Does Princess still do ship's tours on embarkation day?

chamima

We have friends sailing the Regal for their first ever cruise.

I told them to be sure to take the ship's tour the first day but now I'm wondering if that's still done.

I for sure don't want them to confuse it with the $150/pp (or more)  back of the ship's tour .

25+ cruises...never seen this.

They used to do a ship's tour for the BVE, but BVE is no more.:classic_sad:

There's also the Ultimate Ship Tour, but it costs $$ and is scheduled on a sea day toward the end of the cruise.

Recommendation: Just tell your friends to walk around, start at the top and work their way down.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Or take them around yourself to the public places turning it into a pub crawl.

We won't be on the ship with them.

Does Princess still have the game where you get stamps from lots of areas around the ship to enter some kind of drawing?

Getting those might be a mini tour.

As I said - this is their first cruise - I know there are lots of venues all over the ship and I'd like them to be able to take advantage of all that's offered.

1 minute ago, chamima said:

Does Princess still have the game where you get stamps from lots of areas around the ship to enter some kind of drawing?

As I said - this is their first cruise - I know there are lots of venues all over the ship and I'd like them to be able to take advantage of all that's offered.

That makes it hard!

Didn't see it on our last cruise, but we also don't pay attention. We have never done the stamp promotion so I can't swear it wasn't going.

37 minutes ago, chamima said:

Ahhh... The embarkation day Treasure Hunt thing. We've never done it but used to see the card and the offer on every cruise. We just did a 12 day on Sapphire followed by a 14 day on Emerald. I don't recall seeing this on either cruise. We weren't looking for it but used to always notice it in the past and didn't on these two cruises. It might be dependent on the Cruise Director or Entertainment Director though and still happen on some cruises but not on others.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I told them to be sure to take the ship's tour the first day but now I'm wondering if that's still done.

I for sure don't want them to confuse it with the $150/pp (or more)  back of the ship's tour .

No ship tour. Have not seen this in years.Take the deck plan, or their phone or tablet and visit the public locations themselves.

The treasure hunt is or was a card that you got on boarding. You visited all the locations on the card, heard the talks if any , had the card stamped. Completed cards were handed in at the sail away and there was a drawing for some prizes. I have not seen this the last few years, but it may still exist.

There are 2 ship tours and none are on the first day. A free one does very little other than go in one kitchen door and out the other. The ultimate ship tour for $150 goes behind the scenes everywhere. You also get gifts such as photos, a robe, an apron, personalized note pad and a few more things.

We have done the "Ultimate" ship tour before...it is really interesting but I don't think it would help your friends to get more oriented to the ship.  This tour moves you around via the "back roads" where typically only the crew are allowed.  As others have said, it is always on a sea day and generally nearer to the end of the cruise.  

Hi! I was on the Regal in September so it might not be the most informative for a Caribbean sailing, but I've attached a glimpse of the embarkation day patter. Some quick glances reveal some opportunities where your friends can speak to some crew members/entertainment staff to help them get their bearings, if you will. One includes the Entertainment Discovery Island (1:00PM) and they can maybe stay after to ask any questions they might have 1-on-1. Another is the MedallionClass orientation (3:30PM), which might also provide a little bit of opportunity to get their questions answered 1-on-1 near the end. All of this is by speculation, as I have not attended these events personally. [Edited to add: Ocean Front by the Photo Gallery on deck 6 might be a good start if they have questions about the Medallion and also use the many interactive portal screens set up there. They will have large maps to get a slight feel for the deck plans and also receive directions.]

However, I was on the Crown earlier in the year and noticed that there was a "Ship's Tour of Public Areas" led by the cruise director's staff on embarkation day, which is what you are mentioning. So it seems that this is definitely dependent on ship and the entertainment staff on that ship. If your friends inquire the guest services desk about whether or not there will be a tour, that might also help. Whatever happens, hope they have an amazing time! 

image.thumb.png.2cc50a9e65c1337f25903932acbedf25.png

Edited by snoozecrooze

Snoozecrooze

Thank you SO much!

I've made a copy of the Patter and will give it to them.

I think they are totally overwhelmed right now and I think this will give them some idea of what to expect.

Also glad to hear that my memory of first day tours wasn't totally in my imagination.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

However, I was on the Crown earlier in the year and noticed that there was a "Ship's Tour of Public Areas" led by the cruise director's staff on embarkation day, which is what you are mentioning. So it seems that this is definitely dependent on ship and the entertainment staff on that ship.

I remember this being offered many times in the past and it was always mentioned in the embarkation day Patter.

I do not know if they still offer it, but I expect that participation was low for a number of reasons including:

o Many may not read the Patter until after the tour is over or may read the Patter and just not notice that entry.

o Many passengers will not have boarded by the time that the tour is being held.

o Passengers being too tired after the journey to the embarkation port to want to walk around the ship that much

Doing the Treasure Hunt is a good way to find their way around the ship when going from place to place to get the card stamped, but ius does not include locations of dining rooms, showrooms, pools, etc., only shows places that sell you stuff from the photo gallery to a specialty restaurant to the Spa, etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, denmarks said:

There are 2 ship tours and none are on the first day. A free one does very little other than go in one kitchen door and out the other. The ultimate ship tour for $150 goes behind the scenes everywhere. You also get gifts such as photos, a robe, an apron, personalized note pad and a few more things.

That free one is at the end of the cooking demonstration by the Maitre D' and the head chef. Usually a recipe flyer is given to attendees, the after the demonstration, guests are invited to take a walk through part of a galley.

20 hours ago, chamima said:

It is good of you to want to help your friends on their first cruise.  In the absence of a formal ship’s tour from ship’s staff, I would like to make the following suggestions to help out your friends.  For the most part, experienced cruisers on these CC boards are generally keen to help others, especially pax new to cruising.  Why not tap that valuable resource by introducing them to CC and get them to sign up for their roll call?  You could also monitor their roll call and offer them some guidance there.  My next step would be to get them to sign up for the Meet & Mingle event on that cruise and GO!  At the M&M, they should be able to meet some cruisers who know the ship and who might be able to make some time to take your friends around.  In the absence of a M&M on that cruise, they might be able to get experienced pax on the roll call to take them around.  In addition to getting a physical tour, they may also pick up some tips & tricks from other cruisers.  As I mentioned before, I think experienced cruisers would love to have the opportunity to share their knowledge with someone new.

15 hours ago, jennybenny said:

The boarding day tour was done by the future cruise person as part of the Bon Voyage Program That was discontinued in June. 
The kids still enjoy the boarding day scavenger hunt on ships they haven’t been on before 

They had the boarding day tours of the public area before the Bon Voyage Program existed. They were led by someone on the Cruise Director's staff.