CHEESE IN THE MDR

Tablelamp

Why is it so difficult to get continental cheese in the MDR in the evenings. I am constantly being told that “we do not put it on the cheeseboard because nobody asks for it”.   (How surprising).   Earlier this year, it took four days of repeated asking and a visit to the chef at lunchtime to get some.  When it finally came, there was no choice, a large piece was just put on my plate.

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I agree the selection of cheese is really uninspiring and such an easy thing to buy and store for a ship. We were on Marella and they change the selection on a 3 day rotation and include some nice European choices.

I was impressed with the cheese selection on Marella Explorer. even in the buffet they had four different types each day. I stopped counting when I reached 12, some of which I had never heard of. Stilton was there too, big chunks of it. The Explorer buffet has an excellent salad selection too. I am happy with soup and salad, not in the same bowl of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mysticalmother said:

We have just come off Aurora...and asked for Stilton every night... not a problem at all. (Freedom dining) But interestingly it was never offered, and we helped some first time cruisers with that!

My biggest issue is that it is usually served far too cold...

I like the Port and Stilton cheese which is sometimes available on formal nights but you have to ask for it and it’s more likely to be available if you have struck up a good relationship with your waiter.😋🙂

Last month on Ventura the rounds of Stilton were always available withe the Port infused on formal nights.

Very nice it was. 

Love it when people say that things are not available and I find them very easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Last month on Ventura the rounds of Stilton were always available withe the Port infused on formal nights.

Very nice it was. 

Love it when people say that things are not available and I find them very easily.

Dai, you are virtually part of the fixtures so the waiters probably know that you want Stilton. The rest of us mere mortals need to ask for it if we want it.

I have never had a problem getting Stilton if I ask but the rest of the cheese is frankly a bit basic. I love really stinky Camembert orRochfor or milder Manchego, Lanark Blue  etc etc. There are so many wonderful British and European cheeses so they could ring the changes a bit surely.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I don't like port infused Stilton and the gobstopper sized scoop portion they served on Oceana was less than impressive.

It’s not to everyone’s taste but for those of us that do you can ask for as little or as much as you like.

Needless to say I ask for several scoops. :classic_biggrin:

I must admit my parents finally got me into smelly cheeses after many years of emmental and mild chedder.... I'm generally too full after the meal to go for cheese but to be fair i wouldn't know what they have as they never label it when i have seen it. I'll even eat the goats and sheep cheese too now...