Colosseum Tour

tommycanon

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, tbenson81 said:

The official site has all of the options. Arena, underground, Belvedere (which is now the 3rd ring instead of 5th). The official site just sells out quickly and its much harder to get tickets but its the best cost option by a wide margin.

It seems that tickets from the official sites are available 3 months in advance, right? For families, which option would you recommend? Thanks!

We booked via the official site also but its very difficult to get tickets. You basically have to book right when the ticketing options open. If you can get tickets via the official site, that is the way to go. Otherwise you will be paying for the same tour from a private operator, marked up 3-4 times. The combo tour including the underground and belvedere is a very nice tour.

4 hours ago, XuGator said:

We booked via the official site also but its very difficult to get tickets. You basically have to book right when the ticketing options open. If you can get tickets via the official site, that is the way to go. Otherwise you will be paying for the same tour from a private operator, marked up 3-4 times. The combo tour including the underground and belvedere is a very nice tour.

When do the ticketing options open?

18 hours ago, jennyumaa said:

When do the ticketing options open?

It all depends on when you are going. Check out this post Jenny. It is a wealth of information and has everything you need to know.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k12543305-Colosseum_underground_belvedere_panoramic_tickets-Rome_Lazio.html

1 hour ago, XuGator said:

It all depends on when you are going. Check out this post Jenny. It is a wealth of information and has everything you need to know.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k12543305-Colosseum_underground_belvedere_panoramic_tickets-Rome_Lazio.html

This is amazing information! Meanwhile, I have to wonder why they can't come up with a more efficient system...

50 minutes ago, jennyumaa said:

This is amazing information! Meanwhile, I have to wonder why they can't come up with a more efficient system...

Keep in mind we are talking about Italy. :classic_rolleyes:

That said, I think there has been a rush to monetize things in Rome over the past 2-3 years. What used to be covered all on one ticket (Forum, Palatine Hill, Colosseum) is now split into so many different types of tickets -- with upper tier, with lower level, with guided tour, with audioguide -- that it is a bit crazy trying to figure it all out, including which entrance one is supposed to go to for one's tour...!