Woodwind Tours Boat Question

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

We are interested in doing a tour with Woodwind on our next cruise. We have someone in our party that has expressed concern over the catamaran, because on our last cruise, we did an excursion with a boat (really a dingy) and she struggled getting in and out of the boat. So, she wants to know if there are stairs on the catamaran to get on and off. Are there? If there are, pending no blatant objections to the company, we are going to book our tour. 

Also, in the event that the boat does not have steps, would the tour be enjoyable for someone who does not intend to snorkel? I have read that there's an open bar, does this mean unlimited drinks, or one drink per person? If there are not steps, she still may be interested if she can just sit on the ship and enjoy it.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help, I am getting very excited to plan this cruise! 😄

Is your stair  question about getting in and out of the water?  If so, then yes, there is a ladder, then a few steps. 

There are numerous posts here with photos, if you care to search. 

From the dock, you must be able to step onto the boat, but it will likely be close to level, depending on the tide. No stairs there. 

I would not categorize it as open bar - drinks are offered after the snorkle, but everyone is there to snorkle, not party.

There is not really time or the atmosphere to get tipsy,  but you can certainly have more than one.  

On my sail with them this past week, there was a woman who stayed on the boat reading a book the entire time, so you can  come along just for the ride.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, jdechter said:

is there any beach time or just snorkeling off the boat?

It's a couple of snorkeling stops (number depending on length of excursion) and some sailing, with a delicious hot lunch and bar after the snorkeling is done. No beach time. The water and the reefs are so beautiful, you won't need beach time! Dee and Ulf and the rest of the crew will take excellent care of you, and they have an underwater dive photographer who will take pictures that will be available for purchase on a USB drive (ours is turtle-shaped!).

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 11:10 PM, Ontario cruise duo said:

Definitely a great snorkelling trip.  Well worth the money!  I think if you don’t go snorkelling, they would give you as many drinks as you wish, as long as you don’t go overboard 🤔!  

Do you think this trip would be good for kids ages 8 and 11 ?

If they can swim, yes I think it would be good.  The water was somewhat rough the day we did it.  They have vests available for adults, not sure if they fit kids.  They also have swim noodles available which I used just for extra support.  There was 1 guide in the water at all times with an average group of 10 people.  Have your kids snorkelled before?

We've used Woodwind twice, and I honestly don't recall there being kids along on either sailing. However, they do take out small groups with a guide each for beginner, intermediate, and advanced snorkelers, and I have no doubt that Dee and Ulf can accommodate kids. They were incredible in helping with our needs, and I have seen them give a passenger a float and the guide towed the person when they were not able to swim very well. Still, I would email and confirm, in case they might need to have extra help.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:15 PM, Irish13 said:

Do you think this trip would be good for kids ages 8 and 11 ?

Our kids did it at 4 1/2 and 6 years old last year.

It was amazing.

They had wetsuits to fit both, and provided pool noodles for the 4 1/2 year old to drift with once he got tired.

This trip is 100% amazing for the age category you've asked about.

The kids still talk about it and we've booked again in Dec of 2020.

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

Our kids did it at 4 1/2 and 6 years old last year.

It was amazing.

They had wetsuits to fit both, and provided pool noodles for the 4 1/2 year old to drift with once he got tired.

This trip is 100% amazing for the age category you've asked about.

The kids still talk about it and we've booked again in Dec of 2020.

Thanks so much for responding excited to go now ...