What’s going on with the Dawn?

tampadee

Lots of us were off, I did do self assist, carrying my own luggage. I left the ship before 8.

Maybe something happened with the colored tags where they bring the luggage into the port for you. Or the security guy is being clueless. Private vehicles do have to go elsewhere for pick up. Only taxis can pull up front where the aquarium is.

So the porters were so confused in the luggage and told people to go all the down to the door with their luggage.  Needless to say people had their luggage with them going through screenings.  It was crazy!  

once you got through security they checked you in fast.  We are suppose to have mister drill at 3:30 and they are trying to get everyone on board now.  Looks like we will be about 45 minutes behind schedule.  

Heard that cruise came from transatlantic and some issues with customs.  That is what delayed everyone getting on.  

Looking forward to great cruise!  

1 hour ago, ShannonSC2 said:

Heard that cruise came from transatlantic and some issues with customs.  That is what delayed everyone getting on. 

the Dawn did not do a transatlantic. it did a reposition cruise from New York to Tampa

I disembarked yesterday from the Dawn at Tampa.  We were told via announcements (starting at 8:15 am and then approximately every 15 minutes from Julie the Cruise Director) that the port was having problems with the luggage, and Custom's computers were offline so non-US passport holders were going to be delayed. 

It's true the ship let the "carry your own luggage" off the ship starting at ~7:45 am.  We were taking their early transfer to the airport (light blue luggage tags, disembark time of 8:30 am) but we didn't get the call until 9:40 am.  It seems that the ship also sent all the other luggage colors off the ship about 5 minutes after we got the call as the baggage area was a zoo (maybe this is normal).  We had an 11:55 am flight and we just made it as loading the buses was also a zoo (as everyone was at least an hour later than they expected).

Probably not my best travel experience but certainly not my worst so no big deal but I can't imagine what disembarkation looks like for a 4,000 passenger ship looks like (Dawn is a bit more than 2,300).