LIVE – Explorer Transatlantic – 11/23 – 12/7/2019

Travelcat2

How are the sound volume levels in the various venues?  

On the September/October Explorer cruise the theater volume was annoying loud. The observation lounge amplified piano was okay especially compared to a year ago when it too was uncomfortably loud.  Live music in the other lounges was also too loud to be enjoyable, IMO.  Very disappointing.  Complaints about the volume didn't change anything.  

Jackie:  check you email. 

Wow!!!  OSJ during Christmas season should be memorable. Please make sure you don’t make a rookie tourist mistake and order Bacardi rum and coke while on the island. Trust me. No self-respecting Puertorican would drink it. Try some Don Q and coke. Also, the local beer, Medalla Light is great in an ice cold bottle. 

OSJ is a great architectural and historical treat you can enjoy while walking around. A great beer and drink dive is El Batey bar next to the cathedral. There is a picture of a clown in there that was the grandfather of one of my troops. 

What time do you dock in San Juan?

Z and TB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Jackie:  check you email. 

Wow!!!  OSJ during Christmas season should be memorable. Please make sure you don’t make a rookie tourist mistake and order Bacardi rum and coke while on the island. Trust me. No self-respecting Puertorican would drink it. Try some Don Q and coke. Also, the local beer, Medalla Light is great in an ice cold bottle. 

OSJ is a great architectural and historical treat you can enjoy while walking around. A great beer and drink dive is El Batey bar next to the cathedral. There is a picture of a clown in there that was the grandfather of one of my troops. 

What time do you dock in San Juan?

Z and TB

LOL, that tip about  the Cuba Libre is great! Another dive recommendation is Marilyn's ( Calle San Francisco 100) for their great mojitos! 

Jackie - a question if you don't mind!

On Oceania, in the "name suites", you can "order in" from any of the speciality restaurants every evening.  I know on Regent you can order in from the Compass Rose but how about Pacific Rim, P7 etc ??  Is that possible too?

Good morning from somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.  Today is the Buffet Extravaganza that can is only held on Explorer.  Many photos of this event have been posted in the past so I may take some photos and post sometime.  I’m taking a break from the frustration of trying to post photos and having 75% of them fail.  

Thanks for the hints for our visit to San Juan.  The last (and only) time that we were there we did make a rookie mistake ........ went to the Bacardi Rum Factory (did it on our own - not with the excursion).  Hoping for good weather so that we can check some of these places out.  

In terms of volume...... the theater is still much too loud.  I plan on taking our Bose noise reducing headphones to the theater and will learn if it works to lessen the sound.  The Meridian Lounge is not loud.  In the past, the loudest lounge was the Explorer Lounge.  Hoping to check it out this evening as we want to hear the group there - reportedly very good.

Gerry - yes - we can order from Pacific Rim as well as Chartreuse, P7 and Compass Rose.  They like you to order from one dining venue for each meal in order to insure the flow of the food delivery.  It would be extremely difficult, for instance, if you were ordering from CR on deck 4, P7 on deck 10 and Pacific Rim and deck 5.  

Last night was the Seven Seas Society party.  We missed it and also missed having Miso Glazed Sea Bass in CR.  However, we are dining in Pacific Rim tonight and will have the Miso Coated Black Cod (equally delicious).  

Strange as it may sound, on this cruise, we are enjoying Chartreuse very much.  There was a mis-step and slow service the first time we went there but it has been perfect ever since.  

The new crew members that I complained about are becoming great servers, etc.  It just took a week or so to come up to speed.  So, service is back on track, food remains great and the ship continues to rock (did use the glasses again yesterday and they worked perfectly).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Good morning from somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

Laughed when I read this, since the ship is in the Atlantic. Maybe you were hoping we were in the Pacific Ocean, might be calmer and warmer.

Agree that service has improved over the last week but there are still a few new servers that look lost.  Had one this morning, she was clueless on what she was suppose to be doing even though others where trying to direct her. She couldn't follow directions on the simplest things like getting coffee.  Felt rather sorry for her but she just wasn't understanding.

Tried to use the Canyon Spa this morning, first time ever on any of our Regent cruises.  Didn't work out well,.  Made an appointment for this morning, I confirmed it verbally, they confirmed it verbally, even said see you shortly.   I showed up and they didn't have me down for the time confirmed.  Tried to stick me in at another time, but I had other plans... oh, well!  Just as well, their prices are to high.

>>Gerry - yes - we can order from Pacific Rim as well as Chartreuse, P7 and Compass Rose.  They like you to order from one dining venue for each meal in order to insure the flow of the food delivery.  It would be extremely difficult, for instance, if you were ordering from CR on deck 4, P7 on deck 10 and Pacific Rim and deck 5.  >>

Thanks for this info Jackie.  It is the same as on Oceania then.  While they will at a push get you a starter from one, main from another they really prefer to have the whole meal ordered from one of the restaurants...and that's what we have always done simply because it makes a lot more sense and is more cohesive.

What exactly are you liking more about Chartreuse?  Food/wine/service or have they (finally) got their act together as it were?

I just ordered a pair of those glasses -- €9.99 on eBay.  Hope they work!

Edited by Hambagahle

Jackie:  concur on you comment regarding visiting the Bacardi House. Recommend you send me a plane ticket and I will fly to San Juan and be your personal tour guide. 

If you want to have lunch in OSJ, try mofongo, which is originally an African dish and consists of mashed plantains and either stuffed or accompanied by shrimp, pork, etc. 

A good place for it is a restaurant a couple of blocks north of the piers and called “Cafe el Puerto Rico.”  They also have great sangria.

Z and TB

66FA38BA-6278-4861-8DDF-A19776B0178E.png.17f96e696643a6133280a41d7b33df24.png

Edited by Zqueeze1

On 11/30/2019 at 10:45 AM, briar14 said:

I agree with you, “Papa”. Regent is about the total experience, and we really like that experience. We are on this cruise also. Our experience has been quite good from efficient boarding to an excellent butler (Prakash) and cabin stewards, to good restaurant service with some familiar faces. I know tours can be hit or miss, but we have had 3 good ones, not crowded and run efficiently. Internet has worked pretty well for our needs, but I agree Regent needs to improve to keep up with the competition. Thank you, Jackie, for all you are posting and for taking the time to download pictures of menus, activities, etc., that takes a lot of patience 😊.

I'm so jealous...not only are you enjoying the Explorer....but Prakash also!!!!  He is amazing.  Please tell him Bonnie and Debbie send hugs!!  Thanks, Briar 14!!

Thanks for the Boarding Ring glasses update, Jackie.  Much appreciated.  

I knew the sea state was pretty rough considering the foul weather.  I was wondering what kind of protocol you are following using the glasses.

Just now, bebop bonnie said:

I'm so jealous...not only are you enjoying the Explorer....but Prakash also!!!!  He is amazing.  Please tell him Bonnie and Debbie send hugs!!  Thanks, Briar 14!!

Will do so this evening. He is very intuitive and thoughtful. He will be leaving Explorer for Splendor in January, quite an honor. 

• Like 1

TCat,

You are too funny!  Looking forward to a picture of you in the theater with your seasick glasses and Bose headphones on in the Pacific Ocean!

Enjoy your cruise and please keep posting!  We missed these kinds of posts from you!

8 hours ago, orvil said:

Thanks for the Boarding Ring glasses update, Jackie.  Much appreciated.  

I knew the sea state was pretty rough considering the foul weather.  I was wondering what kind of protocol you are following using the glasses.

Things have changed regarding the Boarding Ring glasses.  The seas have also changed and the ship today was rocking in a different direction.  I tried the glasses for 20 minutes in the morning and a bit in the afternoon but was still queasy (in the afternoon) so I took one half of a pill.  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure that it works.  The seas will be calm between here and Puerto Rico and will likely be a bit rougher on the way to Miami so I should be able to give you a definitive answer.

10 hours ago, az2sea said:

Laughed when I read this, since the ship is in the Atlantic. Maybe you were hoping we were in the Pacific Ocean, might be calmer and warmer.

Thank you for reminding me where in the world we are🤣.  I've lived by the Pacific Ocean since I was 6 years of age so it tends to be more in my mind.  From reading CC, the Pacific Ocean (particularly between the West Coast of the U.S. to Hawaii) is generally rougher than a transatlantic crossing.

Speaking of sailing the seven seas, we had dinner with the Captain and he discussed how climate change has affected the places that Regent cruises to.  Quite interesting and quite a lot of changes (if you do not believe in climate change, please don't beat me up..... I'm just sharing information).

As mentioned previously, after spending days trying to post photos, I have given up (at least temporarily).  Will try again when we are in Puerto Rico (Wednesday) and if that doesn't work, I'll post photos when I get home.  It is way too frustrating right now.

pdaniel - I wouldn't be caught dead in those glasses outside of our suite (and the Bose headphones are for my DH - not me).  Must admit that it would be quite a "look" to wear the glasses and headphones.  

The brunch was fabulous as usual.  I had to ask how they remove the huge table (think that it seats 12-14 people) that resides under the big blue lights as you enter CR (only on Explorer) for this event.  They have to completely disassemble the table to move it and some of the crew were up until 1:00 a.m. this morning preparing for the amazing brunch.

"Z", I almost posted that I would pay your plane fare to Puerto Rico if you arrived Wednesday morning but thought twice because you might take me up on it.  Actually, it would be so good to have you two and Maria show us around PR.   

Anyway, I did take a few photos of the brunch and will remember to take some photos of the daytime activities.  The rest of the wine list also needs to be posted.  If I can remember, I'd like to take some photos of Pacific Rim since some of you have not seen it yet.  Lovely dining venue!

More tomorrow!

39 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Things have changed regarding the Boarding Ring glasses.  The seas have also changed and the ship today was rocking in a different direction.  I tried the glasses for 20 minutes in the morning and a bit in the afternoon but was still queasy (in the afternoon) so I took one half of a pill.  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure that it works.  The seas will be calm between here and Puerto Rico and will likely be a bit rougher on the way to Miami so I should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Thank you for reminding me where in the world we are🤣.  I've lived by the Pacific Ocean since I was 6 years of age so it tends to be more in my mind.  From reading CC, the Pacific Ocean (particularly between the West Coast of the U.S. to Hawaii) is generally rougher than a transatlantic crossing.

Speaking of sailing the seven seas, we had dinner with the Captain and he discussed how climate change has affected the places that Regent cruises to.  Quite interesting and quite a lot of changes (if you do not believe in climate change, please don't beat me up..... I'm just sharing information).

As mentioned previously, after spending days trying to post photos, I have given up (at least temporarily).  Will try again when we are in Puerto Rico (Wednesday) and if that doesn't work, I'll post photos when I get home.  It is way too frustrating right now.

pdaniel - I wouldn't be caught dead in those glasses outside of our suite (and the Bose headphones are for my DH - not me).  Must admit that it would be quite a "look" to wear the glasses and headphones.  

The brunch was fabulous as usual.  I had to ask how they remove the huge table (think that it seats 12-14 people) that resides under the big blue lights as you enter CR (only on Explorer) for this event.  They have to completely disassemble the table to move it and some of the crew were up until 1:00 a.m. this morning preparing for the amazing brunch.

"Z", I almost posted that I would pay your plane fare to Puerto Rico if you arrived Wednesday morning but thought twice because you might take me up on it.  Actually, it would be so good to have you two and Maria show us around PR.   

Anyway, I did take a few photos of the brunch and will remember to take some photos of the daytime activities.  The rest of the wine list also needs to be posted.  If I can remember, I'd like to take some photos of Pacific Rim since some of you have not seen it yet.  Lovely dining venue!

More tomorrow!

LOL!!! I would have taken you up on it in a heartbeat as well! I'll be there in 10 days, too bad we won't coincide! Wishing you calm seas and that your glasses and any other assistance works. Was Pacific Rim tonight or tomorrow? I had the Sea Bass on Compass Rose but I think the Cod on Pacific Rim is better!

43 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

... I have given up (at least temporarily).  Will try again when we are in Puerto Rico (Wednesday) and if that doesn't work, I'll post photos when I get home.  It is way too frustrating right now.

Remember that you are stateside once in PR. So, you can get off the ship’s WiFi and use your cell phone provider to upload pics  at an incredibly faster rate (seconds not minutes). 

If you change your mind on buying me a ticket, there’s an AA flight departing at 0630 that still has first class seats available. 

Z and TB

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Jackie - you and Dennis have been on Riviera.  Riviera has a wonderful Sunday brunch.  Is the Explorer (or I hope as well the Splendor) one similar?   Of course Mimosas would not flow freely on Riviera unless you pay for them - then they do!!

If there was a Sunday brunch on Riviera, we missed it.  It will be interesting to learn if you find the one on Splendor better or the same as on Oceania.

A couple of corrections:

1.  We did not get charged for the excursion that we booked when it was included.  What I was looking at on our account was the charge for the culinary class (that we about to go to).

2.  The work being done on the internet is not part of the upgrade.  There is a problem that people onboard as well as in Miami are trying to fix.  NOTE:  I learned that there are people "behind the scenes" that work on the internet 24/7.  The Computer Managers in the computer rooms have limited hours but continue to work when they are not in the computer room.

Today is the Country Fair - one of my favorite events.  Unfortunately, we will be in class and will miss it.  It is typically held on the pool deck, however, even though the weather is warm, it is way too windy to be up there.l

The lectures have been interesting and people playing various games seem to be enjoying them.

Dinner in Pacific Rim was wonderful.  The Miso Black Cod melts in your mouth (very similar to the Miso Glazed 
Sea Bass - just a different fish).  We had great conversation and enjoyed it very much.

Quick comment to Maria and "Z".  As corny as this sounds, and considering how much we are out of the country, stepping foot on U.S. soil is such a great feeling.  So, we could not be more pleased about Puerto Rico.  Dennis would like to do a tour (excursions not done figured out yet).  Time will tell if we do an excursion and/or go for a drink and that delicious looking dish that "Z" posted.

More later (will try photos once again this afternoon).

On 11/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Seaknots (sorry - cannot write your “name” without it being capitalized).  Yes we did get charged for this excursion.  It is the website that is wrong.  There is still confusion amongst the 16 or so passengers on this excursion (which is obviously very limited).  When we took it last time, there was no “Culinary Center” so we were not accompanied by chefs (two were with us today as they are on board training others ....... these two men are exceptional - quite sure that most people would enjoy them).  

So, this excursions was free, you got the charge confused with a culinary class charge, yet you reported that "there is confusion amongst the 16 or so other passengers on the excursion?"  Were they really confused?

Marc

• Thanks 1

I think that is not what Jackie is saying MrLevin.

The way I read her comments is thus:-

Apparently the original excursion was listed as free.  (And my reading of it is it is "boiler plate" and applies to all the ships in that port.)  None, aside from Explorer, have the Culinary Arts Centre so having one (or two in this case) of the Chefs to explain things in advance and the accompany the group is not possible on the other ships. 

Clearly if you have a chef accompanying you, lecturing on what you will find ashore etc, there is an additional cost.  Which in this case translated to an additional charge.  Which was confusing to some or all of the participants.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

If there was a Sunday brunch on Riviera, we missed it.  It will be interesting to learn if you find the one on Splendor better or the same as on Oceania.

A couple of corrections:

1.  We did not get charged for the excursion that we booked when it was included.  What I was looking at on our account was the charge for the culinary class (that we about to go to).

2.  The work being done on the internet is not part of the upgrade.  There is a problem that people onboard as well as in Miami are trying to fix.  NOTE:  I learned that there are people "behind the scenes" that work on the internet 24/7.  The Computer Managers in the computer rooms have limited hours but continue to work when they are not in the computer room.

Today is the Country Fair - one of my favorite events.  Unfortunately, we will be in class and will miss it.  It is typically held on the pool deck, however, even though the weather is warm, it is way too windy to be up there.l

The lectures have been interesting and people playing various games seem to be enjoying them.

Dinner in Pacific Rim was wonderful.  The Miso Black Cod melts in your mouth (very similar to the Miso Glazed 
Sea Bass - just a different fish).  We had great conversation and enjoyed it very much.

Quick comment to Maria and "Z".  As corny as this sounds, and considering how much we are out of the country, stepping foot on U.S. soil is such a great feeling.  So, we could not be more pleased about Puerto Rico.  Dennis would like to do a tour (excursions not done figured out yet).  Time will tell if we do an excursion and/or go for a drink and that delicious looking dish that "Z" posted.

More later (will try photos once again this afternoon).

How about an excursion AND a local treat? Maybe these great and wonderful places that Z has recommended aren't far from the ship?  We always enjoy OSJ....a tiny hole in the wall shop has coins (John collects) and great antique jewelry (yea, me!) so we always make a stop. Have fun, no matter what you do!

J&L

59 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I think that is not what Jackie is saying MrLevin.

The way I read her comments is thus:-

Apparently the original excursion was listed as free.  (And my reading of it is it is "boiler plate" and applies to all the ships in that port.)  None, aside from Explorer, have the Culinary Arts Centre so having one (or two in this case) of the Chefs to explain things in advance and the accompany the group is not possible on the other ships. 

Clearly if you have a chef accompanying you, lecturing on what you will find ashore etc, there is an additional cost.  Which in this case translated to an additional charge.  Which was confusing to some or all of the participants.

HUH?  I thought TC said there was no charge after all.  Did some passengers get charged and others didn’t?  It sounded like a great tour whether or not there was a charge. 

18 minutes ago, forgap said:

HUH?  I thought TC said there was no charge after all.  Did some passengers get charged and others didn’t?  It sounded like a great tour whether or not there was a charge. 

I think Jackie said that in the end there was no charge but I am not sure...she will let us know I am sure!

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Today is the Country Fair - one of my favorite events.  Unfortunately, we will be in class and will miss it.  It is typically held on the pool deck, however, even though the weather is warm, it is way too windy to be up there.

Wind conditions were actually only 5 kts or less.  Country Fair was scheduled when wind conditions for today were uncertain.  Would have been a great event on the pool deck

• Thanks 1

Regarding the excursion that was included when we booked and had a charge if you booked it later(?) - yes, there was confusion amongst everyone that I spoke with.  Some people did pay $69/person.  This was a limited excursion (approximately 16 passengers limit).  While several of us discussed it, I am not aware of the “how’s” and “why’s” of the situation.   In any case, it really is a great excursion and worth the cost.

Maria - we dined in Pacific Rim last night and it was over the top wonderful.  Agree that the Black Cod was tastier than the Sea Bass.  We will definitely be dining in Pacific Rim again before we disembark on Saturday.

Enjoyed our “Pasta Pasta Pasta” class in the Culinary Center.  Great group of passengers and the two Chefs are wonderful (note:  there are to Chefs as they are training their assistant’s in the Culinary Center.  Afterwards we went to lunch with a friend in Chartreuse.  We didn’t eat much of what we cooked as the sauces that we prepared were not what we prefer (but they were good).

Just for the heck to it, I’m going to see if I can post any photos:

BE8E68D3-5098-4C12-AB83-AC2A37FCE30A.jpeg

E2146C0E-5F30-4C0B-AA5E-9FEF1860DABA.jpeg

97C892B9-E308-4BD2-A54C-8C7484E59CB1.jpeg