Live Trip Report Pre Egypt Post Ms Antares

PatriciaF

Sitting in the family room awaiting our car service to LAX for our flight to Tel Aviv.  We are arriving two days early and staying across the street from the Hotel King David at the YMCA Three Arches Hotel--then moving across the street Thanksgiving Day.

If you have questions you would like answered, please let me know so I can make sure I get the info for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Yum Ka Hotel as our driver from the airport called it is an interesting place.  Built in 1933 designed by the same architect as the Empire State Building has interesting architecture, good breakfast buffet, with cooked to order eggs and omelets.  We are doing an independent tour to Masada and the Dead Sea tomorrow.  Checking into the King David tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatriciaF said:

The Yum Ka Hotel as our driver from the airport called it is an interesting place.  Built in 1933 designed by the same architect as the Empire State Building has interesting architecture, good breakfast buffet, with cooked to order eggs and omelets.  We are doing an independent tour to Masada and the Dead Sea tomorrow.  Checking into the King David tomorrow.

It’s actually referred to as Yimka, rather than Yum Ka. 

Enjoy your trip. I am currently in Tel Aviv. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PatriciaF said:

@gnome12 thanks for the clarification.  

Are you going on this cruise too?

No, just happen to be in Israel at the moment, and have studied in Jerusalem  (albeit many years ago).

Will be following your posts. We leave for Egypt in just over 6 weeks - (not with Viking, however....) spending time in Israel and Jordan after.   We have 3 nights at the Dead Sea - and have a private tour booked to Masada - so am interested in your thoughts after your visit.

Fran

Edited by franski

joined our VIKING group on Thursday.  Attached is the itinerary.  There are two long busy days with a half day free on the last full day.  Note on the second day, the Viking material says two to 3 miles of walking.  People in our group that had step trackers measured closer to 5 miles, lots of steps, and irregular surfaces.  Be prepared.  Our guide was excellent very knowledgeable and passionate about Israel and its history.

3FEFF4E1-9F8F-4D87-911B-93F336FC4EF4.jpeg

• Like 1

Up at 530 am for our flight to Cairo.  Luggage out by 615 am.  Dining room open for breakfast at 615 for us.  On the bus a little after 7.  Through security,  luggage drop, immigration and at the shopping area by 920.  Boarding at 1040, late take off.  But through airport and in our room by 230.  Below are pictures of our view, the room, and the Viking Daily for today and tomorrow. 

20191202_143317.jpg

20191202_143241.jpg

20191202_143249.jpg

20191202_143338.jpg

20191202_143336.jpg

20191202_143354.jpg

20191202_143358.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Little Rascal said:

Looks wonderful!  Thanks for sharing with us. Did you buy your visa prior to arrival or did you buy it at the airport?  

We used the official Egypt Visa site for our visa.

Everyone in our group had their visa before arrival..10 Americans and 2 Australians

Two very busy days...unbelievable sights.  Wear closed toed shoes for the day at the pyramids..lots of walking, sand (not white beach sand, but large brown sand), and lots of people.

Below are the Viking Daily for the second full day in Cairo and departure day.

16B08BD5-7829-44D7-9D95-2770DF76746B.jpeg

8B98619B-427A-43C1-B6FF-1D0170B2DD71.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you Patricia.  Were you on the pre trip?  I noticed only one dinner was included.  Did you find any memorable restaurants?  So, tennis shoes or hiking type shoe for the Pyramids?  I really appreciate you providing these tips and the daily schedule.

4 hours ago, Little Rascal said:

Thank you Patricia.  Were you on the pre trip?  I noticed only one dinner was included.  Did you find any memorable restaurants?  So, tennis shoes or hiking type shoe for the Pyramids?  I really appreciate you providing these tips and the daily schedule.

Post #13 has the schedule for Jerusalem.  We came in 2 days early.  We ate at one local restaurant that specialized in soup in a walking area of mostly restaurants by Jaffe Rd, a cafe in Mamilla Mall, and the cafe at the King David.  

Here is a list off a Youtube channel run by Kara and Nate.  They posted a video of the best street food in Jerusalem about five days ago. They had three videos of Jerusalem that were very interesting.  It seems most of these were in a market called the Mahane Yehuda Market aka the Shuk.  I don't know how far that is from the King David but the places they stopped looked great.

"Are you seriously not going to tell people where you went?? Fine. I'll tell so that if any of your viewers ever go to Jerusalem, they can try these places out...

1. Arafat Hummus: Hazorfim Market Street, 53 Old City (NEVER Old Town), Jerusalem (hole in the wall joint with no sign - best accessed via Jaffa Gate but it is listed in Google Maps - also highly recommend Hummus Abu Ahmed on the Via Dolorosa between the 5th and 6th station of the Cross)

2. Jaffar Sweets (with the Knaffeh) : Al Zeit St., Old City of Jerusalem - enter through Damascus Gate and ask literally anybody. It's like an easy 3 minute walk

3. Falafel Guy: He's on Al Wad Street between Damascus Gate and the Muslim Quarter Entrance to the Wailing Wall. If you are coming from Damascus Gate, he'll be on your left maybe 3 minutes after you pass the 5th station of the Cross. I don't think his falafel is THAT awesome btw.

At this point, they left the Old City and said that they were headed to East Jerusalem. They weren't. They headed to West Jerusalem.

4. Steakiyat Chatzot: They got Jerusalem Mixed Grill here (Me'orav Yerushalmi) at 123 Agripas st. near the Mahane Yehuda Market aka the Shuk. This restaurant claims to have invented this dish. She made it seem gross but it is beloved in these parts. Don't get a plate - get an overstuffed pita sandwich like the locals do. At all hours.

5. Aricha Sabich: Agripas St 83, Jerusalem - seriously the best Sabich in the country. Its an eggplant and egg pita sandwich with Hummus, Amba sauce and salad. Its great! Also? The eggplant is fried, not grilled.

6. Marzipan Bakery: 44 Agripas By the Mahane Yehuda Market across the street from Mahane Yehuda Market - the chocolate ruggelach was listed by Saveur Magazine as one of the 100 best foods in the world. Carbohydrate crack. Enjoy!

7. Uzi Eli Medecine Man: Inside Mahane Yehuda - ask anyone - a shuk classic and the most unique place there. All kinds of juices but do try the Gat infused juices. Its what the old people drink to stay spry and energized. Try to go there when Uzi Eli is there. Dude's a character and a half.

8. Soramelo ("Best Ice Coffee" place) i it's inside the shuk by the Agripas street entrance to the covered part of Mahane Yehuda. They have pretty good waffles. Relatively new and pretty popular at night. Not particularly local or unique but its ok with a hipster vibe.

9. Jahnun Bar: Also in Mahane Yehuda Market - enter through Agripas street entrance to covered Shuk. Make your first left and again your first left and there it is! Very yummy Yemenit classic - called Jahnun Bar but they sell mostly "Malawach." Goes good with drunkeness!

10. Bourekas Ramle: 44 Agripas (everything on this block is 44 Agripas btw) - just down the street from Marzipan on the corner. It's originally Turkish. This is a good place to buy this very common street food because turnover is high and the Bourekas are always fresh and hot. My fave is cheese!

11. Beer Bazaar: On the other end of the street from where Soramelo is at - closer to Jaffa Rd. and the light rail train tracks. Here they specialize in very yummy American street food cuisine and they have a huge and often weird selection of Israeli micro breweries. In conclusion - there are many more restaurants in the Old City (Hello? Austrian Hospice!) and Mahane Yehuda / The Shuk (Hello? Rachmo!). Try them all! That having been said - this is a good start and I am super impressed that Kara and Nate were able to put all that away. Seriously. How did you eat all that? I hope my unofficial addendum was helpful"

Now in Luxor on the Antares

Beautiful, clean, ship.  While I do prefer the Scandinavian look, this ship is beautiful.  Our guide was do excited that that her favorite head chef was back on board.  We are in cabin 309.  See pictures. There is a minibar in the room and all beverages will be replenished every day 

20191205_125638.jpg

20191205_125622.jpg

20191205_125450.jpg

20191205_125504.jpg

20191205_125429.jpg

20191205_125446.jpg

20191205_125611.jpg

20191205_125617.jpg

20191205_125531.jpg

20191205_125543.jpg