JEWELLRY PURCHASED ON BOARD

daisybel

My husband  bought me a necklace with a small diamond cluster when on board in March. I received a valuation certificate from Cunard.

I took it to a local up market   jeweller in Australia to have it valued and was pretty disappointed that the value was much less than Cunard's valuation.

Anyone else experienced this?

However I love it  and get plenty of comments when wearing it- just interested in getting a second opinion!

Not from Cunard, but we’ve had the opposite experience where the item was valued higher once we got home. When asked to explain the discrepancy the local jeweller said they were different types of valuation. One was an insurance valuation, ie. “What would it cost to replace the item”, I forget what he called the other but it was basically “ What could I expect to sell it for.” So the low one is what he would pay for it in order to sell it at the high one.

Or it could be that that type of item is generally cheaper in Australia than wherever the Cunard valuation was written?

But as long as you love it, that’s the important thing.

• Like 1

It is because even with the promise of dut and tax free prices and 50% off deals the jewellery is in general overpriced and not good value. The only thing that I would say was good value was my wife bought an item of Clogau on QM2 last week with a 20% off sale day and when priced at home was a very good price even with the poor US$ to £ rate we are getting at the moment.

Edited by majortom10

Like Colin, we've had insurance valuations for jewelry regularly exceed the price we'd paid. It's somewhat victimless, in that the owner feels like a good deal was gotten, and if the insurance is on an itemized list of valuable personal property the owner is essentially paying an inflated premium for inflated coverage.

Having tried to sell jewelry, my experience is that the appraiser is primarily concerned with the street value of the gold content of the setting without regard to workmanship and some value for gems that ensures a profit when resold. 

On 11/21/2019 at 6:08 AM, daisybel said:

My husband  bought me a necklace with a small diamond cluster when on board in March. I received a valuation certificate from Cunard.

I took it to a local up market   jeweller in Australia to have it valued and was pretty disappointed that the value was much less than Cunard's valuation.

Anyone else experienced this?

However I love it  and get plenty of comments when wearing it- just interested in getting a second opinion!

The trouble with jewellery you may only get the value of the weight (if gold) but you will have paid more for the art work when you made the purchase.🍷🥃

On 11/21/2019 at 6:08 AM, daisybel said:

Thank you for all your replies. Just interested as a value comparison! I don't think I could buy a car for what my necklace was worth- we also had a good OBC so very happy with purchase and look forward to wearing it on QE Christmas Cruise:classic_love:

Any time you buy anything from a person better qualified than you to gauge its real value, you are almost certain to pay more than it is worth.  The person who knows more about whatever it is (ordinarily a jeweler, car dealer, art dealer, whoever) will not let it go to someone who knows less (usually you) for less than its objective value.

Your own personal valuation - based upon intangibles such as memory-building - may very well outweigh the objective value —— but cruise ship passengers are kidding themselves when they think they get great deals based upon objective value.