ABC

Vitamin Sea Addict

I couldn't find the "right" board to post this on so this seemed like a smart choice since we will be hitting all three islands on Carnival. Which of the ABC islands is your favorite and WHY? Is there a favorite excursion you have on an island? Or is it just a feeling? We have a good chunk of time to spend on each, but would love to figure out where to focus our time.

Thanks@

I am going to.leave this post here since you would like folks to compare the islands but encourage you to visit the boards for Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao on the port of call board here where you will find lots of good info on each island:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 1

I travelled to the ABC Islands at the start of the year and enjoyed them all.  But my family did enjoy Curacao and Bonaire quite a bit more than Aruba. Aruba just felt so developed it didn’t have the same charm as the other 2.  Plus the excursions we did on Bonaire and Curacao were excellent - I’d recommend them whole-heartedly.

They are outlined in posts 15 and 16 of this thread.

Curacao is my favorite.  It's a little different than the typical Caribbean feel- more like a European city.  For excursions, we went to Blue Bay there and felt it was a nice compromise.  The western beaches are nicer, but much further away.  Mambo beach is close, but crowded and crazier.  Blue Bay is about 15-20 minutes away, but is part of a condo complex or something, so not crowded. We also really enjoyed walking the town after some time at the beach.  Lots of places to get drinks, lots of shops to browse, plenty of nice picture opportunities, and we felt very safe wandering.

We were looking for a cruise that went to Bonaire and Curacao, and were told by the future cruise people that Carnival doesn't offer that because Aruba is by far the most popular of the ABC islands and is the port they make sure to include on most/all of their southern itineraries.  And in talking to people it seems like everyone LOVES Aruba, so I'd believe that.  We thought it was nice, but not our favorite- seemed more developed and boring to us.  The day we went, the water was churned up and the snorkeling was just average, so I'm sure that didn't help our perspective.

We haven't been to Bonaire, but have it planned for 2021.  I've heard even average snorkeling in Bonaire is actually amazing so we're excited about checking it out.  It doesn't seem like a place to hang on the beach- but a great place to be in the water so I'm expecting to love it. 

I'm expecting Curacao to stay my favorite, but hoping Bonaire will be a close second. 

Bonaire was my favorite of the three. Curacao is nice but as stated above feels like a European town. I thought Aruba was very commercialized but the beaches are beautiful. Snorkeling in Bonaire is amazing. I recommend going over to Klein Bonaire to snorkel or take a snorkel cruise. Woodwind Bonaire is excellent and you can walk to their dive shop right down from the port. Arashi Beach and Baby Beach are my favorites in Aruba.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lagienomai said:

Bonaire was my favorite of the three. Curacao is nice but as stated above feels like a European town. I thought Aruba was very commercialized but the beaches are beautiful. Snorkeling in Bonaire is amazing. I recommend going over to Klein Bonaire to snorkel or take a snorkel cruise. Woodwind Bonaire is excellent and you can walk to their dive shop right down from the port. Arashi Beach and Baby Beach are my favorites in Aruba.

I whole heartily agree about Woodwind. We went with them 3 years ago and will again in 2021. Dee and her crew are excellent and professional. The snorkeling is excellent in Bonaire. Plenty to see. 
Hank

6 hours ago, lagienomai said:

I will throw in another plus for Bonaire as our favorite and snorkeling from the S/V Woodwind off of Klein Bonaire.  We have been on quite a few snorkel excursions and this was the best, hands down, for both the quality of the snorkeling and the time on the boat.  Far too many "Catamaran Sailboat" excursions are indeed on a sailboat, but the sails are never unfurled and you go via motor propulsion.  The Woodwind actually went under sail and it was awesome.

Curacao is also nice and we did a sunset cruise which was great since we were in port pretty late as we only had to go the 70 miles to Aruba overnight.  Willamstad is a lovely city and there are some nice shops, attractions and restaurants.