Specialty Foods in NZ and Australia

Beanb41

Often on this forum we see questions asked about specialty foods availability in NZ and Australia. Many visitors down under don't appreciate that both countries are first world and rank as high as any other country in health care, political stability and the like. We are also up to date with latest medical fads and requirements regarding gluten free, low sodium and the like. In order to allay fears that people may have I have attached some photos taken at a typical mid range supermarket in a large city of the specialty foods on offer. This supermarket could be in any city in NZ or Australia. Whilst we may not have your particular brand you will know don't find a suitable equivalent

20191121_140638.jpg

20191121_140646.jpg

20191121_140655.jpg

20191121_140703.jpg

20191121_140710.jpg

20191121_140717.jpg

20191121_140724.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting, a good range of GF Breakfast cereals there for Coeliacs like me.  A better range than Woolworths/Coles/Aldi here.  Your post will benefit the overseas visitors.

Most of those products available here, but not seen the 'Thank Goodness range, must be a Kiwi brand.

Edited by NSWP

It's not only food info that is needed. I noticed a post the other day about over the counter meds and supplements. This is the website of one of the most common big chemists (pharmacies / drug stores) in Australia, prices are good and they have a wide range of products - too many to take photos of. https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/ 

When we did a trip to the US last year I looked up Walgreens to see what things I could buy there rather than bringing them from Australia.

3 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

Often on this forum we see questions asked about specialty foods availability in NZ and Australia. Many visitors down under don't appreciate that both countries are first world and rank as high as any other country in health care, political stability and the like. We are also up to date with latest medical fads and requirements regarding gluten free, low sodium and the like. In order to allay fears that people may have I have attached some photos taken at a typical mid range supermarket in a large city of the specialty foods on offer. This supermarket could be in any city in NZ or Australia. Whilst we may not have your particular brand you will know don't find a suitable equivalent

20191121_140638.jpg

20191121_140646.jpg

20191121_140655.jpg

20191121_140703.jpg

20191121_140710.jpg

20191121_140717.jpg

20191121_140724.jpg

Thanks for the great photos and info!  I love to try new foods and products when I’m traveling.  A couple of years ago in France I bought what I thought was laundry detergent only to find out when I googled it (days later) thatI’d been washing my underwear in fabric softner!  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's not only food info that is needed. I noticed a post the other day about over the counter meds and supplements. This is the website of one of the most common big chemists (pharmacies / drug stores) in Australia, prices are good and they have a wide range of products - too many to take photos of. https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/ 

When we did a trip to the US last year I looked up Walgreens to see what things I could buy there rather than bringing them from Australia.

I dont want to sound condescending but when we antipodeans travel north we have a greater appreciation of what we can get that is comparable to back home as opposed to those travelling south, many of whom think we are living in a primitive existence. 

• Like 1

If looking for local treats , a wide choice of Ice Cream is avaiable i

Here are the results of the 2019 awards...

2019 NZ ICE CREAM AWARDS

Proving that sometimes you just can’t beat the classics, Tip Top once again won the ‘Standard Ice Cream’ category with its Boysenberry Ripple Ice Cream and the 2019 Supreme Award for large manufacturers – the fifth time this flavour has taken this top spot.

2019 NZ Ice Cream Award winners:

Supreme Award winners

Boutique Manufacturer: Zany Zeus Limited, Ghana Chocolate
Large Manufacturer: Tip Top Ice Cream, Tip Top Boysenberry Ripple

Category winners

Standard Vanilla Ice Cream: Talley’s Group, Oravida Vanilla
Standard Ice Cream: Tip Top Boysenberry Ripple
Best of Nuts: Little ‘Lato, Hazelnut Chocolate
Premium Vanilla Ice Cream: Talley’s Group, Motueka Creamery Mt. Arthur Snowfall
Vanilla
Premium Ice Cream: Kapiti Ice Cream, Kapiti Fig & Manuka Honey (joint winner)
Premium Ice Cream: Zany Zeus, Ghana Chocolate (joint winner)
Open Creative: Little ‘Lato, Massaman Curry
Kids Choice: Puhoi Valley Café, Puhoi Choc Bomb
Gelato: Gelato Roma, Salted Caramel
Sorbet: Gellicious Gelato, Blackcurrant Sorbet
Low Fat: Zany Zeus, Feijoa
Non-Dairy: Little Liberty Creamery, Little Liberty - Double Espresso
New to Market: Gelissimo Gelato, Pistachio Premo

https://www.nzicecream.org.nz/awards19.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Thanks for the great photos and info!  I love to try new foods and products when I’m traveling.  A couple of years ago in France I bought what I thought was laundry detergent only to find out when I googled it (days later) thatI’d been washing my underwear in fabric softner!  

ha ha  Once I bought hand washing liquid in Germany (photo of hand washing in a basin on bottle), only to discover it was starch!

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

2019 NZ ICE CREAM AWARDS

Proving that sometimes you just can’t beat the classics, Tip Top once again won the ‘Standard Ice Cream’ category with its Boysenberry Ripple Ice Cream and the 2019 Supreme Award for large manufacturers – the fifth time this flavour has taken this top spot.

Supreme Award winners

Category winners

Vanilla

What a fabulous selection.  I like NZ ice creams which taste more creamy than Australian ice creams.  

2 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

I dont want to sound condescending but when we antipodeans travel north we have a greater appreciation of what we can get that is comparable to back home as opposed to those travelling south, many of whom think we are living in a primitive existence. 

I think that's partly because we are more experienced travellers. We have more annual leave than some countries, plus long service leave, so people are able to travel more while they are still working.

3 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Soft undies can't be a bad thing, it would have been rough if it was just starch.

20 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

That is my experience also and I too would hate to sound condescending but seriously, why on earth would you not spend a moment to research your destination?  I've been gobsmacked by some of the questions posed on this forum eg, do we know what ATMs are and are these available in Sydney.  Get a grip people!  We're a first world, hygienic, educated country which engenders great respect within its own region and, to a lesser extent, globally.  Travelling to Alaska a couple of years ago, I was amazed by how many people didn't know the difference between Austria and Australia.   Funny at first, incredulous thereafter.

BTW, I'm still trying to get my head around gluten free Weet Bix.  🤩

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

A couple of years ago in France I bought what I thought was laundry detergent only to find out when I googled it (days later) thatI’d been washing my underwear in fabric softner!  

I spent a week moisturising my legs with conditioner in Italy.  🤣

20 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

2019 NZ ICE CREAM AWARDS

Supreme Award winners

Category winners

Vanilla

The Kapiti White chocolate and raspberry is great, I buy tubs of it in Aldi.  Is Aldi in NZ ?

Yes I am an icecreamaholic.

Edited by NSWP

24 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

That is my experience also and I too would hate to sound condescending but seriously, why on earth would you not spend a moment to research your destination?  I've been gobsmacked by some of the questions posed on this forum eg, do we know what ATMs are and are these available in Sydney.  Get a grip people!  We're a first world, hygienic, educated country which engenders great respect within its own region and, to a lesser extent, globally.  Travelling to Alaska a couple of years ago, I was amazed by how many people didn't know the difference between Austria and Australia.   Funny at first, incredulous thereafter.

BTW, I'm still trying to get my head around gluten free Weet Bix.  🤩

Quite nice, I buy the cinnamon flavour one, trouble is you need a litre of milk on three of them, soaks it up big time.

45 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

They are the only sort to eat and you should also look for a cholesterol free potato.

Thanks for the tip.  Next time I'm getting fish and chips, I'll be sure to ask for cholesterol free spuds deep fried in fat free oil with sugar free beer battered snapper.  It'll make a nice change from my usual, grilled fish with salad no dressing.