it is likely there will be a significant quota of Australians on any Southern Hemisphere sector.

This is purely my personal feeling but I do feel you might think P&O is a bit of a step down from Cunard.  My own view is that food and service on Cunard are a notch up from P&O - but then of course you pay a significant amount more on Cunard.

I am looking forward to a 39-night sector of Arcadia's World Cruise in 2021.

If you have any specific questions please do ask.

I have sailed on Arcadia and just back from QM2. Next sailing Arcadia 2020 World cruise.  I have no desire to sail with Cunard again the officers from Captain Wells down were bordering rude and unfriendly I am so glad I had not booked a world cruise on Cunard.  The service received from the Dining Room was no better than P&O.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Clipper Chick said:

I have sailed on Arcadia and just back from QM2. Next sailing Arcadia 2020 World cruise.  I have no desire to sail with Cunard again the officers from Captain Wells down were bordering rude and unfriendly I am so glad I had not booked a world cruise on Cunard.  The service received from the Dining Room was no better than P&O.  

We have just returned from QM2 last Sunday and the food was as good as we have ever had on a cruise far higher standard then P&O and have sailed with Captain Wells a number of times and would never say he was ever rude or unfriendly.

• Like 2

The only difference regarding dining AFAIK is that Cunard has no freedom option,unless of course you are club or grills.It is still the same 2 tier restaurant layout for "ordinary" peeps.

Edited by brian1

Can't say I'm in a hurry to go to Cunard again. We sailed on Queen Victoria last year, expecting a notch up from P&O. Quite a disappointment. Main Dining Room was no better, in fact the lobster was not a patch on P&O, plus they don't have the list of standbys on the menu if there is nothing to tickle your fancy of an evening. The buffet was better (but that's no saying much), the service at the afternoon tea appalling and the Headliners company an embarrassment. Over all, not worth the extra expense (though I had snagged a bargain that was not too much more than the P&O equivalent)

55 minutes ago, Barnum42 said:

Can't say I'm in a hurry to go to Cunard again. We sailed on Queen Victoria last year, expecting a notch up from P&O. Quite a disappointment. Main Dining Room was no better, in fact the lobster was not a patch on P&O, plus they don't have the list of standbys on the menu if there is nothing to tickle your fancy of an evening. The buffet was better (but that's no saying much), the service at the afternoon tea appalling and the Headliners company an embarrassment. Over all, not worth the extra expense (though I had snagged a bargain that was not too much more than the P&O equivalent)

There are standby options exactly the same as P&O. We came back from Queen Elizabeth last month and they are certainly available. Did you ask? 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 3:33 PM, Barnum42 said:

Have to agree with this assessment. 

I have found the on board speakers better on Cunard but in every other area I prefer P&O. 

As you say better food and more choice in the MDR. Far better headliners shows too. 

A more reasonable dress code (I don’t want to wear a jacket on holiday!) and fairly priced drinks for those that indulge nudges the balance towards P&O for me. 

Cunard’s decor and atmosphere is more traditional and perhaps elegant but the novelty of this wears off for me after a couple of days...

Not been on Victoria but have been on QE a couple of times.  I believe they are sister ships.   One of the big differences which I don't think has been mentioned is the dedicated ballroom which if people like dancing may be an attraction.  The afternoon tea which is very nice is served in there too.

The fish and chips served in the Pub at lunchtime is excellent too!!!

I agree with the points made about drinks being very much more expensive on Cunard and also felt the shows weren't as good as P&O which I think have improved so much over recent years.

Edited by kruzseeka

On 11/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, majortom10 said:

We have just returned from QM2 last Sunday and the food was as good as we have ever had on a cruise far higher standard then P&O and have sailed with Captain Wells a number of times and would never say he was ever rude or unfriendly.

Another who has never found Captain Wells rude or unfriendly, quite the opposite.   Would choose Arcadia over Queen Victoria as others have said, contemporary and a better layout that Queen Victoria, that they have tried to instil the traditional Cunard look on.  Strangely, the only cruise captain I have ever met - let alone sailed with - who I didn't warm to was one of Arcadia's first captains, Steve Burgoine, who never looked or acted like he was very keen to mingle with passengers.

Edited by showingdiva

13 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Another who has never found Captain Wells rude or unfriendly, quite the opposite.   Would choose Arcadia over Queen Victoria as others have said, contemporary and a better layout that Queen Victoria, that they have tried to instil the traditional Cunard look on.  Strangely, the only cruise captain I have ever met - let alone sailed with - who I didn't warm to was one of Arcadia's first captains, Steve Burgoine, who never looked or acted like he was very keen to mingle with passengers.

He was Captain on our very first cruise with P&O one of 😁 4 initial maiden cruises which went on to become 3 when 1st Maiden cruise  Aurora broke down and always found him very polite and friendly. He went on to become Commodore before he retired.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, majortom10 said:

He was Captain on our very first cruise with P&O one of 😁 4 initial maiden cruises which went on to become 3 when 1st Maiden cruise  Aurora broke down and always found him very polite and friendly. He went on to become Commodore before he retired.

He did.  His daughter was working as a photographer on the fleet, including on Arcadia when he first took command.   He was very polite, but in four consecutive captain's gala evenings, each time he stood in the corner talking to his fellow officers.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, LewiLewi said:

We are thinking of taking the 2021 World Cruise on the Arcadia. We have cruised on Cunard’s Victoria and Elizabeth for the 2017 and 2019 World Cruise and enjoyed it immensely. One of our British friends onboard suggested that we try the Arcadia for our next World Cruise. 
We would like to know how similar or different a World Cruise would be on the Arcadia as compared to Cunard in terms of entertainment, meals, dress code, passengers, etc. Also, do many Americans also sail on her?

Thank you.

Good afternoon LewiLewi.

I have sailed with both Cunard and P&O and believe that going in the right frame of mind on either will offer its just rewards.

I would certainly support the previous comment regarding 'onboard speakers' which tend to generally be of a higher standard with Cunard as is the onboard Ballroom dancing: if that's you're forte.

While of course I have no insight into your financial being I would certainly say that cost wise a similar number of nights would be considerably cheaper with P&O on the basic price and even more advantageous when drinking alcohol onboard.

Dress wise P&O are a little more relaxed though expect more Formal evenings (always well supported) on P&O pro rata the length of the cruise.

Unless you are planning to sail Cunard Grills I'd say from my recent 24 nights dining on Arcadia...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/10/28/arcadias-canadian-round-trip/

...that there there would be little to choose in food quality.

And finally from me, in answer to one particular question, you are highly unlikely to meet any Americans onboard Arcadia.

Hope that helps.

We have been on both, the entertainment on QV was excellent, Roy Walker for two nights..just my taste. Arcadia was also very good. Guest speakers very good on both ships. Food in the pub on QV at dinner time a lovely bonus. The lovely company and people on Arcadia made the trip....I could go on... but room service menu on Arcadia needs a huge look at...QV excellent and complimentary. Ocean grill superb..well worth the money.  My sons favourite was Neptune’s grill Arcadia deck 9 by the pool with different burgers and dogs every day...but not advertised on their boards is fish and chips cooked to order 7 minutes...the batter excellent...the cod milky cooked to perfection...smallish portions..order two you won’t regret it.