Cancelled Voyage so potential Solo Cruiser

stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

I was booked with a group of friends on the maiden voyage of Jacques Cartier.  Four nights Alesund to Stockholm. Ponant have cancelled the cruise. They have offered us a later cruise of four nights from Copenhagen to Reykjavík. We do not really like the new itinerary and are planing to cancel and get a refund of the money paid. 

The new Jacques Cartier maiden voyage is twelve night from London to Copenhagen via France. I quite like the sound of the itinerary. I would be by myself and I am not a French speaker. I am from the United Kingdom. My question is how international are Ponant.  Are daily programmes, menus and announcements made in English? 

I have travelled with non English cruise lines before. For example Croisiere De France, Pullmantur, MSC and Star Clippers.  Most of those accommodated English speaking guests to varying degrees. Crosiere De France was a bit difficult. I just wonder how I would get on as I am alone on Ponant as an English only speaker. 

Thank you, Stephen. 

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

8 hours ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

I was booked with a group of friends on the maiden voyage of Jacques Cartier.  Four nights Alesund to Stockholm. Ponant have cancelled the cruise. They have offered us a later cruise of four nights from Copenhagen to Reykjavík. We do not really like the new itinerary and are planing to cancel and get a refund of the money paid. 

The new Jacques Cartier maiden voyage is twelve night from London to Copenhagen via France. I quite like the sound of the itinerary. I would be by myself and I am not a French speaker. I am from the United Kingdom. My question is how international are Ponant.  Are daily programmes, menus and announcements made in English? 

I have travelled with non English cruise lines before. For example Croisiere De France, Pullmantur, MSC and Star Clippers.  Most of those accommodated English speaking guests to varying degrees. Crosiere De France was a bit difficult. I just wonder how I would get on as I am alone on Ponant as an English only speaker. 

Thank you, Stephen. 

Hi Stephen,

Ponant is indeed bilingual (FR/EN)  and everything is anounced in both languages. Actually in the dining room, most waiters are from Asia so actually it will be easier in EN than in FR ;-), and when it comes to food then of course it is essential that it is, remains French :-))

I am also one of the "victims" of this cancelled cruise and as I did already this year that trip to Iceland on Le Champlain, I am not going to re-book that one.  I love the new itinerary with Brittany but the date doesn't suit me, so I will look now to book next month while I am on the Dumont d'Urville with the extra discount they provided.

Thank you for that information. I did not know Ponant was bilingual. I had assumed it was just the occasional cruise. It means I have nothing to worry about. I know what you mean about keeping Ponant a French cruise experience. I was disappointed how un Italian I found MSC particularly the food. 

It seems odd to cancel our cruise rather than just put another cruise in before ours but it is their ship. Ponant have not come back with a price on the London to Copenhagen trip So who knows. I think we were a party of twelve mainly single occupancy on the original cruise. 

I hope you are sorted out with a new cruise. 

Thank you, Stephen. 

Hello Adrien,

With your reassurance I have rebooked Ponant. I could not do the replacement cruise to Iceland.  In the end the dates did not work for me. I looked at the French cruise and a Venice based cruise (perfect itinerary but July will be do hot for me).  In the end I went for Oslo to Lisbon On Le Dumont-D’Urville in September 2021. 

It is six days at sea and I love sea days. I will spend some time in Lisbon before catching a train back to the UK. It is also an affordable way to sample Ponant before I commit to a longer cruise. 

Thank you. I would not have done it without your advice. 

Best wishes, Stephen.