Opening balcony dividers

Cozzette3

Things to ponder about those balcony dividers:

Some are made of heavy metal and are threat to limbs and fingers if not secured correctly -

Newer ships perhaps have fiber glass or composite faux wood materials - still yet no slap on the wrist -

Not all ships - but - open divider panels blocks access to entry back into cabin or

hinders free space of lounge and deck chairs -

Safety fire containment issues -

Security issue if any one cabin is left open unsecured - access to others easy ***

use locking latches on sliding balcony doors -

During bad weather you may wish that you had left well enough alone -

Wild winds rouge waves -

If your Cabin Attendant does aid your opening of the dividers don't get him into trouble and tip well !

You didn't hear this from me - but the tool you need to open the dividers is a left-handed Macgyver

adjustable speed wrench if the keystone security cops will let you take in on board !   LOL !

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I find it strange that Princess, a cruise line which has experienced a fire spread through balconies, would allow balcony dividers to be opened.  But hey, to each his own. 

Different materials, different suppression systems, etc. Even after that fire and the SOLAS requirements, NCL used to allow a certain number of dividers to be left open (at the captain's discretion). Some would be allowed and others denied which caused people to complain. Corporate decided to have the "no open" policy across the fleet.

My sister just came back from a European cruise with some friends on MSC and the steward opened the balcony divider for them.  I seriously doubt those balcony dividers would provide much fire suppression since most are open at the top and bottom.

• Like 1

We were able to have ours opened two years ago on the Escape.

The side connecting to unknown guests had been opened from the previous cruise so when the steward came to our cabin to close that one perhaps he felt he couldn’t say no to opening the other side.  

6 minutes ago, SSMcruises said:

We were able to have ours opened two years ago on the Escape.

The side connecting to unknown guests had been opened from the previous cruise so when the steward came to our cabin to close that one perhaps he felt he couldn’t say no to opening the other side.  

We have booked a cruise to Alaska on the Jewell, we were told that the arrows on the deck plan show balconies that can connect.  We booked one of those with another couple next to us.  Now whether or not we can actually have the balconies opened remains to be seen but we have been told that we would be able to open them.  

We've had ours opened on Carnival numerous times, but it is dependent on whether the divider would block a door when it swings back.  Royal & Princess opened it for us as well.  In all cases, someone from both cabins had to be there to say it was okay with them to have it open.  They have a latch to keep them from swinging, but in rough water, it will rattle a bit.

12 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You didn't hear this from me - but the tool you need to open the dividers is a left-handed Macgyver

adjustable speed wrench if the keystone security cops will let you take in on board !   LOL !

I'm not sure I know what that is.  Is it one of those with the thingie that you turn to adjust to match the size of nut you are adjusting?

26 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

We have booked a cruise to Alaska on the Jewell, we were told that the arrows on the deck plan show balconies that can connect.  We booked one of those with another couple next to us.  Now whether or not we can actually have the balconies opened remains to be seen but we have been told that we would be able to open them.  

The connection is in the cabins, not on the balconies.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

That isn't what we were told when we booked.  So we will see. 

We always book connecting cabins, the symbols indicate there is a door (2 actually) that can be opened. Back in the day, they would open the balcony cabins (we had 3 cabins in a row on the jewel and they opened them for us). On our next cruises (Breakaway an$ Gem) they said it wasn’t allowed.

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Interesting, I thought the arrow means connecting cabins.  I will see when we cruise.  I booked connecting cabins ( connecting arrows on deck plans)

Edited by disneylover89

2 hours ago, dmdiver said:

We've had ours opened on Carnival numerous times, but it is dependent on whether the divider would block a door when it swings back.  Royal & Princess opened it for us as well.  In all cases, someone from both cabins had to be there to say it was okay with them to have it open.  They have a latch to keep them from swinging, but in rough water, it will rattle a bit.

We always sail in cabins that the  balcony dividers are allowed to be open on Carnival.  The PPC is able to tell you which cabins next to each other are able to do this.  Like you said,, some dividers will block the balcony door when open and they will not open those.

6 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

We always sail in cabins that the  balcony dividers are allowed to be open on Carnival.  The PPC is able to tell you which cabins next to each other are able to do this.  Like you said,, some dividers will block the balcony door when open and they will not open those.

Your experience was on Carnival.  

This is the NCL board.

Different corporate entity, different rules.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

Interesting, I thought the arrow means connecting cabins.  I will see when we cruise.  I booked connecting cabins ( connecting arrows on deck plans)

They are connecting, I was told by the PCC that the balconies should also be able to be opened, which to me would make sense.  I know there are going to be responses from the experts here that won't be the case.  When we sail I will ask, if it happens it happens :)

20 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

They are connecting, I was told by the PCC that the balconies should also be able to be opened, which to me would make sense.  I know there are going to be responses from the experts here that won't be the case.  When we sail I will ask, if it happens it happens 🙂

Report back.  I will too.  We sail on the Joy in July