Athens, Greece pre-cruise hotel

hideout

We stayed at the Radisson in Athens ... chosen because it was near to the Archeological Museum and it was offering a free breakfast. 300 Euro for two nights b&b.

We arrived at 6pm to be told they had cancelled the reservation
They claimed they had tried to debit the credit card a few day before but there had been a problem so rather than query it they cancelled the booking! They did not say why they had tried as we were still a couple of days into the “cancellation allowed” period.

It was sorted in the end but we were NOT happy!

We used pre-booked Prestige Limo for the airport to hotel and hotel to Piraeus. 90 Euro and 50 Euro respectively. Not cheap but excellent service.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hideout said:

Cruising out of Athens Greece on MSC and need affordable (under $200) hotel one night pre-cruise, and advice on how to get to port and return port to airport. Advice appreciated

You can almost never go wrong with an Intercontinental hotel. And the Intercontinental Athenaeum is excellent - location, accommodations, service....

Price depends on when you're gone by and what else may be happening in the city at that time. But, we've often seen the price just below $200/night for a standard Queen room.

As for transfers, I recommend contacting a private tour company that will give you a customized package price for

1) port pickup and half to full day local tour (with licensed guide as well as driver) before dropping you off at your hotel

2) tour(s) near and/or far in any other days

3) hotel to airport transfer on final day.

This is not as expensive as you may think- especially if you disaggregate the "combo" deal and do the elements "a la carte."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 10:49 AM, hideout said:

Cruising out of Athens Greece on MSC and need affordable (under $200) hotel one night pre-cruise, and advice on how to get to port and return port to airport. Advice appreciated

Pre-cruise, We stayed at the Hotel Hera and recommend it. The Rick Steves tours all stay here. Great location within a short walking distance to the Acropolis entrances and to the Plaka. We booked a transfer with Welcome Pickups to take us from the hotel to the port dock. We also booked Welcome pickups to pick us up at the Athens airport to take us to the hotel. We'd use them again.

After the cruise, we booked a private tour/transfer service with Michael's Tours to pick us with our luggage from the ship around 830 am.  We did a day trip to Corinth before the service dropped us off at the Athens airport - Sofitel hotel around 4 pm (we had a very early flight the next day). Well worth the expenses.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We have stayed at the Sofitel after an evening flight in and an early flight to the islands in the morning.  It is a very nice hotel with decent hotel food.  The best part is that you just have to walk across the street from the terminal to get there.  

If you have a full day in Athens after the cruise, I would suggest staying at a hotel in Athens so you can enjoy the city, tour on your own, have dinner in the Plaka and enjoy the the views of the Acropolis at night.  Yes, do arrange for a driver to pick you up in the morning for your flight.  (It is a 30 minute ride.)

Your proposed alternative is to have a 1/2 day tour in the morning and then spend the afternoon and evening at the Sofitel with great views of parking lots and runways. The same $300 could cover a night at a hotel in Athens and the car in the morning.  

If you have been to Athens before, you could stick to the Sofitel plan, but do a full day tour to say, Corinth and Mycenae and then get dropped off at the Sofitel at dinner time.  Anything but an afternoon and evening sitting by the airport! 

Edited by marazul

On 1/3/2020 at 9:29 AM, marazul said:

If you have a full day in Athens after the cruise, I would suggest staying at a hotel in Athens so you can enjoy the city, tour on your own, have dinner in the Plaka and enjoy the the views of the Acropolis at night.  Yes, do arrange for a driver to pick you up in the morning for your flight.  (It is a 30 minute ride.)

Your proposed alternative is to have a 1/2 day tour in the morning and then spend the afternoon and evening at the Sofitel with great views of parking lots and runways. The same $300 could cover a night at a hotel in Athens and the car in the morning.  

If you have been to Athens before, you could stick to the Sofitel plan, but do a full day tour to say, Corinth and Mycenae and then get dropped off at the Sofitel at dinner time.  Anything but an afternoon and evening sitting by the airport! 

I agree with this so much!!!  Stay in Athens; it is a different city in the evening and very enjoyable. Getting to the airport is easy in the early a.m.

• 2 weeks later...

We are staying at the Athens Gate pre cruise. We chose this hotel after checking many hotel reviews and we felt this one suited us best. Rate includes breakfast and you are within 100 meters of the New Acropolis Museum and short walking distance to the Acropolis. 

Edited by njcruiser27

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are booked in the Hilton Athens for a pre cruise night July 2021. Any suggestions on transportation from airport to Hotel? We arrive early am so we will need to store luggage until check in.  

13 hours ago, ltcTN said:

We are booked in the Hilton Athens for a pre cruise night July 2021. Any suggestions on transportation from airport to Hotel? We arrive early am so we will need to store luggage until check in.  

Taxis are lined up at the airport, right outside when you walk out. There are fixed rates into central Athens.

The hotel will store your luggage until your room is ready. 

On 4/25/2021 at 6:33 PM, ltcTN said:

On another forum I was looking at the other day people were saying they did not recommend the Hilton Athens.  Don't remember why.  Will have to try to find it again.

Stan

4 minutes ago, travelingman said:

On another forum I was looking at the other day people were saying they did not recommend the Hilton Athens.  Don't remember why.  Will have to try to find it again.

Stan

Found it.  Actually in the post right below this one.

" I will also say there is one very good reason to NOT to  book the Athens Hilton.  To be very blunt, the location of the Hilton SUCKS!  It is just a bit too far from everything.  I think its best attribute is the huge swimming pool...but otherwise it is a hotel to which we hope to never return."

But if you are happy with the price and location - go for it.

Well, the azamara cruise was cancelled today so we booked the Celebrity Apex, flight arrives the day of the cruise but now we will have 3 nights post cruise to stay before our flight home. Open for suggestions for 3 nights!

48 minutes ago, ltcTN said:

Well, the azamara cruise was cancelled today so we booked the Celebrity Apex, flight arrives the day of the cruise but now we will have 3 nights post cruise to stay before our flight home. Open for suggestions for 3 nights!

As recommended above, I also like Athens Gate. Terrific location, very modern and clean, great breakfasts. Walk to the Acropolis sites and museum and less than half a block away is a metro station to take you anywhere else. Also convenient for taxi pick-up to port or arrival from port.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As recommended above, I also like Athens Gate. Terrific location, very modern and clean, great breakfasts. Walk to the Acropolis sites and museum and less than half a block away is a metro station to take you anywhere else. Also convenient for taxi pick-up to port or arrival from port.

Hi Cynthia, I am going to go with your recommendation🙂...I posted on the other thread for you too. I was going to go through the cruise line but from what I gather, The Intercontinental is not very centrally located. 

30 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia, I am going to go with your recommendation🙂...I posted on the other thread for you too. I was going to go through the cruise line but from what I gather, The Intercontinental is not very centrally located. 

Lois, I think it would be a good choice. I have stayed there 3 times, twice on my own and once with a friend who was traveling with me. I found the staff extremely friendly and accommodating, happy to arrange a taxi to the port for you, give suggestions for restaurants, etc.  The rooms are modern and very clean. There are views in both directions -- you may want to splurge for a view of the Acropolis, but there is also a nice rooftop deck (indoor/outdoor) where breakfast is served and cocktails/light dinner in the evenings.

You can walk EASILY to the Acropolis museum, only about 1-2 blocks away, and across the street from that is the "easier" path to walk up to the Acropolis.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Lois, I think it would be a good choice. I have stayed there 3 times, twice on my own and once with a friend who was traveling with me. I found the staff extremely friendly and accommodating, happy to arrange a taxi to the port for you, give suggestions for restaurants, etc.  The rooms are modern and very clean. There are views in both directions -- you may want to splurge for a view of the Acropolis, but there is also a nice rooftop deck (indoor/outdoor) where breakfast is served and cocktails/light dinner in the evenings.

You can walk EASILY to the Acropolis museum, only about 1-2 blocks away, and across the street from that is the "easier" path to walk up to the Acropolis.

Thanks so much🙂

Cynthia, after going back and forth and forth and back......I decided to just stay at the Intercontinental and the cruise line will take care of it and they will also take care of all my transportation.  I am looking at private tours and a few can pick me up at the hotel too🙂 I am good with my decision.  

Oh, thanks for your help, as always!

We are booked on the Epic Aug. 1-8 (tentatively; final isn't due for a month)

I can get 2 nights free at the Intercontinental or the Crowne Plaza.

The Intercontinental is typically a better hotel, but am more concerned about location. 

They aren't too far apart so perhaps I'm over thinking this...

16 minutes ago, KKB said:

We are booked on the Epic Aug. 1-8 (tentatively; final isn't due for a month)

I can get 2 nights free at the Intercontinental or the Crowne Plaza.

The Intercontinental is typically a better hotel, but am more concerned about location. 

They aren't too far apart so perhaps I'm over thinking this...

I will be back home a few weeks before you leave.....I am staying at the Intercontinental. I can let you know how it is after I get back🙂

I've been to Athens several times and my favorite hotel is Attalos. Very inexpensive (double room with balcony and breakfast is $125), great location, wonderful staff, newly remodeled, and a beautiful rooftop bar to watch the Acropolis light up at night.

• Like 1