We're doing a second full transit soon; what to look out for since 2017?

Turtles06

My wife and I first transited the Canal in January 2017.  It was an amazing experience, and we'll be returning this January (again going westbound/southbound).  We're on the NCL Gem, so we should (again) be in the original locks.  I've kept up here and continue to appreciate the great information and expertise provided by folks in this forum.  I'm posting now to ask if there are any "new" things since early 2017 that we should be watching out for on this transit.  I do know, of course, that the new Atlantic Bridge, which was under construction during our first transit, has now been completed.  I'm just wondering if there are any other (and particularly less obvious) "developments" that we might see or should look out for.

Thanks as always for any advice and information!  

Having recently completed a Canal cruise you have mentioned the one really big stand out item, which would be the new Atlantic Bridge.  While the structure had been completed for awhile, the Bridge was not opened to traffic until this past August.  While we are speaking of bridges, there is on less bridge over the Canal... that would be the Miraflores Swing Bridge at the Pacific end of Miraflores Locks.  While the Swing Bridge was placed in a reserve status when the Bridge of Americas was opened in 1962, it was used occasionally over the years.  When the Centennial Bridge was complete any need for the Swing Bridge completely dried up.  Late in 2018 removal of the Bridge commenced and the remains of the spans were placed (I assume temporarily) at the base of the Bourinquen Dam which forms the Pacific Access Channel which links Culebra Cut with the new Cocoli Locks.  It is easily seen on the west side of the Canal between Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks for the time being.  The Miraflores Swing Bridge was completed in 1942 and was to be used in the construction of the original third locks project which was started in 1939.

Another change rather on the subtle side is the tall white lighthouse on the west side wall of Gatun Locks is no longer white.  Since it has been retired as an aide to navigation, it is painted black to indicate is no longer a navigational aide.  Modern PEL lights (port entry lights) have taken its place.

A serious issue that the Canal is facing this year that may or may not be pointed out is the low level of Gatun Lake for the time of year.  While there has been enough rain to have all the foliage pleasantly green, there has been a shortage of rainfall over the Canal's watershed.   Gatun Lake levels are close to 5' off seasonal norms.  While 5' doesn't seem like an enormous figure, it is rather significant as the Canal is on the eve of the Dry Season and to start the Dry Season with anything less than full is a cause for concern.  While they are able to maintain a maximum draft of 39.5' for the original locks presently, the max draft for the new locks is 50' and to date they have only been able to maintain a draft of 46'.

One last thing that maybe you will notice... transits tend to run a little longer than a "normal" transit would take prior to the opening of the new locks.  The mix of the larger ships (neoPanamax) combined with precautions taken because of their cargo, LNG primarily, have resulted in slightly slower transits as a rule for the regular Panamax ships.

While none of what I have mentioned are "major" in any manner, just they were things I noticed... maybe I look too closely!  It is all still great to take in.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BillB48 said:

One last thing that maybe you will notice... transits tend to run a little longer than a "normal" transit would take prior to the opening of the new locks.  The mix of the larger ships (neoPanamax) combined with precautions taken because of their cargo, LNG primarily, have resulted in slightly slower transits as a rule for the regular Panamax ships.

Bill, thanks for all the great and detailed info, as usual!   As for the length of the transit, the new locks were open when we first went through in early 2017 (in the original locks).  We started on the Atlantic side really early in the morning, and it was dark long before we reached the Pacific side.  I'd been under the impression that the transit did not take that long, so perhaps I have already experienced that "slower transit."  😮

4 hours ago, BillB48 said:

While they are able to maintain a maximum draft of 39.5' for the original locks presently, the max draft for the new locks is 50' and to date they have only been able to maintain a draft of 46'.

Regarding the water level and max draft issue for the new locks --  apologies for being dense on this, but what does this mean right now for the ships that need to use the new locks?  Are any unable to? 

Edited by Turtles06

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Bill, thanks for all the great and detailed info, as usual!   As for the length of the transit, the new locks were open when we first went through in early 2017 (in the original locks).  We started on the Atlantic side really early in the morning, and it was dark long before we reached the Pacific side.  I'd been under the impression that the transit did not take that long, so perhaps I have already experienced that "slower transit."  😮

Regarding the water level and max draft issue for the new locks --  apologies for being dense on this, but what does this mean right now for the ships that need to use the new locks?  Are any unable to? 

When they opened the new locks in 2016, the amount of the larger neoPanamax ships using the Canal daily was a fairly low number... anywhere from just 2 to 4 of them a day.  The Canal authority was planning on eventually bringing the total transits per day at the new locks to around 12 per day.  They are regularly transiting 10 per day presently.  Another layer of complexity is the Canal is accepting LNG tankers at the new locks, which have been added since the new locks opened.  These ships require special handling throughout the entire transit.  Some of special handling includes, certain areas where the ships are permitted to pass in opposite directions,  when they do pass in opposite directions, their combined speed can not be greater than 12 knots and there is increased spacing for following ships.  What all this comes down to is the old rule of thumb that a transit would take about 8 to 10 hours has quietly moved closer to 10 to 12 hours.

The water levels of Gatun Lake is the key to what  the draft limit is for ships using the Canal.  When Gatun Lake is over 86', the draft limit of the neoPanamax ships can be raised to a 50' draft limit.  Right now Gatun Lake is just under 83' so the maximum draft for the neoPanamax ships is restricted to 46'.  While that won't affect every ship that transits the new locks, it will affect a few of the heavily laden vessels.  The Canal provides notice several weeks out if they are going to lower the draft limit, so shippers can load their vessels to accordingly.  Of course when a shipper has a deep draft vessel they want it as loaded as possible to get the biggest bang for the buck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 6:14 AM, BillB48 said:

When they opened the new locks in 2016, the amount of the larger neoPanamax ships using the Canal daily was a fairly low number... anywhere from just 2 to 4 of them a day.  The Canal authority was planning on eventually bringing the total transits per day at the new locks to around 12 per day.  They are regularly transiting 10 per day presently.  Another layer of complexity is the Canal is accepting LNG tankers at the new locks, which have been added since the new locks opened.  These ships require special handling throughout the entire transit.  Some of special handling includes, certain areas where the ships are permitted to pass in opposite directions,  when they do pass in opposite directions, their combined speed can not be greater than 12 knots and there is increased spacing for following ships.  What all this comes down to is the old rule of thumb that a transit would take about 8 to 10 hours has quietly moved closer to 10 to 12 hours.

The water levels of Gatun Lake is the key to what  the draft limit is for ships using the Canal.  When Gatun Lake is over 86', the draft limit of the neoPanamax ships can be raised to a 50' draft limit.  Right now Gatun Lake is just under 83' so the maximum draft for the neoPanamax ships is restricted to 46'.  While that won't affect every ship that transits the new locks, it will affect a few of the heavily laden vessels.  The Canal provides notice several weeks out if they are going to lower the draft limit, so shippers can load their vessels to accordingly.  Of course when a shipper has a deep draft vessel they want it as loaded as possible to get the biggest bang for the buck

That Is interesting!   We are full-transitting first time Jan 14.  It will definitely be small locks but watching all the activity will be exciting.

Turtles:  Since you're doing a full transit again, I'm assuming that you like this itinerary not only for the Canal aspect of it, but for the Central America and Mexico port stops as well?   Would you be good enough to post some of the excursions you enjoyed at those other places —  or is it really just about the Canal itself and being on the ship?   

Thank you.

9 hours ago, poss said:

Turtles:  Since you're doing a full transit again, I'm assuming that you like this itinerary not only for the Canal aspect of it, but for the Central America and Mexico port stops as well?   Would you be good enough to post some of the excursions you enjoyed at those other places —  or is it really just about the Canal itself and being on the ship?   

Thank you.

We are going on this particular cruise for a mix of reasons.  The Canal is fascinating, and obviously I'm very much looking forward to another full transit.   But another draw for us about this (second) Canal cruise is that, at 20 nights, it's a bit longer than the usual full transit, and we really enjoy cruising (not to mention that we'll get to spend weeks of the winter in warmer climes).  Also, another big plus is that it starts in NY and ends in San Francisco.  (The ship then turns around and does the trip back to NY.  Some folks are doing the B2B!)  Many if not most full transits go from south Florida to southern California, or the reverse.   So there was the draw here for us of this special itinerary and the post-cruise time in San Francisco. 

We did enjoy nearly all of the ports on our prior Canal cruise, and I posted a detailed review, with photos, of that cruise at the link below.  I discussed what we did in each of our ports and what shore excursions we took.  (We were surprised to have enjoyed the ports in Mexico as much as we did, except for Puerto Chiapas, which I think could easily be skipped.)  So on that cruise, I would say that while the Canal was the star, we did have a really good mix of ports (some of which we'll be returning to on our upcoming cruise).

Thanks so much for responding to my query, Turtles06, and especially for your very fine, comprehensive report.   I can't imagine that we'll love these ports the way we so love virtually every European (northern and southern) port we've been to, but should be interesting nonetheless.     Wishing that the 18-day itinerary (on wonderful Regent Mariner) weren't in May, but that's the way things worked out for us.    Will take us from Miami into San Francisco, so that my husband can celebrate his 90th birthday with family out there.

Wishing you many more dandy voyages.