11:50 flight out of FLL after Miami cruise?

mrsgthatsme

I have been reading lots of responses on this board about the best flight times out of FLL when sailing from the Port of Miami. It seems like many people are saying shoot for after noon for departure time. Unfortunately, the schedule for the day we are leaving (a Monday in early May) isn't ideal. There is a flight leaving out of FLL at 11:50, then none until much later in the day (5 pm-ish) unless you want to pay triple the price. Would a 11:50 flight be pushing it to get to FLL from POM? What time would you think we would need to get off the ship to make this? I don't want to feel rushed and nervous on disembarkment day, but also know that sitting around an airport for hours isn't too much fun either. I would welcome your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks!

Are you flying within the USA?

I would get off before 8:30   either get  UBER or taxi  & you will probably be fine  if you get to FLL by 945am  it is aprox 1 hr away depending on traffic..that gives you some wiggle room for security lines etc

Friends get off  early before 8:30  take SAS shuttle to FLL for  11:30 am  domestic flight

For an 11:50 flight you need to be at FLL NLT 10:20 - and 10 or before is better given they typical TSA chaos.  With the ride from POM to FLL taking about 45+ minutes, and adding 15 minutes to find/load your Uber/Lyft/Taxi/shared shuttle, that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration by 9:00 or before.  Should not be hard if you carry your own bags off or get a very low number.

Or take the later flight, sleep in, enjoy breakfast in the MDR, stroll of the ship late, Uber/Lyft or shuttle to FLL, pay to store your bags, and then go to ride the water taxi and find some place fun for a long and boozy lunch!  Check in for your 5:00 flight about 3:00.  Your other option is to head to South Beach, pay to store your bags at the Luggage Lounge, and then explore SB - beach, people watching, art deco architecture, hop-on/off bus tour, etc.  Then about 2:30 or so you can collect your bags and head to FLL.

Your call!   Have a great cruise! 😎

• Like 1

I'd take 11:50 in a heartbeat.  Just do self-assist disembarkation at Miami.  You'll easily make the flight.  We are home from PortMiami by 8AM and we live a bit further than the FLL airport.  I couldn't imagine having trouble making an 11:50 flight if you disembark early.  That's not even remotely stressful.

I'd hate to have to sit around an extra 5+ hours if I didn't have to.

Edited by BNBR

If you do decide to take the later flight you can get a day room at the FLL Rodeway Inn for about $60. It ain’t the Ritz but it’s clean with a nice pool and recently remodeled rooms. They have a great restaurant next door. You can also get a shuttle to the airport. We have done this several times and it’s nice to sit by the pool, have lunch and shower before our flight. 

Thanks to all for the feedback. We have never done self disembarkation... what time does it begin? Is there a lot of waiting in line, or can you just walk right off with your bags? I truly would prefer not to wait around with two kids, and it seems like we are always so exhausted and ready to get home after we disembark, so I don't think we will really want to add a day of sightseeing or activity in Florida to bide our time.... If we could self disembark and make the 11:50 without a lot of stress, that would be my first choice. 

Yes, there can be a decent amount of people in line but it moves quickly.  Best is to ask guest services the procedure for that ship.  Tell them you have an early flight, as they almost always have special lines or meeting area for that group.  We always do self assist with our young kids.  It's not a big deal.  Give it a shot 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 2:05 PM, BNBR said:

I'd take 11:50 in a heartbeat.  Just do self-assist disembarkation at Miami.  You'll easily make the flight.  We are home from PortMiami by 8AM and we live a bit further than the FLL airport.  I couldn't imagine having trouble making an 11:50 flight if you disembark early.  That's not even remotely stressful.

I'd hate to have to sit around an extra 5+ hours if I didn't have to.

Is this with the ship porting time 7am? If I take my luggage off about how long would it take from ship to where shuttles park? TIA

12 minutes ago, Jerseygirlinohio said:

Is this with the ship porting time 7am? If I take my luggage off about how long would it take from ship to where shuttles park? TIA

7 would be fine.  I'm not sure where you are getting off the ship, but I've walked off the ship and been outside by the taxis within a couple of minutes and as long as 30 min.  But really, just self assist early and head to the airport.  11:50 is not a risky flight time.