Who carries their laptop with them on a Cruise??

wercruzin

and why?? Just curious?

Me for tunes and camera unload. Also used the DVD player in it to pacify a 3 and 4 yr old in Houston on our last cruise!! We wound up with about 5 little heads crowded around the little monitor before we boarded the plane.

:)

There is a LONG thread floating around here somewhere, with a poll and reasons...

I carry mine... simple, I own a business and generally when we cruise, the company comes with us ;) So we always have a way to stay connected with our customers... no other reason in the world would ever compel me to bring it. If it were not for the business, I would leave it at home.

We are taking ours. The Valor has wireless internet so we'll be able to send friends/family some updates and pictures from the ship.

Also to store pictures from our memory cards, change our iPod songs, check my bank account since we use our debit card on our S&S. (-;

Ditto the above. As a one-man show, my business is pretty much closed while I am on vacation, but I do need to check email and reply. Plus keep in touch with kids and relatives. With the wireless access, this is pretty easy with the laptop.

I do not plan to work on vacation - I mean, what am I even working for if I can't get away for a week every now and then?

If I were an employee, I would not even *think* about checking my business email while on vacation - dropping completely off the face of the earth is one of the few advantages of being an employee.

There is a LONG thread floating around here somewhere, with a poll and reasons...

I carry mine... simple, I own a business and generally when we cruise, the company comes with us ;) So we always have a way to stay connected with our customers... no other reason in the world would ever compel me to bring it. If it were not for the business, I would leave it at home.

That would be a reason NOT to bring it.

Nah, it's really not that bad... I've taken it on 4 cruises, check in with the office a few times... our customers are pretty good and won't bother us unless they have an emergency, downed servers, etc. We liked the Valor because we could sit by the pool and check in :D It's a very very small sacrifice... I think our total internet usually runs under $100, so we obviously don't spend too much time on it!! :D

We usually bring ours..not for work (we don't have one of those 'job things')

but for pic downloads..also we usually tie a cruise into another week of land vacation before or after and it's nice to have along for checking emails etc...

I always take mine to watch movies on the plane/in the car (not while I'm driving :eek: ), listen to music in the stateroom and to organize my pictures from my digital camera. On the Valor, I did use the wireless internet but did not on the Victory because I didn't feel like lugging it down to the internet cafe. Oh well, just another $50 or so that I saved :p

I bring mine so we can download pix. Then, we send the best to our friends who are not with us so that we can laugh at them missing out on a great time. :)

I refuse to email my office, and they know I am off-limits while on vacation. Used to work with a company that had a policy that if they called you while on vacation, you got an extra week off. Sweet!

Mark T

We'll bring ours this time because we own a manufacturing business and we can't afford for the guys who are building in the back to just sit around if they have questions that can't be answered by our production mgr. . My dd is thrilled, because now she can bring her ipod. i also like to download pics and send them while still cruising.

My boyfriend and I take the laptop for the exact same reasons :) We need to be able to download our pictures off the digital camera and also to listen to music in the room. This time it'll serve well in order to recharge my iPod - I didn't have it yet last year :) I'm not sure how much I'll actually listen to it beyond the work out room...I love just enjoying the sun, his company, and the company of our friends - they're so much fun!

the laptap is the best in airports. especially when you have to wait for hours and have delays or layovers its nice to have your own dvds and game, and wiping my camera's memory by downloading to the comp is always a plus. Haven't tried it for music, but that sounds even better!

Easy for you to say. We both work "normal" jobs and own a micro brewery on the side. DH travels during the week for an internet company out of California (he's a public speaker) so he can shut that off for a week with no problem. I'm a nurse and have NO problem shutting that off either. BUT, the brewery needs to be checked in on every other day or so via email. All it takes is minutes to check and minutes to respond (if anything needs to be responded to). It's more relaxing for us to have those couple minutes to check in to make sure our brewer and other employees are doing ok. We aren't the type of people to leave them hanging for a week.

Believe me, the cruise is still the ultimate relaxation vacation for us.

i do. most of the above + checkin for southwest or other cattle flights + change travel arrangements, shore excursions, whatever. Next time I'll burn DVDs instead of CDs. Sometimes an "Almost live..." thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269752

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=252487

I can't go without mine...need to keep the ipod charged, manage the days digital pics, and we use our debit card...althought I hope not to have to transfer any additional funds to it.

16 days and we're under weigh.

Archived