All private Islands

SoloSenior

6 minutes ago, SoloSenior said:

I would love to go on a 7 day cruise that only stops at private Islands. Do you think that will ever happen? 

I wouldn't care if they spent the 3 days at the same island. They are the most fun.

Since most private islands are specific to each brand of cruise line, I doubt it.  

6 minutes ago, SoloSenior said:

I would love to go on a 7 day cruise that only stops at private Islands. Do you think that will ever happen? 

I wouldn't care if they spent the 3 days at the same island. They are the most fun.

Never,because cruise lines want passengers to shop at ports .They get zero percent on anything sold on a private island.

51 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Never,because cruise lines want passengers to shop at ports .They get zero percent on anything sold on a private island.

I think you have it backwards.  They don't get revenue from the ports (aside from the "recommended" shops), but all the money spent on their private island belongs to them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

I think you have it backwards.  They don't get revenue from the ports (aside from the "recommended" shops), but all the money spent on their private island belongs to them.

Correct. If the cruise line controls all cash flow on a private island, how do they not get any revenue? A mystery of the universe!

Rccl has two private islands and sister line celebrity also uses them, really like ladabee they just finished coco cay. They both have a mini Coney Island with rides etc , ladabee is huge . Will be visiting msc Island next week, they do charge for rides also excursions I sure they are making money, lots of bars also.

Edited by George C

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

HUH?

I guess you don't realize that the cruise line OWNS the island.  It is THEIR private island.

So they get every dollar spent on everything, except the straw markets, but the vendors pay the cruise line to have a stall.

36 minutes ago, George C said:

Rccl has two private islands and sister line celebrity also uses them, really like ladabee they just finished coco cay. They both have a mini Coney Island with rides etc , ladabee is huge . Will be visiting msc Island next week, they do charge for rides also excursions I sure they are making money, lots of bars also.

RCI is also opening one in the next year or two in the south Pacific and have others planned in different global locations as well.

The issue would be that (other than with Coco Cay and Labadee) they will be scattered around the globe and not feasible to hit on a single itinerary.

I'll never understand the people that don't like the private islands. It is usually the perfect beach day. No time and money wasted on access fees and transportation. With that said, I wouldn't want an entire cruise of them. It would ruin the variety that cruising offers.

I don't see the lines buying that many more "private islands". Sure they can control the activities, but how many stingray pits do they really need? Plus, the big islands aren't going to want to lose that business. I do predict we will see more "private areas" like we have seen over the past few years.

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

HUH?

I guess you don't realize that the cruise line OWNS the island.  It is THEIR private island.

So they get every dollar spent on everything, except the straw markets, but the vendors pay the cruise line to have a stall.

Actually they are under long term leases with Haiti (Labadee) and the Bahamas (Coco Cay), who share in a portion of that revenue as a result.  As example, RCI pays Haiti a "head tax" for each passenger on a ship docked at Labadee.

But you are absolutely correct that they are a captive market for the revenue generated there.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

31 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I'll never understand the people that don't like the private islands. It is usually the perfect beach day.

For some of us, particularly residents of coastal areas where you can't throw a rock without hitting a beach, the "perfect beach day" often translates to BORRRRRINGGGG. 

Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idraconis said:

I'd consider doing that however I like what they're doing know. If a cruise line has multiple private islands I'd like to see two stop at their islands, on a seven or eight day cruise. 

NCL Pearl is currently on a cruise that stops at two:  Harvest Caye and Great Stirrup Cay.  I can't see her doing this again until maybe next winter.  EM

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For some of us, particularly residents of coastal areas where you can't throw a rock without hitting a beach, the "perfect beach day" often translates to BORRRRRINGGGG. 

Different strokes for different folks.

I get the different strokes inference, but I still don't get going on a cruise and not enjoying the beach. The beaches in the US are not a good comparison to beaches at these islands. Most 7-day cruises, you get 3-4 chances to go to the beach. I'm with you if that was every stop, it would be boring. But one, relaxing stop without extra costs? Sign me up!

21 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

In Labadee Haitian residents are part of a lottery to determine who can go there to sell items .That money goes to them and a partial amount of their profit goes to the Haitian government.

9 hours ago, SRF said:

HUH?

I am talking about the straw markets ,however,it is my understanding that the vendors pay the Haitian government .

Royal’s new Odyssey of the Seas will be offering a 6 night, 3 port itinerary that will call at two private destinations, Coco Cay and Labadee. The third port will be Falmouth (which Royal also financed but it’s not a private destination per se). This is the closest to an “all private island” itinerary I’ve seen.

Also, we are sailing on Holland America in February and we’ll be stopping in Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove. Although the last two are not true private destinations, they offer a semi “private island” experience with their well developed welcome centers, pools and beach areas for the exclusive use of cruise passengers. 

Edited by Tapi

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

The third port will be Falmouth (which Royal also financed but it’s not a private destination per se). This is the closest to an “all private island” itinerary I’ve seen.

Not quite so.  The vast majority of the financing came from the Jamaican development authority.  However, it was based on the initial commitment by RCI to have their Oasis class (along with other ships) call their as their primary Jamaican port of call and was built to handle those ships.  

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'll never understand the people that don't like the private islands. It is usually the perfect beach day. No time and money wasted on access fees and transportation. With that said, I wouldn't want an entire cruise of them. It would ruin the variety that cruising offers.

I don't see the lines buying that many more "private islands". Sure they can control the activities, but how many stingray pits do they really need? Plus, the big islands aren't going to want to lose that business. I do predict we will see more "private areas" like we have seen over the past few years.

The reason that some people don't like private islands is that private islands are beaches.  Some people are beach lovers.  Some people like me are beach haters.  I can take about 10 minutes of beach maximum and then I am bored stiff out of my skull.  How much lying and the sand and doing nothing can one be expected to take.

You can enjoy your beaches.  I need real places when I go on vacation.  Obviously different strokes for different folks.

DON

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not quite so.  The vast majority of the financing came from the Jamaican development authority..  

Yes, you’re correct that the Jamaican government committed money to develop Falmouth, but the point that I was trying to make is that this port is the brain child of Royal Caribbean. They are the ones that approached the Jamaican government to create it. Furthermore, the company that currently owns and leases all establishments at the Falmouth welcome center, is a Royal Caribbean owned company. 

Going back to my post, Falmouth is not a private destination, but it’s another port conceived by Royal Caribbean. On the Odyssey of the Seas itinerary that I referenced, all 3 destinations visited are ports that Royal Caribbean invested in and helped develop. 

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Yes, you’re correct that the Jamaican government committed money to develop Falmouth, but the point that I was trying to make is that this port is the brain child of Royal Caribbean. They are the ones that approached the Jamaican government to create it. Furthermore, the company that currently owns and leases all establishments at the Falmouth welcome center, is a Royal Caribbean owned company. 

Going back to my post, Falmouth is not a private destination, but it’s another port conceived by Royal Caribbean. On the Odyssey of the Seas itinerary that I referenced, all 3 destinations visited are ports that Royal Caribbean invested in and helped develop. 

Well HAL, Princess, NCL, and Disney, Seabourn, and Silversea all have itineraries that include a stop at Falmouth as well, whereas Coco Cay and Labadee are RCI specific destinations. 

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well HAL, Princess, NCL, and Disney, Seabourn, and Silversea all have itineraries that include a stop at Falmouth as well, whereas Coco Cay and Labadee are RCI specific destinations. 

I really don't know because I haven't been paying attention......but has Carnival stopped renting Coco Cay from RCI?  I know they were going there for a little while.