Online check-in options when passport has not arrived yet

PrincessCatarina

Wondering if anyone has had experience with the following scenario:

I already checked in online with my family for our upcoming cruise and secured a good port arrival time. We are all set. However, we have a person in our party of 6 travelling in a separate stateroom with her husband and kid. She has applied for a passport, but it may not arrive by the time online check-in opens for them (first-time cruisers). It is my understanding she could not complete online check-in and get a port arrival time without a valid ID that matches her name on the Disney reservation. She does have a passport, but it was issued under her maiden name (= last name does not match her name on the DCL reservation) and her birth certificate also has her maiden name.

Could she use her birth certificate to complete online check-in, and present passport when checking in at the port? 

If not, can the other two family members in the same room go ahead and check-in and get a PAT...but would she then not be allowed to board with them if her PAT is e.g. an hour later?

Just trying to figure out what the impact is if her passport is delayed. We would like to all board together and make it to the embarkation day sit-down lunch, which I believe means we have to be at the dining room door by 2pm (Disney Dream). 

39 minutes ago, PrincessCatarina said:

Wondering if anyone has had experience with the following scenario:

I already checked in online with my family for our upcoming cruise and secured a good port arrival time. We are all set. However, we have a person in our party of 6 travelling in a separate stateroom with her husband and kid. She has applied for a passport, but it may not arrive by the time online check-in opens for them (first-time cruisers). It is my understanding she could not complete online check-in and get a port arrival time without a valid ID that matches her name on the Disney reservation. She does have a passport, but it was issued under her maiden name (= last name does not match her name on the DCL reservation) and her birth certificate also has her maiden name.

Could she use her birth certificate to complete online check-in, and present passport when checking in at the port? 

If not, can the other two family members in the same room go ahead and check-in and get a PAT...but would she then not be allowed to board with them if her PAT is e.g. an hour later?

Just trying to figure out what the impact is if her passport is delayed. We would like to all board together and make it to the embarkation day sit-down lunch, which I believe means we have to be at the dining room door by 2pm (Disney Dream). 

Just have her complete the online check in using the "other identification" option.  At such time as the passport comes, she can change the information later.

Or, she can just wait until checking in at the port to change it.

11 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Just have her complete the online check in using the "other identification" option.  At such time as the passport comes, she can change the information later.

Or, she can just wait until checking in at the port to change it.

Are you saying the other identification options allows her to completely bypass entering identification? That would be great!

5 minutes ago, PrincessCatarina said:

Are you saying the other identification options allows her to completely bypass entering identification? That would be great!

As I recall, it will ask what type ID you're using, but I don't think you have to enter any other info (numbers, names, etc).  This picture shows the page (from a couple of years ago, don't know if it's changed) with the "passport" option selected.  I believe when you select the "Photo & Government ID" option you won't be prompted for any other info.  

885449039_12onlinecheckinidentification.thumb.jpg.784be4e23b0ae0da359acf5d18d72346.jpg

The screen still looks like that, but since it has an * noting required info on the number and expiration fields I took it to mean it will not allow for bypassing without these details. I'm already checked in and don't want to mess up the info by backing any information out. 

If her passport does not arrive on time we will call DCL to find out what the options are. 

19 minutes ago, PrincessCatarina said:

The screen still looks like that, but since it has an * noting required info on the number and expiration fields I took it to mean it will not allow for bypassing without these details. I'm already checked in and don't want to mess up the info by backing any information out. 

If her passport does not arrive on time we will call DCL to find out what the options are. 

You (anyone) can go into your online check in at anytime up to (I think) 3 days prior to cruise and change any information you wish.  There's no problem with that.

If you select "passport" the window for the number/expiration opens.  I'm not sure it does if you select "photo & government ID".

1 hour ago, PrincessCatarina said:

Another option - when you do the online check in, the system only recognizes that you've filled in all the spaces, not that the information is correct.  Sometimes people just fill in the blanks with gibberish (made up numbers & dates) to get to the next step.  And, as I said, you can go into the reservation and correct any mistakes that were made at a later time.  Or just wait until you show up at the port to do that.

If your friend has her passport number (even in the wrong name), she can just put in the information from that passport, then update the information when the passport arrives. As Shmoo pointed out, even if she doesn't have the correct number, she can probably put in an incorrect number for now too. Since official IDs must be presented at the port, my guess is that the online check-in asks for information to make sure passengers recognize they will need it in order to cruise.

If she is a US citizen on a cruise that departs from and returns to the same US port, she can just use her drivers' license or state ID along with her birth certificate and marriage license, both for online check-in and, if necessary, at the port.

Edited by mommb

2 hours ago, mommb said:

If your friend has her passport number (even in the wrong name), she can just put in the information from that passport, then update the information when the passport arrives. As Shmoo pointed out, even if she doesn't have the correct number, she can probably put in an incorrect number for now too. Since official IDs must be presented at the port, my guess is that the online check-in asks for information to make sure passengers recognize they will need it in order to cruise.

If she is a US citizen on a cruise that departs from and returns to the same US port, she can just use her drivers' license or state ID along with her birth certificate and marriage license, both for online check-in and, if necessary, at the port.

Thank you, these are great suggestions, assuming their online check-in system does not have the ability to verify information? Her old passport under her maiden name is at the passport office being voided, as part of the process of them issuing a new passport. 

She is a U.S. citizen, and this passport will definitely arrive soon - just perhaps a few days late for the 75-day online check-in. If DL is allowed for online check-in, she could certainly use that as a placeholder. 

I think we will call DCL the day prior to check-in if the passport has not arrived, just to make sure we are doing the right thing. I'll be doing the online check-in on her behalf as soon as this is possible at midnight EST.