One way scooter rental Panama canal cruise

Valiamo

Have a friend that wants to cruise with us between Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles and she needs/wants to have an electric scooter (and wants to rent one), she can walk limited distances with her cane (100 feet or so) but not much more.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rental company that will do a 1 way rental, and will deliver to the cruise ship?  Or are we looking at an almost impossible task.  We are doing the Emerald Princess in January.

Thanks

We did one-way cruises from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles (on Holland America) and also from Honolulu to Vancouver BC (Celebrity) and rented scooters on both trips. 

Scootaround or Special Needs at Sea are the two scooter rental companies that Princess uses.   Look at both of their websites and you might be able to get a one way quote on-line; otherwise, you have to call the company and they will give you a price quote.   I would check with both companies because their prices vary.   (PS: if you end up using Scootaround, you can get a 10% discount using code curbfree19 (this is from the Curb Free with Cory Lee website; I am thinking the code might change for 2020  but check his website if you book using this discount in 2020).   https://www.curbfreewithcorylee.com/

We have used both Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround and have never had an issue with either company:   your scooter is in your room when you board the ship and you leave it there when you disembark. 

https://scootaround.com/en/rental

https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/

Do you have an accessible room?  Most scooters will not fit through a regular stateroom door and you cannot leave the scooter in the hall.   If you do not have an accessible room booked, I suggest you contact Princess' Access Office and ask what they advise.     In any event, you will need to complete Princess' Mobility Questionnaire.

Here is information direct from Princess:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

13 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

We did one-way cruises from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles (on Holland America) and also from Honolulu to Vancouver BC (Celebrity) and rented scooters on both trips. 

Awesome, this is the exact detail we are looking for.   We have looked at the Scootaround site, but did not see the one way option.  Good to hear that I can call them and get a quote.  I will also look at the second option to see what they have.  The coupon code is a bonus, yea!

Thanks for the info about the accessible cabin and link to special needs, and yes we are looking at only booking them one of the available cabins as my friend needs to have a sit-down shower option.

Very much appreciated that you have had past experience, as that is always valuable.

• 5 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 1:26 PM, Valiamo said:

Have a friend that wants to cruise with us between Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles and she needs/wants to have an electric scooter (and wants to rent one), she can walk limited distances with her cane (100 feet or so) but not much more.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rental company that will do a 1 way rental, and will deliver to the cruise ship?  Or are we looking at an almost impossible task.  We are doing the Emerald Princess in January.

Thanks

Special Needs at sea is NOT the one to use.  We ordered a chair and the credit card was hit that day.  Princess cancelled the cruise because of the virus.  They charged us $50 cancellation fee and we are still waiting for our refund after 30 days.

• 1 month later...

I've used Special Needs at Sea 3x now, with no problems.

The 3rd time was to be this spring, but the cruise was cancelled because of the virus.  Yes, they tried to charge me the $50 cancellation fee but I refused to pay it because of the situation.  They finally agreed to waive it.  The entire amount was credited to my CC within the week.

SNS includes their insurance (on the scooter) in the rental price & was still cheaper than Scootaround.

Last Nov., I didn't have an Accessible cabin (they book very early) on the Regal Princess so I got a small, fold-able scooter from SNS; it has a 19" width.  It fit thru the cabin door -- barely -- & was a tight fit in the cabin.  The bigger problem was turning into the door way as the cabin was not in an 'open' hallway (across from the elevator bank).

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

We rented a scooter near home for the same trip in February.   Cost $100 LESS for a whole month than Special Needs at Sea wanted for the 12-day pier-to-pier rental.  Same scooter model, looked just like all the rest aboard.

The 'one-way' up-charge is a farce... NCL had a dedicated storage area on the ship where scooters were sanitized and recharged between guests.  If you are in a small cabin, they won't let you park it in the hall, but Guest Services WILL send a steward to drive it to the storage room where it is plugged in to a charger, and bring it back to your cabin in the morning.

We spotted the storage room near the atrium elevator on EPIC, there must have been 10 or 12 in there juicing up.

Although getting it apart to load in our trunk was an adventure, we were very glad to have it at the airports both ways.

I’ve used scootaround many times and they’ve been great. Last summer we embarked in Rome, cruised the Med for 22 days and disembarked in Barcelona.  No problems whatsoever.  One really great thing they did for me was when Delta dropped my Golden Scooter from the door of the luggage hold.  Of course it didn’t work but they got a scooter to the ship that arrived there before we did.  They also shipped my broken scooter back to a repair shop in my area.  They let me take their scooter home, and they picked it up at my house once my scooter was repaired.  Oh, and btw, Delta broke this same scooter when the baggage handler was riding my scooter like a skateboard.  He put the seat back down, and his right knee on the folded seat back, and propelled the scooter with his left leg.  That repair cost Delta a lot because a very nice passenger had a video he sent to me.