Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bmc alabama

Elite trade out for Coffee Cards - Interesting experience on Regal

Recommended Posts

So, we boarded the Regal Princess today, and, because my wife is Elite (I am Platinum), the mini-bar was setup in the room.  So, I call to change it out to the Coffee Cards.  No problem.

 

Fast forward to tonight as we go to get our Coffee.  Find out that my wife has the Coffee card added to hers, but I have nothing.  So, I go to Guest Services and the agent calls Food and Beverage.  She is told that only my wife can have the Coffee card because she is Elite and they can’t put the other on mine because I am Platinum.  Mind you, we’ve done this very thing numerous times before including this past March on this same ship.  Nope, not now.  I ask about the fact that the tradeout is supposed to be for 2 coffee cards, which guest services confirms, but she says that my wife will have to use the first 15, then the second card will be loaded on to her account.

 

Not a big deal as my wife just has to order the coffee, but now I cannot get regular coffee at the IC throughout the trip, which is a bummer...

 

Has anyone run into this before?

Edited by bmc alabama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So please just explain this to me. From what you are saying, if husband and wife are both Elite, in swapping out the mini bar setup,  do they get the equivalent of 4 coffee cards (two each)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, joybook said:

So please just explain this to me. From what you are saying, if husband and wife are both Elite, in swapping out the mini bar setup,  do they get the equivalent of 4 coffee cards (two each)?

No, only one mini-bar set-up, (or two coffee cards swap-out) per cabin, no matter how many Elites in the cabin. Even if there was a couple and their children in a four berth cabin, all Elites - still only one mini-bar setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. That's what I thought but reading bmc alabama I was getting a different interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not heard of that, makes no sense to not give the two to whomever the elite wants, whether that's themself or a cabin mate. 

 

Another attempted cutback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it "Another attempted cutback"?  The benefit, i.e. mini-bar or two coffee cards, belong to the Elite passenger and is non-transferable.  She still get the full benefit of 30 Specialty coffee drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee if she so desires.  Yes, she can share the contents of the mini-bar with anyone she chooses and likewise can share the 30  Specialty coffee drinks but those are specified finite quantities.  What you cannot do is give unlimited "free" drinks to someone (Platinum) who has not yet earned that perk.

 

It was nice that the OP received the perk on a previous voyage, but I find no fault in Princess' reasoning.  However, it would be nice to have some consistency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DH & I  will be elite for 1st time on next cruise. I will exchange the mini bar for the coffee pkgs. He is not a coffee drinker. Someone said have both pkgs put on my medallion. I can't remember if they said they had done this or said I should try requesting this. Has.anyone done this? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retired_Army said:

Why is it "Another attempted cutback"?  The benefit, i.e. mini-bar or two coffee cards, belong to the Elite passenger and is non-transferable.

I think the 'non-transferable' part is what is most important.  So many elites who swapped out the setup for the cards were accustomed to 'transferring' (read as selling) are now discovering what non-transferable means.  No, it's not a cutback, Princess just figured out how to stop the abuse of the perk.

 

OP can still get the unlimited coffee at IC, he just needs to buy it like the rest of us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 On both of my October cruises on the royal princess I traded in my mini bar and I was given two coffee packages; each time I shared with a cabin mate. I called and had one transferred over into their name each time with no problems whatsoever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Retired_Army said:

Why is it "Another attempted cutback"?  The benefit, i.e. mini-bar or two coffee cards, belong to the Elite passenger and is non-transferable.  She still get the full benefit of 30 Specialty coffee drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee if she so desires.  Yes, she can share the contents of the mini-bar with anyone she chooses and likewise can share the 30  Specialty coffee drinks but those are specified finite quantities.  What you cannot do is give unlimited "free" drinks to someone (Platinum) who has not yet earned that perk.

 

It was nice that the OP received the perk on a previous voyage, but I find no fault in Princess' reasoning.  However, it would be nice to have some consistency. 

Where does it say “non-transferable”?  All it says is that you may trade the minibar for 2 coffee cards.  Beyond that, it’s up for interpretation.  We have friends on another ship, same situation, and they were allowed to do it.  I’m thinking it must be the new F&B manager on Regal...

 

They did, at least, let my daughter and I go with my wife on the priority tender this morning (Princess Cays) without any questions...

Edited by bmc alabama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Where does it say “non-transferable”?  

It says it in the description of the New Grounds Coffee Package (There are no longer Coffee Cards, it's called New Grounds Coffee Package.)

"Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Where does it say “non-transferable”?  All it says is that you may trade the minibar for 2 coffee cards.  Beyond that, it’s up for interpretation.  We have friends on another ship, same situation, and they were allowed to do it.  I’m thinking it must be the new F&B manager on Regal...

Sorry, but the Coffee Card is in effect "purchased" or awarded to your wife due to her Captain's Circle Elite status.

She can  choose to share the contents of the mini-bar or specialty coffees if desired but that it all.

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions 2019

What is Included

  • The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

  • The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Additional terms and conditions apply: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

 

As stated previously, it would be nice to have some consistency to avoid people feeling slighted because sometimes some people get different treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then they should have told us this upfront or we may not have exchanged the minibar.  It doesn’t make sense to have one person have two packages.

 

When I State that it doesn’t say non-transferable, I am not talking about the package rules, I am talking about the Elite benefit page where it just states that the minibar can be traded for 2 packages.  It doesn’t mention any restrictions on who can have them.

 

I suppose I could not drink anything off of the minibar either, then, if this is the case.  Also, asked our steward about laundry (as I thought maybe it was just my wife’s clothes) and he said that the perk goes with the stateroom as long as there is 1 Elite member staying.

 

Also, no Platinums in Elite lounge (for those asking on the other thread), though there is a Platinum and Elite reception.

Edited by bmc alabama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what would be really nice?

 

If all staff and crew on all Princess ships were expected to follow the same policies ... you know, those Princess publishes on their website and promo materials.

 

Is consistency  ship to ship too much to ask? 

 

Edited by pms4104

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Retired_Army said:

Sorry, but the Coffee Card is in effect "purchased" or awarded to your wife due to her Captain's Circle Elite status.

She can  choose to share the contents of the mini-bar or specialty coffees if desired but that it all.

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions 2019

What is Included

  • The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

  • The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Additional terms and conditions apply: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

 

As stated previously, it would be nice to have some consistency to avoid people feeling slighted because sometimes some people get different treatment.

We have taken numerous Princess Cruises and have always had the 2 packages split, as recently as March on this very ship.  It was never any problem.  I was just wondering when it changed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

When I State that it doesn’t say non-transferable, I am not talking about the package rules, I am talking about the Elite benefit page where it just states that the minibar can be traded for 2 packages.  It doesn’t mention any restrictions on who can have them.

 

In the Captain's Circle Elite Benefits description it doesn't mention trading the mini bar setup for coffee packages.  Where did you see that it stated that?

 

"Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up
Your stateroom will receive one mini bar set up consisting of a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water. Once onboard you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply. Drinks will be refilled upon request and you will only be charged for the additionally requested drinks consumed."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we were on the CB in August, my husband (Elite) traded the minibar for 2 coffee packages and there was no problem at all putting one of the packages on my (Platinum) account.  I hope it is still that way in January when we are on the Coral for my last cruise as Platinum.  After that, it won't matter since we'll both be elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

In the Captain's Circle Elite Benefits description it doesn't mention trading the mini bar setup for coffee packages.  Where did you see that it stated that?

 

"Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up
Your stateroom will receive one mini bar set up consisting of a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water. Once onboard you may contact Room Service to change your mini-bar selection. Certain restrictions apply. Drinks will be refilled upon request and you will only be charged for the additionally requested drinks consumed."

image.thumb.png.a8f827147a932ac2efdbdcc30a314a6f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

image.thumb.png.a8f827147a932ac2efdbdcc30a314a6f.png

My wife received her first mini-bar on the Crown earlier this month.  It had not been delivered when we boarded but she called and swapped the 8 alcohols for 8 beer and the rest for Perrier.  Delivery came in the dinner time period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

... Also, asked our steward about laundry (as I thought maybe it was just my wife’s clothes) and he said that the perk goes with the stateroom as long as there is 1 Elite member staying.

 

I bet that's another policy that is inconsistently applied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

When I State that it doesn’t say non-transferable, I am not talking about the package rules, I am talking about the Elite benefit page where it just states that the minibar can be traded for 2 packages.  It doesn’t mention any restrictions on who can have them.

Are you trying to imply that the package terms of use shouldn't apply to you because you traded in your mini bar?

You are getting exactly what was stated, two coffee packages, and according to the package's terms, they are are non-transferable. I guess it's up to you to know what you are trading for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Are you trying to imply that the package terms of use shouldn't apply to you because you traded in your mini bar?

You are getting exactly what was stated, two coffee packages, and according to the package's terms, they are are non-transferable. I guess it's up to you to know what you are trading for.

No, I am implying that the Elite benefits page is ambiguous.  It states as above that a minibar may be traded for 2 coffee cards.  It says nothing about how the coffee cards are applied.  If it can not be assigned to another person in the cabin, than it should be stated that way.  Even the lady at Guest Services states she had never seen it done this way before and that usually, you just assign it to 2 people staying in the Elite cabin.

 

Its really not a big deal other than my wife has to always go with me to the IC, because the coffee card DOES NOT restrict who gets the coffee, just that you have so many.  That’s why I don’t get this policy.  It’s not like it’s really doing anything else, especially on Royal class ships where you can get brewed coffee in the HC...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

It states as above that a minibar may be traded for 2 coffee cards.  It says nothing about how the coffee cards are applied.

The terms of the the coffee card are what they are.

My guess is Princess doesn't feel the need to spell everything out for everyone or every situation.

Now that Princess seems to be trying to enforce these terms, it wouldn't hurt them to add: (terms and conditions may apply)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say, despite the detail information on the New Grounds Coffee Package, that it has been reported here countless times that the exchange of mini-bar for two packages results in each cabin mate having the package.  Perhaps there is a change, but the typical cruise length of 7-14 days would seem challenging to use up two cards consecutively. 

 

In my thinking, once whoever receives the package gets it, they are then subject to all the terms and conditions (i.e. no transferring, sharing, selling).  

 

I have always thought two packages is more than necessary (but personally, we don't drink a lot of the beverages in the package). 

 

If someone at Guest Services said never seen this before, then I would have inquired further or escalated to get an explanation.  One thing we do know with Princess is that things are always changing and not necessarily consistent from ship to ship.  It will be interesting to hear if this begins to occur elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...