Majorca hotels

I remember reading on here recommendations from fellow cruisers on hotels in Majorca - often booked as part of a cruise and stay.  I've tried a search on here for old posts but as they aren't using Palma as a home port, there's nothing current and I can't pull up any historical posts.  Perhaps I'm failing to find the right key words.  Forgive me for this non-cruise question, but I know many of you have done cruise and stay in Majorca with Thomson in the past - I'm looking at their holidays there as we can get local flights, so presumably many of the hotels will be those they used for cruise and stay.  I'd be really grateful if anyone can recommend any hotels in Majorca - preferably one where access to buses to Palma/other parts of the island are available.  

26 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I remember reading on here recommendations from fellow cruisers on hotels in Majorca - often booked as part of a cruise and stay.  I've tried a search on here for old posts but as they aren't using Palma as a home port, there's nothing current and I can't pull up any historical posts.  Perhaps I'm failing to find the right key words.  Forgive me for this non-cruise question, but I know many of you have done cruise and stay in Majorca with Thomson in the past - I'm looking at their holidays there as we can get local flights, so presumably many of the hotels will be those they used for cruise and stay.  I'd be really grateful if anyone can recommend any hotels in Majorca - preferably one where access to buses to Palma/other parts of the island are available.  

Hi Kruzseeka

we had a land based holiday last year, flying from So,ton with TUI using Spanish airline  (VOLOTEA) A B717

the hotel was the Alua palmanova, so easy to get to palma either by water taxi or bus and a lovely hotel by the beautiful  beach would highly recommend.

12 minutes ago, so,ton saint said:

Hi Kruzseeka

we had a land based holiday last year, flying from So,ton with TUI using Spanish airline  (VOLOTEA) A B717

the hotel was the Alua palmanova, so easy to get to palma either by water taxi or bus and a lovely hotel by the beautiful  beach would highly recommend.

Cheers for that so,ton saint. 😉 Good to know the location is good and you can recommend.  Such a bonus to be able to fly from your local airport.  Getting to Gatwick - either by National Express' convoluted route (used to be 2.5 hours - now anythng upto 5hours!) or Train - strikes!!!!!!! - really concentrates the mind!  

22 minutes ago, Miller Cruiser said:

Son Matthias Beach is a good choice, and very popular with cruise goers. We stayed there a few years ago. Very nice, and right on the beach. Busses to Palma right outside the front door.

Thanks - that's a name I thought I recognised as being mentioned in the past and is being offered as one possibility we've looked at.  From so,ton saint's reply, Palma Nova is sounding like a good location too.

If you would consider a different area of Majorca, I can recommend the Protur group of hotels in Sa Coma/Calla Millor/Cala Bona. Some are adult only, some are family hotels, but the staff and food are excellent - see Tripadvisor reviews

26 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

If you would consider a different area of Majorca, I can recommend the Protur group of hotels in Sa Coma/Calla Millor/Cala Bona. Some are adult only, some are family hotels, but the staff and food are excellent - see Tripadvisor reviews

I can second that. We stayed in Cala Bona this year, which we loved, and our son has stayed in a Protur Hotel in Calla Millor which they recommend. I think I'm the only person on here and on fb who wasn't keen on the Son Matias. I think the chef must have been off sick when we were there.

19 hours ago, howmuch! said:

19 hours ago, Sheila49 said:

I can second that. We stayed in Cala Bona this year, which we loved, and our son has stayed in a Protur Hotel in Calla Millor which they recommend. I think I'm the only person on here and on fb who wasn't keen on the Son Matias. I think the chef must have been off sick when we were there.

Thanks both for that recommendation on location and hotels.   We've only ever been to Majorca on cruises and have used local buses to get back to Palma from Port de Soller (after taking the old train to get there) and also to go to Valldemosa.  Apart from that we dont know the island and are keen to explore a bit.  Are the bus services good from Cala Bona/Cala Millor?  Seems like another area to consider.

Sheila49, I did read a very poor review of Son Matiaswith particular reference to the food - perhaps they visited the same time as you.  

But thanks for the feedback - I'll do a bit more research.

Hi kruzseeka

My tuppence worth

Love Palma Nova and having stayed at the Santa Lucia Hotel  a number of times pre cruising The Son Matias(adults only)has always been our hotel of choice on our 6/7/8/lost count med cruise and stays and enjoyed every one.Lovely,spotlessly clean hotel which went through what we thought was an unneeded  refurb a few years ago.

Location....Hard to beat with every room/balcony overlooking the bay/beach which is a matter of yards away.Great to sit out on the balcony with a beer or glass of wine or whatever and enjoy the views.

Food which is pretty subjective we always found to be good to very good, there are also numerous excellent eating places in the resort if you fancied eating out one night which we did a few times

The resort itself is great,quietish and laid back but with plenty of lively bars with varying entertainment although the entertainment in the hotel is very good with mainly british acts..Of course if your looking for more than that your just a short 5/10 min walk to Magaluf 😉We did this twice,once during the day,once at night just to see what the hype was,interesting but wouldnt go back 😂.

Theres a bus stop right outside the hotel where you can catch buses to Palma and other various resorts.Alternatively a short walk to the centre you,ll get buses to probably anywhere on the island.We took the bus to Paguera where we hadn,t been to since we honeymooned their many moons ago and also took the bus to Santa Ponsa another resort we hadnt been to in a long time,in fact since we first started cruising with OV

We took water taxi/ glass bottomed boat which you can watch going back and forth from your balcony to Palma which was great.Skirts around the coast and you,ll see how the other half live

Ps

Any criticism I have read about the hotel is about the clientele which tends to be in the main the more mature but I think that depends on what time of year you go.Personally although we,re no spring chickens this didnt bother us.We have been at varying times of the year and found it a fair mix

If you have any questions feel free to ask and i,ll do my best to answer

Thanks Jim the Scot for that very comprehensive and interesting review of Son Matias and Cala Bona.  👍  Sounds much like what we'd be looking for - and as for the clientele demographic, I think we'd  fit in very well.........😁  

Can't think of anything else at the moment - you've covered my questions very well.  Thanks again, much appreciated.  🤗

The choice of hotels for cruise and stay are limited if you book it all through Marella.  We picked the Delfin Azul in Alcudia for a week after our Cosmopolitan Classics cruise in May.  At an extra £400 for the 7 days it was a no brainer.  Of course if you book it all separate your choice will be more or less unlimited. 

Edited by rkingphoto

2 hours ago, rkingphoto said:

The choice of hotels for cruise and stay are limited if you book it all through Marella.  We picked the Delfin Azul in Alcudia for a week after our Cosmopolitan Classics cruise in May.  At an extra £400 for the 7 days it was a no brainer.  Of course if you book it all separate your choice will be more or less unlimited. 

Thank you - we are looking at a land based TUI holiday so do, in fact, have a wider selection of hotels and locations to consider.  

Cala Bona, Sa Coma or Calla Millor are all walkable if you are fit enough, but are an hour or so by bus  from Palma.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get to other resorts or Palma, from that area as we didn't venture further than going to the Caves of Drach a few miles away.

42 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

Cala Bona, Sa Coma or Calla Millor are all walkable if you are fit enough, but are an hour or so by bus  from Palma.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get to other resorts or Palma, from that area as we didn't venture further than going to the Caves of Drach a few miles away.

Thanks for the suggestions.  It would all be new to us so we'd enjoy any location as long as you can get around a bit.  Been very helpful getting input from everyone on different areas and hotels to consider.  Must do some research now i have something to go on.  😁