Looking for a Trans Pacific cruise with the best/most stops in Polynesia?

Lazz58

I am starting to plan a big trip that includes a land trip of Australia/New Zealand, followed by a Trans Pacific crossing back towards Hawaii/USA.  I am looking for recommendations on cruises that make many stops at the Polynesian islands.  Thanks for your advice.

Crystal does 3 back to back cruises in January 2020, LA-Papeete, Papeete-Auckland, and Auckland-Sydney for 41 nights . They do the same in January 2022. In Fr. Polynesia alone it includes Fakarava, Bora Bora, Moorea, Raiatea, Nuku Hiva, Rangiroa and Papeete. You won't find mainstream cruise lines lingering long in FP because they are usually in a hurry to get the the US west coast for the Alaska season.

• Thanks 1

Most cruises that are trans-pacific are on larger vessels. That said some of the larger vessels can impact/overwhelm smaller islands such as Fakarava, Rangiroa and Nuku Hiva. Not that you won't have a good time just know that the local infrastructure on the smaller islands isn't large enough to deal with accommodating enough excursions for the larger ships. For this reason I recommend you book your excursions on those islands well in advance, either from the ship or privately 😉

7 hours ago, Lazz58 said:

I am starting to plan a big trip that includes a land trip of Australia/New Zealand, followed by a Trans Pacific crossing back towards Hawaii/USA.  I am looking for recommendations on cruises that make many stops at the Polynesian islands.  Thanks for your advice.

I'm not a big ship person but NCL Jewel does Sydney to Papeete on 2/28/20. Has multiple stops in the South Pacific including Fiji, but of French Polynesian islands it does Moorea, Raiatea, Bora Bora and of course Papeete. Good gravy it's 21 days and starts at $849. Then there is a second leg that does Papeete-Hawaii 14 days, and repeats all the same FP ports adding Nuku Hiva....and all then all the Hawaiian islands. 14 days for $649. No wonder there's so much interest. If you just did the Sydney to Papeete portion United has great fares Papeete to SF. And of course doing the second leg one way home from Honolulu is very reasonable.

Like Big Kahuna I lament the big ships in FP and personal opinion is that it takes away from the experience of FP.  But I REALLY understand why people are so attracted. Prices are phenomenal. Even though a cruise line like NCL nickel and dimes you it's still a steal.