Hotels in Honolulu?

chobo2

Hi

I am planning to do a cruise in April 2020 and the departure port is Honolulu. I am trying to figure out the hotel situation. I will definitely follow the 1 day rule and arrive at least 1 day before the cruse departure though I would like to stay 1 more day to look around.

I am having a hard time trying to find which hotels are affordable and decent. There are so many hostels(that are not even that cheap) and many of the hotels seem to have resort fees. The cheapest I found is like $150 CDN (can't remember if this had the resort fee in it)

Also what kind of annoys me all the flights from my city all arrive at 9:25pm so I figure till we are out of the airport and get to the hotel going to be like 11pm so basically paying big money for a few hours in the room.

I saw a mcdonalds near by the airport but I don't know if they are 24 hours open or just the drive thru (also don't know how long you can stay in the mcdonalds before they kick you out).

You are going to be very jetlagged it sounds, so hanging in a McDonalds is, to put it mildly, crazy.

Hawaii is not cheap, and the hotels you probably will want to stay in are, in fact, resorts. I would absolutely not want to stay in a very inexpensive hotel. It might not be very pleasant. You want to stay in the Waikiki area, particularly if you have some time in Honolulu.

Any chance you can break up your flights so you stay, perhaps, on the west coast of Canada or the US overnight, and you can catch a more common 9am-ish flight, putting you in Hawaii around noon?

• Like 2

I agree with CruiserBruce, and if there is no other option other than arriving after 9pm at night, I'd make the most of it and spend 2+ days in Honolulu (or the Waikiki area) before the cruise. The first night you would just check in to the hotel and crash, but if you stay another night or more, you could really enjoy some of the island before the cruise.

Also, check out condo rentals as an alternative. We booked a really nice oceanfront condo for a lot less than a hotel, plus no resort fees.

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You are going to be very jetlagged it sounds, so hanging in a McDonalds is, to put it mildly, crazy.

Hawaii is not cheap, and the hotels you probably will want to stay in are, in fact, resorts. I would absolutely not want to stay in a very inexpensive hotel. It might not be very pleasant. You want to stay in the Waikiki area, particularly if you have some time in Honolulu.

Any chance you can break up your flights so you stay, perhaps, on the west coast of Canada or the US overnight, and you can catch a more common 9am-ish flight, putting you in Hawaii around noon?

flying direct is about half the cost of flying with stop overs. Only 2 flights that I can see go from YVR and both arrive at the same time. I don't really think I would be jet lagged from what looks like 6 hour flight, I done alot longer and was fine.

I am fine with any hotel as long as it is clean. My wife is from Thailand and while travling around in Thailand we stayed in hotels where they did not even bother to paint the walls(just cement walls) since the room was like $20/night but we did not care as we just wanted somewhere to sleep for a few hours and all we wanted was for it to be clean.

4 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I agree with CruiserBruce, and if there is no other option other than arriving after 9pm at night, I'd make the most of it and spend 2+ days in Honolulu (or the Waikiki area) before the cruise. The first night you would just check in to the hotel and crash, but if you stay another night or more, you could really enjoy some of the island before the cruise.

Also, check out condo rentals as an alternative. We booked a really nice oceanfront condo for a lot less than a hotel, plus no resort fees.

Are you talking about airbnb? As I looked on airbnb and did not really see any deals(saw 1 but then I clicked into it and the price doubled as they had like $100 cleaning fee.)

Edited by chobo2

I too hate to pay money for less than 8 hours at a hotel but sometimes it’s nice after traveling to at least have access to a hot shower!  I wouldn’t suggest hanging around a McDonald’s but how about just hang out at the airport?  Lots of people with luggage hanging around and even sleeping.  Bathrooms and access to charging stations as well.

Try other resources other than Airbnb for a condo rental.  When we’ve rented a condo in Maui, I went through a real estate agency.  Price was pretty competitive (cheaper than Airbnb) and the process was handled by the agency.  Lots and lots of condos in Hawaii that are available for your use.  I don’t have a recommendation for you since the company I used only deals with properties in Maui but I’m sure others can help.

You look to be new to Cruise Critic. The forums work best with an exchange of information and your initial post gave responders scant information with which to help your.

I see WestJet flights that arrive at 1:29PM, non-stop from YVR.

Driving to SEA gives you many more options, including several flights that arrive around noon.

The Airport Honolulu Hotel is usually pretty reasonable for cost.