21 November 2019 Weigh-In With an Attitude of Gratitude

pacruise804

Happy Thursday All!

In the States we will celebrate Thanksgiving next week, so I wanted to take a moment to say how thankful I am for this group 🙂 

No gain this week 😄 but no loss either🙄I trust others fared better.

I won't be on much next week.  Enjoy family, food, and thankfulness wherever you are 😎

• Like 1

Hi Ladies! I'm sorry for being so late, I literally just realized it was Thursday! I didn't even weigh myself this morning but I'll wager that I am have not lost anything. I have been back to walking, treadmilling and even my Jillian DVD's but I've had a few "fat" days... eating all the things, including Rice Krispie Treats and a Little Debbie Christmas Tree cake. 😔

PACruiser, staying the same is better than a gain!

Congrats JennyB on your loss!

Wishing all the US members a happy Thanksgiving next week! 

• Like 2

Hi all!

pacruise804 ~ thanks for starting the thread. Happy Thanksgiving on Thursday! We sure do have a LOT to be thankful for here in North America.

I've been bad so am up 0.6 lbs. I did have a turkey dinner (pre Christmas with more coming) but didn't eat the dessert.

Still finishing up the Hallowe'en treats so that doesn't help.

Have a nice weekend & see you next week. Hope all the cruisers are having a fab time.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 2

Jo - minimal gain, but good job resisting dessert.

Robin - I saw some spice flavored Little Debbie cakes and was tempted, but resisted since they only came in a full box 😉 

Jenny - nice start 🙂 

@JennyB1977I have a question for you from your training days: do you find diet or exercise to be a bigger factor in success?  (warning: longwinded, but trying to give context) We recently switched to higher weight lower reps for the winter months (5 sets per body group of 12-15 reps vs. 20reps per set) and I really like it.  Our trainer also works with a lot of high school and some college athletes and he was impressed with the with the weight I was using compared to some of his female students.  In our discussion I suggested that some of them might fear getting too big, which we know is unlikely due to low testosterone levels but kids don't always get that.  We discussed that even professionals generally aren't that bulky, just well defined and I mentioned they probably eat a lot better than the kids too (which he agreed).  It got me to wondering how much diet affects strength as well as weight loss.  I know for me dietary calorie control is a bigger factor than exercise - I can't out exercise poor food choices 😉 

Thanks for the input.

@pacruise804 I love to see people putting all of those pieces together. I have found that nutrition is somewhere close to 75% of the weight loss equation. Muscle on our bodies burns more calories than fat. Therefore, strength training (building muscle) can help burn more calories plus makes us look (tighter). However, getting our heart rate into our fat burning zone for at least 20 minutes three - four times a week is also important. I super dislike cardio. That's why CrossFit/Orange Theory type workouts in addition to strength training are more my thing. When I am focusing more on hypertrophy style training I use interval training on the treadmill to get my HR up and escape my dislike of cardio.

At the end of the day, to lose weight we must be in a calorie deficit. The commonly accepted number is a deficit of 500 calories per day - yields a loss of 1-2lbs per week. Therefore, knowing your BMR and keeping track of calories burned during training (MyZone or FitBit) is important. 

Edited by JennyB1977

Oddly enough I actually like cardio (or think I do), but find it hard to make it a priority.  I do enjoy the strength training, and especially with the new routine do get a good sweat going - but I also recognize I'm not in sustained fat burning zone.  I enjoy my walking group and usually get 3.5-4 miles each morning, but again that's a brisk walk and not fat burning.  I need to get a new band for my FitBit 😮 

It looks like my BMR is 1631, so I've got to get back to tracking since I know 1600 is very doable and have likely been creeping in more since I'm so plateaued. 

ETA: Wow! I really need to start tracking again.  It looks like I can have close to 1800 calories per day and still lose 1 lb per week. I know it will get harder as the weight drops (gotta love math🙄), but this really shows that I haven't been paying attention.

Edited by pacruise804
  • Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I am just finishing up my first 30 days of speed keto, last day on Wednesday. I did not lose any this week but I am down 14lbs in the last 28 days. 15 more to lose.

• Like 2