From Southhampton to Heathrow...

12 hours ago, JayRich65 said:

coming back from Southhampton to LHR, we have a 1230 international flight booked through Princess EzAir, so I'm a little leary about taking private transportation to LHR, in case something goes wrong and Princess tries to blame on us, if we miss flight.  So, I'm considering just sticking with the LHR transfer with Princess.

A private transfer will get you to LHR sooner than ships transfer. And cost about the same for two people.

but it’s which of those you feel more comfortable with.

JB :classic_smile:

19 hours ago, JayRich65 said:

I usually like to book my own transfers, bus, train, metro, etc. and I'm considering a transfer from LHR to Southhampton which includes a stop at Stonehenge, it's not cheap 94 pounds, but we've never been to Stonehenge.  But coming back from Southhampton to LHR, we have a 1230 international flight booked through Princess EzAir, so I'm a little leary about taking private transportation to LHR, in case something goes wrong and Princess tries to blame on us, if we miss flight.  So, I'm considering just sticking with the LHR transfer with Princess.

a private transfer for 2 is going to be in the 100-120GBP range, so if the princess transfer is in the same ballpark, I'd stick to that.

On October 5th we disembarked the Explorer of the Seas in Southampton.  Our Royal Carribean transfer (bus) left at 8am for Heathrow.  Got to the airport in about 2 1/2 hours.  Traffic not bad for a Saturday morning.  Lines were long to check luggage and go through security.  We had time for breakfast at the airport - our flight back to the US was at 1:30pm.

17 hours ago, scottbee said:

a private transfer for 2 is going to be in the 100-120GBP range, so if the princess transfer is in the same ballpark, I'd stick to that.

Just ask for a quote from Smith, they are very swift with their replies, but the transfer has to be within the next 6 months, no later.

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

13 hours ago, tartana said:

Does Princess have the transfer price in their cruise planner typically?  I see transfers including tours but not a basic transfer.. Just curious - thnx

We booked the transfer with Stonehenge from Princess, but before that our TA had the regular transfers on our invoice. They were priced at $59 per person each way. (this was to Heathrow.)

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We booked the transfer with Stonehenge from Princess, but before that our TA had the regular transfers on our invoice. They were priced at $59 per person each way. (this was to Heathrow.)

Great - thank you 

On 11/26/2019 at 12:58 PM, John Bull said:

Well, you flight IS after 4pm. :classic_wink:

OK, only by one minute, but just like other transport professionals they'll be allowing a big margin to cover their *sses

They, and other cruise lines, do the same with their direct airport transfers.

You could really do with Princess telling you what time their coach is due to arrive at LHR, and if possible what time it's scheduled to leave Stonehenge.

For a 4pm flight I'd want to be at LHR by 2pm - a two hour window is comfortable.

A 90 minute window is "adequate", but would make you feel a little nervous - and a scheduled arrival time after 2pm would allow little wiggle-room for a traffic delay between Stonehenge and  LHR.

Is it just Stonehenge, or Salisbury & Stonehenge.

The coach would leave the pier by about 8.30am and if its only Stonehenge it'd arrive about 9.30, mebbe a few minutes later due to the time of day.

90 minutes is about right to spend at Stonehenge, mebbe 2 hours.

So depart Stonehenge 11am to 11.30 (any delay getting to Stonehenge would simply cut the time there in order to keep to schedule) and the drive to LHR is about 1 hr 45.

So that's LHR at about 12.45 to 1.15pm.

Which kinda ties in with an overly-cautious "flights after 4pm"

I don't see a problem, but I guess you'd be more comfortable if you could get those times from Princess.

The flight time was changed. It is now 4:25 so there is even less to worry about even though based on our last experience with Dover to Heathrow  via Canterbury, I had faith in them even with the closer time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a ship transfer, Southampton to Terminal 2, and made an international flight for 1330.

Terminal 5 is much easier to get around and less congested if your airline flies from there.

Have also used Eddie Manning dot com and can highly recommend this car service.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, vettegal99 said:

On October 5th we disembarked the Explorer of the Seas in Southampton.  Our Royal Carribean transfer (bus) left at 8am for Heathrow.  Got to the airport in about 2 1/2 hours.  Traffic not bad for a Saturday morning.  Lines were long to check luggage and go through security.  We had time for breakfast at the airport - our flight back to the US was at 1:30pm.

Do the RCI transfer busses have rest rooms?  I'm trying to decide what transportation to take back to LHR after my cruise.

19 minutes ago, nyer said:

Do the RCI transfer busses have rest rooms?  I'm trying to decide what transportation to take back to LHR after my cruise.

They contract from a number of local coach operators, the majority of coaches have a restroom..

I don't think they stipulate restroom required, I've driven numerous cruise ship transfers with and without a restroom, but I don't recall whether any without restroom were RCI. 

Buses are each allocated to a single airport terminal, probably more than one to each so it's possible to check at the coach stand before your luggage is loaded, and ask to be switched to the next one.

Journey time to LHR is about 90 minutes - a comfort stop isn't normal,  but possible at either Winchester Service Area  (about 30 minutes out) or Fleet Service Area (about 55 minutes out).

we are also a party of 4 on anthem  6/20/2020-6/28/220 leaving from southampton on the 28th

looking at a flight on united leaving at 12:15 pm on the 28th anyone have any info for our options

in order to make this flight without any stress

That's 28th June, 2020, right?

A sunday :classic_smile:

Yippee

Unassisted disembarkation (haul your own luggage from your cabin) at about 7am

(ignore any references to arrival times like 5am, that's arrival time & not disembarkation time)

Car booked to be at the terminal 7.15am

try

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

or https://westquaycars.com/ or http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

or https://www.blackberrycars.com/

Advise them of your luggage, and expect a quote of around £100. The first three are based at the Southampton end, Blackberry are LHR -based, all are well-recommended on Cruise Critic

On a sunday you'll be at LHR comfortably before 9am (or LGW comfortably before 9.30am).

Even if the motorway is closed due to a big accident the alternate routes won't be badly clogged on a sunday

I'd say ask for an early assisted slot (from 7.30), but unassisted avoids the herd, hunting for bags, etc.

Train is a no-no for LHR, and the first Nat Express bus of the day (8am) arrives LHR at 10.15am - OK, but no real margin for delays

21 hours ago, John Bull said:

They contract from a number of local coach operators, the majority of coaches have a restroom..

I don't think they stipulate restroom required, I've driven numerous cruise ship transfers with and without a restroom, but I don't recall whether any without restroom were RCI. 

Buses are each allocated to a single airport terminal, probably more than one to each so it's possible to check at the coach stand before your luggage is loaded, and ask to be switched to the next one.

Journey time to LHR is about 90 minutes - a comfort stop isn't normal,  but possible at either Winchester Service Area  (about 30 minutes out) or Fleet Service Area (about 55 minutes out).

Thank you for your quick response.   One more question, what is the best way to get to Southampton from London...bus or train?

1 hour ago, nyer said:

Thank you for your quick response.   One more question, what is the best way to get to Southampton from London...bus or train?

Can depend a bit on where you are in London. Basically your choices are:

1) Train Waterloo to Southampton Central (quickest and most expensive, but not overly so).

2) Train Victoria to Southampton Central ( slower and cheaper than above as it goes a roundabout route)

3) National Express Coach from Victoria Coach station (300yds down the road from the train station) to Souhampton Coach station (in the same basic area as the train station). (Slower than 1), quicker than 2), but usually cheapest!)

Do a dummy booking on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

to compare.

I'd have no qualms on using any of these 3. Bear in mind trains can only be booked 12 weeks ahead, but the coach can be booked a year or more ahead.

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

2 hours ago, nyer said:

As Simon's answer.

Pros & cons, and personal preference. 

Since you'll have luggage, convenience from your London hotel might make the difference - near Waterloo means the train,  near Victoria means the slow train or the Nat. Express bus. 

Whichever you choose, book ahead

- for the train to get the best price. Super-cheap advance tickets available from about 8 weeks out but only good for the train time that you book

- for the bus to ensure the bus time that you want is available, but it's always cheaper than the train.

As per Simon's reply, Southampton Central rail station & coach station are equi-distant from the cruise terminals, the furthest cruise berth is no more than a £10 taxi ride.

2 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Can depend a bit on where you are in London. Basically your choices are:

1) Train Waterloo to Southampton Central (quickest and most expensive, but not overly so).

2) Train Victoria to Southampton Central ( slower and cheaper than above as it goes a roundabout route)

3) National Express Coach from Victoria Coach station (300yds down the road from the train station) to Souhampton Coach station (in the same basic area as the train station). (Slower than 1), quicker than 2), but usually cheapest!)

Do a dummy booking on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ and https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

to compare.

I'd have no qualms on using any of these 3. Bear in mind trains can only be booked 12 weeks ahead, but the coach can be booked a year or more ahead.

Simon

4) Train from Paddington Station to Reading Station, change trains, train to Southampton.  Still faster than coach or train from Victoria, only slightly slower than the fastest trains from Waterloo; but you'll rarely see a cheap ticket, as it's multiple rail operators.  There are a few websites that search for split ticket deals (trainsplit).  While it's likely more expensive than a discount direct train ticket  from Waterloo or Victoria, it may be worth it if you're staying in the Paddington area (or anywhere along the Paddington -> Reading line)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 5:11 AM, ontheweb said:

Why is this same transfer through Princess, (including Stonehenge) costing $139.00 pp ?????

We are booked on the Regal for a September BI cruise. 

58 minutes ago, nini said:

Why is this same transfer through Princess, (including Stonehenge) costing $139.00 pp ?????

We are booked on the Regal for a September BI cruise. 

Admission to Stonehenge (included in the transfer) accounts for about $25 of the $80 difference.

Plus an extra 35 miles / 50 minutes  travelling, and about 90 minutes waiting time at Stonehenge. 

International Friends' transfer via Stonehenge (only available in the opposite direction) costs about $122, not a lot less than Princess altho their price is from either central London (good value) or Heathrow (not such good value).

Princess' direct transfer has been at $59 or thereabouts for a number of years - is it now due for an increase?

And that $59 transfer has always been better value than other cruise lines - even some years ago, RCI's price was over $100. :classic_ohmy: 

I've accused Princess of gouging elsewhere, but they've been very good value for their direct Heathrow transfers, and that perhaps exaggerates the price difference via Stonehenge.  

18 minutes ago, nini said:

But, poster  "ontheweb" said that their rate included Stonehenge, so that is why I am confused.

If you are talking about post #31, I don't think that is what they said. I think they said that originally they had the direct transfer on their invoice, and it was priced at $59. Then they changed it to the one with Stonehenge.

14 minutes ago, nini said:

But, poster  "ontheweb" said that their rate included Stonehenge, so that is why I am confused.

Ahh, yes, just found that post.

Memories play tricks, mixing-up places & prices & such, especially for those who travel a lot.

And methinks on-the-web has been on too may cruises. :classic_wink: 

Take it from me, that $59 was for a simple direct transfer from ship to Heathrow.

Or the clerk handling their booking was looking at the wrong list when charging.