Pet Peeves In Luminae and Elsewhere

Plato123

We just got back off the Reflection which is still a great ship but starting to show its age.  A few things on this trip (and experienced on others) that irk me are as follows:.

First:  baseball hats (and cowboy hats)  in dining rooms including Luminae. The baseball hats are specifically mentioned as not permitted in the "dress code" in the daily program but this never seems to be enforced.  Would it help if a hat stand was available on entering the dining room?  Better than putting a sweaty old hat on the table that your (and others) food is served on if one bothers to remove the hat at all..

Second: Cold tomatoes .  Do you want to eat a calabrese salad fresh from the fridge?  There is no flavour left when tomatoes and mozzarella are cold, so why bother even putting them on the menu. Even Murano is guilty of serving cold tomatoes.

Third:  The Luminae cheese plate.  This is a little different than the prior item, because there is a work around.  The regular cheese plate is served right from the fridge. Terrible.  If you ask nicely at the beginning of your meal, you can get the Luminae cheese plate replaced by a superb selection of room temperature cheeses from Murano.   You will not have a choice of cheeses but if you know enjoy your cheeses, especially French cheeses, you will not be disappointed.

I have more but will stop now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our only Sky Suite experience on Celebrity was on Mercury which did not have Luminae, but we'll be sailing SS on Equinox in January so I am following with interest.

I agree; serving cold caprese salad is silly.  Really any restaurant on a "modern luxury" ship should serve items at correct temps but definitely the suite restaurant.

I sailed with my dad on Silhouette Transatlantic 24 Oct - 8 Nov 2019.  On 8 October he suffered a bad fall resulting in 11 stitches on the front of his forehead so wore a baseball hat to cover the plaster/scars whilst recovering.  Occasionally he forgot to remove the cap when entering the MDR and was always asked to remove it which he did apologising for his oversight.  Maybe some others ignore the request and crew members are unable to force issues.

Just to say his scar is healing rapidly now.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Plato123, what else do you have to talk about?

I suppose hats are like shorts?  Is there a no shorts rule, and is it enforced?  Apparently the rule about hats is not enforced.

Edited by zitsky

Celebrity seems to following most of the other lines in not enforcing dress codes. Although most people do, we were on a charter on summit last year and one gentleman would remove his shoes while eating this was in luminae we requested a table far away for rest of the cruise.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

My pet peeve was a table of 6 video calling at breakfast to family. While it is great to call family. I just dont think Luminae is the right place.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My pet peeve in Luminae would be children playing on the floor.

Either of those would rank at the top of my list.  Fortunately the only children we have seen in Luminae were very well behaved.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Either of those would rank at the top of my list.  Fortunately the only children we have seen in Luminae were very well behaved.  

Our celebrity cruises are normally music charters with amazing entertainment and adults only. 

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

@Plato123, what else do you have to talk about?

I suppose hats are like shorts?  Is there a no shorts rule, and is it enforced?  Apparently the rule about hats is not enforced.

They politely turned away a gentleman in shorts on a recent Eclipse sailing.  He left and returned a short time later and still in shorts and demanding to be admitted. He was again politely denied entry at which point he launched into a long tirade aimed at the MaitreD, who remained calm but firm.   So some staff members do enforce the dress code 

• Like 11

As to the issues of wearing baseball caps at table, mis-behaved children and video chatting in a restaurant ,these are all the result of too much entitlement and too little manners.

In a recent People magazine article, there was an editorial essay regarding kindness. It mentioned the use of computer technology and social media causing a disconnect of people to other people in society. Using text messaging instead of a phone conversation, sending thank you messages and invitations through texting or e mails instead of mailing such correspondence, online shopping instead of going into a store  are all examples of the impersonal way people interact with each other. 

IMO, this disconnect is contributing to the sellf- absorption, entitlement and lack of regard for others we see happening today. Not a good development ! 

• Like 17

11 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

I sailed with my dad on Silhouette Transatlantic 24 Oct - 8 Nov 2019.  On 8 October he suffered a bad fall resulting in 11 stitches on the front of his forehead so wore a baseball hat to cover the plaster/scars whilst recovering.  Occasionally he forgot to remove the cap when entering the MDR and was always asked to remove it which he did apologising for his oversight.  Maybe some others ignore the request and crew members are unable to force issues.

Just to say his scar is healing rapidly now.

I also wore a baseball cap (an Edge cap) to cover lots of fresh stitches in my forehead/scalp, bruises and steri-strips on the bridge of my nose after a fall on the Edge gangway. We didn't have dinner at Luminae, but had lunch and breakfast there - also went to some beautiful new specialty restaurants. I felt like a loser wearing the hat into these beautiful venues, but always apologized to the Maitre 'D and lifted my hat to show them. They always said "Don't worry - keep the hat on!" 🙂

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My pet peeve in Luminae would be children playing on the floor.

Last cruise on one night only in Luminae there was a family with a noisy child.  The father wore a baseball hat.  The latter is a pet peeve of mine too.  There is no place for a baseball hat at dinner.  I appreciate that this is much more of an American culture thing, but it looks awful.  Yes, he should have been asked to remove it, but obviously wasn’t or had an excuse.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

They politely turned away a gentleman in shorts on a recent Eclipse sailing.  He left and returned a short time later and still in shorts and demanding to be admitted. He was again politely denied entry at which point he launched into a long tirade aimed at the MaitreD, who remained calm but firm.   So some staff members do enforce the dress code 

A guy (not young, more of a senior like we are) was wearing shorts last night at the next table from us in Luminae on Silhouette - Evening Chic night.

14 hours ago, Plato123 said:

We just got back off the Reflection which is still a great ship but starting to show its age.  A few things on this trip (and experienced on others) that irk me are as follows:.

First:  baseball hats (and cowboy hats)  in dining rooms including Luminae. The baseball hats are specifically mentioned as not permitted in the "dress code" in the daily program but this never seems to be enforced.  Would it help if a hat stand was available on entering the dining room?  Better than putting a sweaty old hat on the table that your (and others) food is served on if one bothers to remove the hat at all..

Second: Cold tomatoes .  Do you want to eat a calabrese salad fresh from the fridge?  There is no flavour left when tomatoes and mozzarella are cold, so why bother even putting them on the menu. Even Murano is guilty of serving cold tomatoes.

Third:  The Luminae cheese plate.  This is a little different than the prior item, because there is a work around.  The regular cheese plate is served right from the fridge. Terrible.  If you ask nicely at the beginning of your meal, you can get the Luminae cheese plate replaced by a superb selection of room temperature cheeses from Murano.   You will not have a choice of cheeses but if you know enjoy your cheeses, especially French cheeses, you will not be disappointed.

I have more but will stop now.

My Parents taught me when I was growing up in the 50s that it was crude, rude and socially unacceptable to wear a hat, sitting at a table at a restaurant.  Times have surely changed.  In the 50s, if we went out to eat, even to the Dairy Queen, my Dad wore his suit.  Today men go in restaurants wearing T-shirts, wearing hats and who knows what else.  The current fashion for young women is wearing jeans with rips cut at the knees.   I call it the grunge revolution.   If I am wearing a hat, I always put it on a hat rack or stick it in my belt at my lower back.   I try to wear shits with collars going to a restaurant.

When we visited Japan in 2015, it was wonderful.  You don't see grunge.  People dress very nicely and you don't see trash on the streets.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

I try to wear shits with collars going to a restaurant.

Impressive!  But I will assume this is a typo! 😉

For the record, I  do agree with all the above posts that it is nice to provide a dining experience with decorum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

My pet peeve was a table of 6 video calling at breakfast to family. While it is great to call family. I just dont think Luminae is the right place.

Same thing on a cruise we were on.  They were doing a video call and it sounded as if they haven’t been in touch for a long time.   How old is so and so now?   What are they doing.   You have a dog?   Put the dog on I want to say Hi and see it.   I didn’t know that  XYZ died.  When did that happen.  ....    

Besides having a large group sitting together being very loud when they get on a phone it is as if they need to holler for the others to hear.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

My pet peeve was when the Captain Club host asked us to move from our seats at the bar (15 minutes into happy hour)at the Sky Observation Lounge because we were sitting in the seats that zenith people usually sat at.  Silly me thought there was no saving seats, especially around a bar! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1