Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BoundForSea

Seaside YC Deluxe Suites Pullout Couch for 2 Teens?

Recommended Posts

Question for you guys,

 

We are considering bringing two teenagers, DW and I, and My mom in the YC on Seaside. 

 

My my plan is to BOOK three of us in a Deluxe and other two in an interior. In reality, I’d like mom to have the interior to herself and put the four of us in a Deluxe which is only sellable as three as the couch pulls out and no Pullman. MSC only sells cabins accommodating four to reservations with four. So my question is can our two teenage children, one 5 feet tall average build and one 5’8 and average build fit on the pullout? If it’s the size of a full or even a generous double they will be fine. We’ve done it on NCL suites before. 

 

Anyone who has a photo of the couch in the 2-3 person Deluxe pulled out and made up would be appreciated. I can’t find a single photo online. 

 

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the sofa bed is ok for 1 teen or 2 small children. Best plan is put your wife and mother in YIN for booking and watch to see if you can switch the other YC deluxe later on to one that has a pullman bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One idea would be to book one of the deluxe suites that sleeps 5 (make up a name for guest #5) and cancel that fake guest before final payment date. I doubt that they will move you at that point but with MSC, anything is possible....

Your stateroom will have the sofa-bed and a pullman.....

 

DSC00731.jpg

 

3 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

If it’s the size of a full or even a generous double they will be fine.

 

I believe that the sofa-bed is the same size in all of the deluxe suites so the picture above should give you an idea as to if it will be ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

One idea would be to book one of the deluxe suites that sleeps 5 (make up a name for guest #5) and cancel that fake guest before final payment date. I doubt that they will move you at that point but with MSC, anything is possible....

Your stateroom will have the sofa-bed and a pullman.....

 

DSC00731.jpg

 

 

I believe that the sofa-bed is the same size in all of the deluxe suites so the picture above should give you an idea as to if it will be ok. 

Thanks For that photo!!! Perfect. 

 

Thats a brilliant idea. If they do switch my room then I can then wait and do what bluefish said to do and get a room swap last minute. Worst case kids will have to make that couch work or one of them go hang with my mom. 

 

Thanks folks great advice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sofa bed is small.  The kids will fit, but will they be comfortable?  NCL has a variety of sofa beds with sizes ranging from about as small as the one above to some that are as large as a king.  The MSC thing restricting booking a 5 person room for 4 is silly.  Seems they keep those to the end and then they get filled with just parties of two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW - which YIN do you have?  Our kids had one on 18 that smelled like sewage 6 of 7 days.  Think it was 18031.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dexddd said:

BTW - which YIN do you have?  Our kids had one on 18 that smelled like sewage 6 of 7 days.  Think it was 18031.

Were booked in 18031 in two weeks!!!! Please tell me youre kidding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Were booked in 18031 in two weeks!!!! Please tell me youre kidding!

We sailed in March and June of this year.  We were in same predicament but our kids are older so we booked a Deluxe plus YIN.  Booked DW and DD in YIN and DS and me in Deluxe.  June we had a RS plus DM came with and we had two booked in a Deluxe for 5.

 

No, not kidding, it smelled in and around that room.  Wasn't coming from bathroom either.

 

I just checked and not seeing any YINs available for 12/7 if that is the date (ETA - looks like you are already booked).

Edited by dexddd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dexddd said:

We sailed in March and June of this year.  We were in same predicament but our kids are older so we booked a Deluxe plus YIN.  Booked DW and DD in YIN and DS and me in Deluxe.  June we had a RS plus DM came with and we had two booked in a Deluxe for 5.

 

No, not kidding, it smelled in and around that room.  Wasn't coming from bathroom either.

 

I just checked and not seeing any YINs available for 12/7 if that is the date (ETA - looks like you are already booked).

So frustrating. I was just telling a fellow colleague about MSC and recommending the product (YC only). They just cant get out of their own way. Every time they take a step forward in something they take two steps back somewhere else. 
 

Thanks for that heads up. At time of booking a few months back it was either that or an ADA room and I never book those so they can be used by eligible passengers. We shall see. Its our first go at interior, moreso for the DW as I can live without the balcony just fine she is on the fence. Thanks again for the heads up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Above are a few pics of 18031.  It is one of the few shaped that way and we picked it.  It was a nice room except the shower is tiny.  Beds are super comfy.

 

Who knows, maybe it was just for a period of time and will be fine.  We were exactly below that area on 16 in June and never smelled anything there.  I think I did go by 18031 in June and didn't really seem to notice anything then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. One more bed config question..

 

There are diamond legend rooms for 4 that show “double bed sofa” whereas the triangle rooms for three show sofa bed. The pic above with the pullman over it, is that a “double sofa bed” room or a regular “sofa bed”? The double is supposed to be wider I would guess right to accomodate 4?

 

There are also rooms with double dots that show as “bunk beds”, are these the couches that the top lifts up to form an over and under bunk bed configuration?

 

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The picture above with the pullman is a room for five in YC on Seaside so it would be a diamond and square.  None of the Seaside YC have just the pullman.  From all that I've ever seen in person or with photos, that is the standard sofa for guests 3 and 4 in a 4 or 5 person YC deluxe.  The one exception I can say is the sofa bed in the RS is wider.

 

Best way to explain it - if two normal sized adults were sitting on the couch, it would be cozy, it is not very wide.  Looking at pictures and videos (YT of room 18003), those brown couches all look the same size so I'm guessing they just capacity control the YC by making those room only for 3 that have just the triangle.

 

In June we also had 18009 which is a 5 person room.  DS took one for the team and stayed in it with my DM.  He initially tried the pullman but then switched to the sofa bed which he found more comfortable and it looks to be the size posted by TWO above.

 

We too sailed on NCL with our kids and have run into a variety of sofa beds and these on MSC are some of the smallest we've seen.  When we were on Divinia I saw how small they were so for future bookings we just booked two rooms for the kids as they would never be comfortable on that sofa bed since they are older.  It probably would be ok for two kids up to about 10 years old.

 

Have a great trip and let us know about OC - some pictures would be great and any details on when the YC area there will open would be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to answer other question - I don't think there are any double dot sofa beds in the YC.  The ones I've seen people post here or at other places are like transformers, so yes, like you describe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dexddd said:

The picture above with the pullman is a room for five in YC on Seaside so it would be a diamond and square.  None of the Seaside YC have just the pullman.  From all that I've ever seen in person or with photos, that is the standard sofa for guests 3 and 4 in a 4 or 5 person YC deluxe.  The one exception I can say is the sofa bed in the RS is wider.

 

Best way to explain it - if two normal sized adults were sitting on the couch, it would be cozy, it is not very wide.  Looking at pictures and videos (YT of room 18003), those brown couches all look the same size so I'm guessing they just capacity control the YC by making those room only for 3 that have just the triangle.

 

Have a great trip and let us know about OC - some pictures would be great and any details on when the YC area there will open would be helpful.

Will do! I have a running list of things to check out since our last time in June in the YC. Rumor control etc. And yes, Ive got the 4K GoPro ready to go for a full tour that Ill try and get uploaded when we hit Miami next day. 

 

If anyone has anything they want me to check out let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You were on Seaside in June?  What week?

 

I checked the plans again and only speculating, but they seem to have an equal number of three person rooms to offset five person rooms so maybe the plan was to have how many rooms times four as max capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 12:38 PM, dexddd said:

You were on Seaside in June?  What week?

 

I checked the plans again and only speculating, but they seem to have an equal number of three person rooms to offset five person rooms so maybe the plan was to have how many rooms times four as max capacity.

 

June 1st

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In reading all the above I'm wondering about seating area in the YC inside suites.  Is there a couch for sitting or just couple chairs?   We are considering the inside suites, but not if there is no couch for sitting.  Thanks for any info about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the answer about inside YC suites and the one chair and no sofa.  If we decide to go with MSC I believe we'll have to go with the balcony suites.  I appreciate your help.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have sailed the Seaside in a YC cabin with both 5 people and 4 people and found the pullout couch very workable.  On our first sailing, my 13 yr  old daughter and I crashed on the couch with 19 yr old son on pullman from the ceiling.  DW and DSIL shared the bed when they would come in from shutting down the casino!

 

Last year's cruise DW and now 14 yr old DD shared the pullout couch with no problems on the size, just the fact you could feel the cross bar in your back.  When we asked for an egg crate mattress topper (like we've done on NCL), they said they didn't have those.  For April's cruise, I'm bringing a memory foam mattress topper...we're driving down, so no need to worry about airline luggage allowances for the topper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off Seaside today... We were in cabin 18012 in YC ...which had a full sized (DOUBLE) couch.... My daughter 5'2 and 5' grandchild slept comfortably on the pullout. Look at couch size designator... There are 2 different size couches 

Edited by lcpagejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Just off Seaside today... We were in cabin 18012 in YC ...which had a full sized (DOUBLE) couch.... My daughter 5'2 and 5' grandchild slept comfortably on the pullout. Look at couch size designator... There are 2 different size couches 

I'm not sure the sofa bed VS double sofa bed is any different.  I'll have to look some more.

Edited by dexddd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I'm not sure the sofa bed VS double sofa bed is any different.  I'll have to look some more.

Let's put it this way.... My wife and I sat comfortably on couch together with space between us.... Just translate that to sleeping on a bed. Additionally my wife slept on pullout with my daughter one night when my grandson hijacked the bed.... 😂  Also... Look at room designator... Some YC cabins show a Pullman and couch for sleeping four... I believe our cabin (18012) shows a triangle designate which is a double sleeping couch 

Edited by lcpagejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...