EDGE EXPOSED: THE ART AND DESIGN TOUR...NOV 2019

hcat

Wow!

Many of us  have been captivated by the curated art collection on EDGE....all mediums.

We asked for a tour and X delivered.  A very nice experience...even for those who have been on EDGE before, and viewed many of the items on their own or during the all "Access Excursion"..!   

I actually started a sign up list for a self directed group tour on my roll call...but before we could lay out final plans this tour was   offered and of course dh and I signed on!

It was pricey at time of pre booking, The pricing was a bit confusing on the Cruise Planner so we booked for " double occupancy",   Turns out we got 1 fare fully  refunded..that was a plus.

TOUR DESCRIPTION:

"Exclusive tour highlighting the ship's groundbreaking collection of art and design.

See every detail of the most transformative sculptural installations and immetsive spaces at sea-includuding the  Prism LED light installation....the Chandelier light show....Eden's three deck living walls, the Art Gallery  and Museum....."

Tour was led by Jeannie ??  who was an excellent guide. We had ear microphones,,..moved quickly and involved some stairs and elev travel ( filled 2 cars).  We may be the first or one of the first groups to take this tour,  it is brand new..

It would be great  if someone could post a link to the Black Cover EDGE Art Book and some of the early threads about EDGE Art...for later enjoyment.  We actually recived a huge hard cover limited edition  book at the end of our Tour...Amazing!

Edited by hcat

Grand Plaza area....they did not do the light show on the tour but we saw it in action one night   

Large Acrylic Sculpture at Martini Bar...resembles a block of ice

Shell like designed panels   allegedly help with acoustics but a is loud

Love that Baby Grand

All for now...much more to come!

20191122_110644.jpg

20191122_110800.jpg

20191122_110920.jpg

20191122_110702.jpg

Thanks for sharing your art on the Edge experience. I wish they’d had something like this for my TA on Edge. As you know, DH and I spent many hours exploring Edge on our own, but we would have enjoyed a cohesive, engaging tour. Can’t wait for the rest of your art tour review😊

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Looking forward to this! Very curious why solo cruisers are charged an extra $10 over the price that apparently is charged for 2 - even by cruiseline standards where solos are generally paying double what the per person cost is for a couple it seems ridiculous.

The pricing online was odd...but we ended up paying for one ticket..and received just one of the Special Art books.  (Not sure if the extra OBC in our acct will go back on the credit card!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks for sharing your art on the Edge experience. I wish they’d had something like this for my TA on Edge. As you know, DH and I spent many hours exploring Edge on our own, but we would have enjoyed a cohesive, engaging tour. Can’t wait for the rest of your art tour review😊

Most of us who explored on our own previously were familiar with the art on the tour...but  sime  were new...The Guide on our tour had  extra info and tidbits.  It was successful so I believe they will continue it and make refinements..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, hcat said:

The pricing online was odd...but we ended up paying for one ticket..and received just one of the Special Art books.  (Not sure if the extra OBC in our acct will go back on the credit card!)

Sounds like it. Especially if a couple is only charged $129 but a solo is $139. I may just have to “museum it” and wander myself - especially if I would be paying double plus $10 of what 1/2 of a couple does.

15 hours ago, hcat said:

Wow!

Many of us  have been captivated by the curated art collection on EDGE....all mediums.

We asked for a tour and X delivered.  A very nice experience...even for those who have been on EDGE before, and viewed many of the items on their own or during the all "Access Excursion"..!   

I actually started a sign up list for a self directed group tour on my roll call...but before we could lay out final plans this tour was   offered and of course dh and I signed on!

It was pricey at time of pre booking, The pricing was a bit confusing on the Cruise Planner so we booked for " double occupancy",   Turns out we got 1 fare fully  refunded..that was a plus.

Can't wait to hear more details about the tour. In my cruise planner, there is an option for double occupancy and single occupancy, and for both options I have to select number of people on tour, and then it charges me for two people. It is very confusing. Should I just select double occupancy and one person and show up with two so that I don't get charged double?? Wish their website wasn't so difficult to use.

2 hours ago, alishac said:

Can't wait to hear more details about the tour. In my cruise planner, there is an option for double occupancy and single occupancy, and for both options I have to select number of people on tour, and then it charges me for two people. It is very confusing. Should I just select double occupancy and one person and show up with two so that I don't get charged double?? Wish their website wasn't so difficult to use.

We booked the  dbl..but they  credited back something at the beginning of the tour..Whatever you book, the excursion dept is aware of the issue and will correct. Our tix said dbl  and they gave us 2 tix for dbl occupancy.  Our  excess OBC refund already hit our credit card!

The big issue seemed to be if we wanted 2 of the big Art Books or just 1....oh my..Can barely fit in the suitcases. It is heavy.  I want to take a peek but will do so when we go back home in Dec..It is nicely wrapped...and protected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Sounds like it. Especially if a couple is only charged $129 but a solo is $139. I may just have to “museum it” and wander myself - especially if I would be paying double plus $10 of what 1/2 of a couple does.

Up to you...we saw alot on our own in January and also on the All Access Tour...

Maybe when you board  you can check and see what he real price is,,,They were still offering it.day of the tour.  It.did not close out probably due to pricing and not everyone is into the art.

• Thanks 1

We passed through the Guest Rel area..I snapped the 1pic,.I liked it,  but it was not covered on the tour. 

We stopped in the Normandie dining room...lots of crystal and Lalique..very opulent decor. 

The first Normandie  pic is of a  fleur-dis-lis from a display of various Flameworked Glass, Kiva Ford, American. Also  Included a mini  Normandie ship, Buldog, scallop shell, Normandy  apple and a Rooster.

The  famous panels ( pic 3) were originally on the  SS Normandie.  This is "Man's Games and Pleasures" ( circa 1930's), Plaster, Jean Dunand, French. Very interesting history to these and they are now  on EDGE in a creative presentation.

20191122_111042.jpg

20191122_111542.jpg

20191122_111621.jpg

Edited by hcat

We saw the pierced head outside of Tuscan restaurant. It's my least favorite.

Called Appollo Rey (2018) polished bronze on Marble Hedi Xandt, German.

Then to my favorite and a popular item, just outside  the Cosmopolitan (?) Restaurant

CALLED Winged Glory (2018),  Mixed media..really amazing

Sophie Defrancesca, Canadian.

20191126_200022.jpg

20191122_112226.jpg

Edited by hcat

That's it for now.. 

Please share comments, info you have dug up in all these works.

I passed Art History..am not an expert but loved that the ship was an art and design feast! 

Next up..the Wooden People

48 minutes ago, hcat said:

Next was what we refer to as the Pendulum..sorry I did not catch all if the info but it is ine of the most fascinating items on EDGE.  Hope someone can help out with more details.

The Pendulum

One of the most meaningful installations on Celebrity Edge is simple in concept—but not in design.Designers Patrick Jouin and Sanjit Manku elegantly interpreted the concept of a pendulum to create a breathtaking masterwork in the Grand Plaza. Crafted to subtly echo the rhythm of the ocean outside, The Pendulum is sure to mesmerize as it reflects the movement of the ship.

A brass pendulum descending through the space takes centre stage in the atrium, contrasting against a canvas of white staircases. The installation reminds us of the wonder of ancient navigational tools that served seafarers for centuries before the advent of satellite navigation. It also acts as a reminder to guests that they are afloat, even when movement cannot be felt.