Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BuckeyeMark

Need help - ran up a big cell phone bill but had Net package

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

That part seems odd.

 

A bit.  But it IS Apple. 😄

 

But it makes a bit of sense.  If it is ON, and it was ON in Airplane Mode, going back to Airplane Mode, leaves it ON.

 

If it is OFF, Airplane Mode will not turn it On.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Not at all related, but I just learned of another recent iPhone update that helps me tremendously...Silence Unknown Callers.  With this on, your iPhone silences any callers that are not in your contacts or your recent outgoing call list.  Does a great job of killing robocalls.  If you get a legitimate call from someone who is not in your contacts, they'll be routed to voice-mail and you'll get a notification that the call happened.

 

I just read an article about the hazards of this.

 

Suppose someone close to you ends up in the emergency room, they call you.  Since that number is not in your contacts, it rolls to voice mail.  Which you might not listen to for a while.......

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

 

We also get that message when we are in a foreign port and our phone connects to the local provider.  However, we get no informational text when connecting to the ship's cell service (Cellular at Sea).

 

I get a similar message each country I connect it.  It tells me that my T-Mobile roaming is covered for text and data, and that I will pay 25 cents per minute for calls.

 

I have never actually connected to Cellular at Sea, so not sure what message I would get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

I was just able to replicate this but also noticed when I turned off Bluetooth that I got a message saying Bluetooth would be automatically turned on tomorrow.  I use it daily in my car so this is a good thing.  Like Bob, I think Apple has a good solution in place related to how Airplane mode, WIFI, and Bluetooth work together.  Fits my needs well.

 

Not at all related, but I just learned of another recent iPhone update that helps me tremendously...Silence Unknown Callers.  With this on, your iPhone silences any callers that are not in your contacts or your recent outgoing call list.  Does a great job of killing robocalls.  If you get a legitimate call from someone who is not in your contacts, they'll be routed to voice-mail and you'll get a notification that the call happened.

 

First, the reason I went over was streaming the radio feed from the Ohio State radio network (hello Paul Keels!) as I listened to us beat Penn State!

 

Second, thanks for the tip on the telemarketers!  GENIUS!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SRF said:

Suppose someone close to you ends up in the emergency room, they call you.  Since that number is not in your contacts, it rolls to voice mail.  Which you might not listen to for a while.......

 

The thing that's hard to believe about this is that anyone would be able to remember anyone's phone number any more. I always have to look at my phone to get the numbers. I can still remember old phone numbers...like my parent's land line that they no longer have...but I always have to look up what their cell number is. It all started with Speed Dial 1...

 

Just thinking that most people I know would be with someone that would be calling me...but the point is well taken. Could make things like the odd ball number from the dentist office calling to confirm an appointment go to voicemail... Not every call you don't recognize is unwanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Just thinking that most people I know would be with someone that would be calling me...but the point is well taken. Could make things like the odd ball number from the dentist office calling to confirm an appointment go to voicemail... Not every call you don't recognize is unwanted.

 

Definitely a risk that you could miss an important call with the Silence Unknown Caller feature turned on.  I have my dentist (and my various doctors, and my favorite Thai take out place, etc.) all in my contacts. Otherwise, as you note, I'd never remember their phone numbers.  For the emergency room scenario, I'd need to rely on the notification that pops up saying that I just received a call, which happens even if the call is silenced.  I generally look at all notifications.  Definitely not perfect but an acceptable trade off to get rid of the half dozen+ robocalls that I get daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Silence Unknown callers.  I don’t answer unknown calls anyway, so this makes it easier.

 

Another phone technology to use when traveling.  Download the google maps of places you are going to visit and since your gps works in airplane mode, you can use the offline maps for directions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, placing your phone in airplane mode is imperative for two reasons:

 

1) Some phone software only uses WiFi when you have a weak or no cell signal (the cell signal on RC is usually pretty strong).

2) Even if you don't make any calls, your phone can connect to the carrier's data if you are at a location where there is no Internet connection. There are lots of pockets along the route when the ship loses its Internet connectivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Another phone technology to use when traveling.  Download the google maps of places you are going to visit and since your gps works in airplane mode, you can use the offline maps for directions.  

 

My DS has taught me to take screen shots of maps. Screen shots of anything that I want information on or a picture of...like my ticket to a concert, etc. Then I never have to worry about any quality of service anywhere and have the information I want/need by opening up Photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

My DS has taught me to take screen shots of maps

But if you use the caching feature you can then get a live view of your location, even without service!  Even though my plan has data service in 250+ countries at no extra charge (except for data used) I still cache maps so I don't use data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 4:46 AM, bigque said:

This is exactly why from the time we leave port to the time we get back I leave my phone in airport mode. I’m not trying to go on the internet or text anybody or anything with my phone other than take pictures. 

I do the exact same thing.  I have heard too many horror stories of monster cell phone bills.  The only times I take it off airplane mode during a cruise is when we are in a port in a US state or territory. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Just thinking that most people I know would be with someone that would be calling me...but the point is well taken. Could make things like the odd ball number from the dentist office calling to confirm an appointment go to voicemail... Not every call you don't recognize is unwanted.

 

Having been the one in the emergency room, no someone might not be with you.  Or might be in as bad as shape as you are, and the phone used to call is the hospital phone.

 

I am VERY happy that my family was not using this "feature"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

 

My DS has taught me to take screen shots of maps. Screen shots of anything that I want information on or a picture of...like my ticket to a concert, etc. Then I never have to worry about any quality of service anywhere and have the information I want/need by opening up Photos.

 

Google maps allows you to download maps.

 

Maps.me only uses downloaded maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

Definitely a risk that you could miss an important call with the Silence Unknown Caller feature turned on.  I have my dentist (and my various doctors, and my favorite Thai take out place, etc.) all in my contacts. Otherwise, as you note, I'd never remember their phone numbers.  For the emergency room scenario, I'd need to rely on the notification that pops up saying that I just received a call, which happens even if the call is silenced.  I generally look at all notifications.  Definitely not perfect but an acceptable trade off to get rid of the half dozen+ robocalls that I get daily.

 

But you get a notification that an unknown caller called.  

 

Even with a voice mail, will it be a priority to listen to it?

 

Just looking at the other side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always turn off data when on the boat and then connect to wifi.

I have noticed on all lines that I will drop off the wifi once in a while and need to log in again.

If you are not in airplane mode or have not turned off data then the phone will automatically switch to data when wifi goes out and run up your bill.

Always go it airplane mode or turn off data as the buildings get smaller.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 7:05 AM, John&LaLa said:

Luckily you have AT&T as a provider. You may be able to negotiate something, but it is your fault. 

 

Laura forgot to put it on WiFi calling once and it cost us $500 for two 30 minute calls. Tmobile gave us around $50 credit, could not do more since it was a pass thru charge from AT&T.

 

 

I got hit with a $50.00 charge from ATT on our harmony cruise.. I thought Cozumel was covered under my plan.. well.. its not.. Lesson Learned.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RickinStl said:

 

I got hit with a $50.00 charge from ATT on our harmony cruise.. I thought Cozumel was covered under my plan.. well.. its not.. Lesson Learned.. 

 


People definitely should check their plans. I have AT&T and Cozumel was covered in my plan. I had to switch from a grandfathered plan a few years ago to get Canada, Mexico and the $10;a day travel passes.  But as you found out it is not covered in all plans. But others in our group had AT&T and plans from other carriers that did not have North America roaming. Also if you plan to use $10 a day travel passes at ports while most countries we have been to are included there are a few that are not. Check the list with your carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Note that for Verizon, the Travel Pass in Mexico (and Canada) is $5 per day.  All other countries are $10 per day.

 

 Loves travel pass. Have used it quite a bit. The ability to go and access our domestic plan for a one time daily price is fantastic. It’s nice to keep the phone away for most of the cruise but to catch up once or twice with friends and family back home 

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, Anita Latte said:

 

The thing that's hard to believe about this is that anyone would be able to remember anyone's phone number any more. I always have to look at my phone to get the numbers. I can still remember old phone numbers...like my parent's land line that they no longer have...but I always have to look up what their cell number is. It all started with Speed Dial 1...

 

 

 

So true. Once I left my cell phone at home and the only number that I could remember was my parents phone number which is the one I grew up with. I had to call my father to get my wife's cell phone number so I could let her know that I didn't have my cell if she needed me.  My parents are 87 yrs old. I don't know how much longer I can count on them for this service. I better write my wife's and son's numbers down and leave them in the glove compartment of my car.  I am also known for leaving my wallet at home but never both the phone and wallet at the same time. At least I have apple pay if I forget my wallet. I'm lost without my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I turn my phone off when we get to our cabin and it goes in the safe, doesn’t get turned on until the cruise is over.

 I tell my family if someone dies pack them in extra ice until I get home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

So true. Once I left my cell phone at home and the only number that I could remember was my parents phone number which is the one I grew up with. I had to call my father to get my wife's cell phone number so I could let her know that I didn't have my cell if she needed me.  My parents are 87 yrs old. I don't know how much longer I can count on them for this service. I better write my wife's and son's numbers down and leave them in the glove compartment of my car.  I am also known for leaving my wallet at home but never both the phone and wallet at the same time. At least I have apple pay if I forget my wallet. I'm lost without my phone.


The only phone number I know now is my own. My contacts are in iCloud though so I can access them on my iPad and my computer if I don’t have the phone.  I also have an Apple Watch that has LTE so I can leave the phone at home. I have even answered calls on the Apple Watch and the caller did not know or notice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...