Jacques restaurant

roger b

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Clo;

the Chilean sea bass and the duck watermelon salad are both excellent. You can enjoy both at one meal. 

We found the sauce for the Chilean sea bass to be cloying. It ruined what was otherwise a good piece of fish. 

In general we don't care for "Asian Fusion" food. We were born and raised in NY City and when we were attending graduate school on Long Island in the late 60's and early 70"s we would travel back to Manhattan frequently on weekends just to try the various Chinese restaurants that had just introduced Szechuan and Hunan cooking. As "poor but honest" graduate students just getting by on our fellowship grants it was a strain on our budget to eat at Uncle Tai's Hunan Yuan, which was considered the best restaurant of it's type at the time, but to us it was worth every penny...and probably why we loathe Asian Fusion cooking . To us Red Ginger is the worst restaurant on Oceania.

Edited by njhorseman

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

We found the sauce for the Chilean sea bass to be cloying. It ruined what was otherwise a good piece of fish. 

In general we don't care for "Asian Fusion" food. We were born and raised in NY City and when we were attending graduate school on Long Island in the late 60's and early 70"s we would travel back to Manhattan frequently on weekends just to try the various Chinese restaurants that had just introduced Szechuan and Hunan cooking. As "poor but honest" graduate students just getting by on our fellowship grants it was a strain on our budget to eat at Uncle Tai's Hunan Yuan, which was considered the best restaurant of it's type at the time, but to us it was worth every penny...and probably why we loathe Asian Fusion cooking . To us Red Ginger is the worst restaurant on Oceania.

While "I ❤️New York," it's Asian restaurants (in general) pale in comparison to what's available in the cosmopolitan areas of both NorCsl and SoCal. 

Can I get a better meal here (in SF) than on any cruise ship? Of course I can. But, as Asian restaurants on cruise ships go, it's hard to beat Red Ginger.

And for the umpteenth time: if you seek a "traditional" dish (not on the Red Ginger menu), ask ahead of time and supply the details of your preferences. You might be pleasantly surprised.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the Flyer. I often write that the best meal I have on a cruise is rarely on the ship. Frozen fish can rarely compete with local just caught fresh fish from a good kitchen. However, for ship food, I believe RG does a good job with reasonable dishes. 

52 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

In general we don't care for "Asian Fusion" food.

I think I'd say I'm the same.  And while in no way do I dislike Thai food it is probably the one of the last Asian cuisines that I choose. We regularly drive by a really good Thai place to a Shanghainese place that more floats our boat. We all have our preferences. And if I had to make a bet "Asian fusion" may appeal more to the average person.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While "I ❤️New York," it's Asian restaurants (in general) pale in comparison to what's available in the cosmopolitan areas of both NorCsl and SoCal. 

Can I get a better meal here (in SF) than on any cruise ship? Of course I can. But, as Asian restaurants on cruise ships go, it's hard to beat Red Ginger.

And for the umpteenth time: if you seek a "traditional" dish (not on the Red Ginger menu), ask ahead of time and supply the details of your preferences. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I can't speak to all types of Asian food, but I think much of the Chinese food in NY is not nearly as good as it was 40-50 years ago. I can't comment on the food in California...I am almost never there these days.

54 minutes ago, clo said:

The sky's the limit but this is regarded as the best dim sum in CA.

https://foodtalkcentral.com/t/dragon-beaux/3953

Dragon Beaux is pretty good but not the best Dim Sum - not even in SF, IMO.

That honor goes to Yank Sing:

https://www.yanksing.com

I am surprised that the pictures from Dragon do not show their signature dish - baked Char Shiu Bow - an imitation of the same from the only Michelin Star take out restaurant Tim Ho Wan. http://www.timhowan.hk

That said, I am sure we all have our favorite best Dim Sum place 😀

Edited by Paulchili

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Dragon Beaux is pretty good but not the best Dim Sum - not even in SF, IMO.

That honor goes to Yank Sing:

https://www.yanksing.com

I am surprised that the pictures from Dragon do not show their signature dish - baked Char Shiu Bow - an imitation of the same from the only Michelin Star take out restaurant Tim Ho Wan. http://www.timhowan.hk

You hopefully know that I respect your opinion 🙂 And that's what restaurant opinions are. I resisted DB for a few years because I'd always 'felt' that dim sum for two should be under $20 🙂 But having had it I was sold. And char sui bao, steamed or baked, is my least favorite of them all. We should do dim sum some time.

We should - although I do not do fung zaau 😀

Next time you are at the Dragon try their baked char shiu bao - it’s very different.

Unfortunately, the days of Dim Sum for 2 under $20 are long gone (unless you have just a few dishes which I do not do).

But we digress...

Edited by Paulchili