Carnival Gift Cards - AARP

Gamecock_Cruiser

Yea I would strongly advise anyone NOT to count on any gift cards working right now that you buy.  They are having MAJOR issues.  Got a couple cards for Uber and the link they sent me would not work.  

When I called them they said if the card didn't work I would have to call Uber, I explained that the it wasn't the "gift card wouldn't work" that the link they emailed me to get my gift card number wouldn't work!  Spent 3 phone calls over two days so far trying to get it resolved and the last call they finally advised they are aware of glitch in their system and are working hard to resolve it, but they do not know when it will be resolved.

I asked what do I need to do to get good valid gift cards, will my link work eventually.  They couldn't give me a good answer and basically said I will need to just keep calling back and checking.

I am glad I didn't "buy" my cards and it was points only, so I am not out any cash... unlike that $500 Carnival Gift card someone else up above mentioned.

Again, be very leery right now if you decide to get any gift cards.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Yea I would strongly advise anyone NOT to count on any gift cards working right now that you buy.  They are having MAJOR issues.  Got a couple cards for Uber and the link they sent me would not work.  

When I called them they said if the card didn't work I would have to call Uber, I explained that the it wasn't the "gift card wouldn't work" that the link they emailed me to get my gift card number wouldn't work!  Spent 3 phone calls over two days so far trying to get it resolved and the last call they finally advised they are aware of glitch in their system and are working hard to resolve it, but they do not know when it will be resolved.

I asked what do I need to do to get good valid gift cards, will my link work eventually.  They couldn't give me a good answer and basically said I will need to just keep calling back and checking.

I am glad I didn't "buy" my cards and it was points only, so I am not out any cash... unlike that $500 Carnival Gift card someone else up above mentioned.

Again, be very leery right now if you decide to get any gift cards.

Fortunately, I purchased the gift card with a cc so if it's not resolved in a week, I can just call my cc company and get the charge reversed.

6 hours ago, wemjam said:

I am copying & pasting the below information . . .

This does NOT pertain to the Carnival gift cards without a PIN

If you redeemed your points for a gift card, received an email with a link to retrieve the gift card but it isn't working, I have found and fixed the problem (I have also notified AARP).

Here is a copy of the email I sent.

SUBJECT:  How To Fix The E-Gift Card Issue

Currently, all point redemption gift cards appear to be broken due to an incorrect URL encoding in the email.

I was able to resolve the issue myself and wanted to share the solution with you in case it helps others.

When you click on the link in the email, you get to a website that says:

Your eGift Cannot be viewed at this time

Sorry, this card is not valid.  Please contact the retailer from which you purchased this gift card and reference error code EGIFT_IRE3_504

The problem is the email has an improperly encoded URL

Above is an example of what is being emailed out.  If you simply remove the cases of amp; from the URL, it works as expected (they were double encoded)

The above is a corrected example - of course the XXX would be whatever the customers correct values should be.

In other words, if you click in your browser's URL bar and manually remove all instances of amp; from the URL and refresh it, it should work (it did for both myself and my wife)
  • Like 1

I am not an AARP member and I received 25,000 points for my welcome bonus.

Also I can’t seem to navigate the new site. Can someone tell me how to find the Carnival gift cards for purchase on the AARP site? Can someone provide a link or instructions how to get to the gift card purchase area?

On 9/26/2019 at 12:23 PM, bury me at sea said:

26 thousand and change.  I don't remember the exact number.

First quiz I took no points were added.  I've taken a couple of more since and appropriate points were added.

Current balance 27,865.

I am an AARP member and purchased a lot of Carnival gift cards and quite a few dining gift cards for gifts.  That's all I know!

Curious how did you get all of those points? Quizes?

On 9/26/2019 at 12:01 PM, cloudninecat said:

The old points didn't transfer. I wish they did. I had a lot more then I do now. I think the reason some of us got so many points to start with is because we are AARP members. 

Being an AARP member didn't grant more welcome points. I'm a member and only got 3,000. I didn't even get the 1,000 points for my first login like most people have. This was being discussed on the other AARP thread that was created on Tuesday when the new program launched. Here's that thread in case anyone wants to check in out: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2698274-aarp-other-discount-gift-card-options/

I guess the amount of welcome points we got was supposed to be based on past activity in the old Rewards for Good, but it came to light that some who got 25,000 points weren't very active before. Others who were active only got the 3,000 points. I bought 8 Carnival cards in the last two months before Rewards for Good ended, but that didn't grant me any more welcome points. Even though it's looking like we don't need points to buy the Carnival cards, just need to be a member, it's still bothersome that there's such a large discrepancy in how many welcome points they issued, especially considering their criteria doesn't seem to be consistent between all users. It seems to be 3,000 or 25,000...that's a big difference.

For those of you just getting up to speed, with the new AARP Rewards, you now have to be an AARP member to buy the Carnival cards. It doesn't appear like we'll need points for them. They don't appear on the site right now because, as you've been reading, there's a problem with PIN's.

The old Rewards for Good website was operated by a third-party company called Deluxe Rewards. This new program is now ran by a different company, HelloWorld, Inc. That's why we're seeing such a drastic difference in design between the old and new sites. AARP does have a separate customer service dept. for their rewards program, but since the site itself and the handling of the gift cards is operated by a third-party company, you'll find that AARP's customer service for their rewards program is severely lacking. They often don't know much about what's going on. Which is why a couple of you mentioned having a difficult time getting help. I've had more than my fair share of dealings with their cust. service dept. While they are usually pleasant people to talk to, getting good help to problems and good answers to questions is difficult.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2019 at 12:23 PM, bury me at sea said:

26 thousand and change.  I don't remember the exact number.

First quiz I took no points were added.  I've taken a couple of more since and appropriate points were added.

Current balance 27,865.

I am an AARP member and purchased a lot of Carnival gift cards and quite a few dining gift cards for gifts.  That's all I know!

I think mine was around 25K, but I let my AARP membership expire recently.  As long and I can get the cards on Allstate I won't join them again as their agenda is a bit different from my convictions.

We have 3 threads going here about gift cards. One primarily related to the Allstate cards and this and another related to AARP primarily. I'm merging this with the earlier AARP thread. Any new threads about this program will be locked and linked to the merged thread.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, shoptom said:

Twice a day after logging into AARP, I go to rewards and click "get started."  Check mark the boxes and click continue:

Something went wrong. Please refresh your browser and try again.

Are you still having trouble logging on? When I go to https://www.aarp.org/rewards/, the "Get Started with AARP Rewards" button is the only thing that appears for a second or two, but then the page loads completely and there's a Login button in the upper right corner. You shouldn't have to check the boxes each time. Those are for anyone who's logging into the new program for the first time. If you're still having trouble, try clearing your browser's cookies & cache.

if you live near a Kroger store,you can purchase gift cards there and get the same %10 discount. They run 4x points promotion about 6-8 times a year.  $250 card will get you 1000 points,  which will get you $1 off each gallon of gas.  Saves you $25 on 25 gallons. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t see the carnival gift cards anymore.  Are they sold out or does anyone else see them available?  Seeing a lot of people are having issues with the new site.  I’d be afraid to buy anything from them till they get the bugs worked out but wonder why I don’t see carnival gift cards anymore. Just wonder if they took them down or they sold out or does anyone else see them?

8 hours ago, Brad1972 said:

I don’t see the carnival gift cards anymore.  Are they sold out or does anyone else see them available?  Seeing a lot of people are having issues with the new site.  I’d be afraid to buy anything from them till they get the bugs worked out but wonder why I don’t see carnival gift cards anymore. Just wonder if they took them down or they sold out or does anyone else see them?

Carnival cards are invalid, they come with no pin

6 days, 10+ Phone calls, multiple emails, still can't get anywhere with AARP or Carnival

Having to dispute this charge, which takes a month via paypal and my cruise leaves in less then a week 😞 

Please save yourself the trouble and DO NOT purchase them

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

I finally broke the seal and bought some cards with Allstate. A nice smooth experience. They almost always seem to have the cards in stock. Kind of like the way AARP used to be. My once back up way to buy cards is now my go to!

I had thought that when they were changing it to "AARP Rewards," they'd be sticking with Deluxe Rewards to better match "Allstate Rewards." I thought maybe they were cooperating with Deluxe Rewards to better streamline the process. Well I obviously thought wrong. They need to go back to Deluxe's system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 hour ago, GalCruzer said:

Anyone have a link for Allstate? I went on there but it seems I have to have a policy in order to purchase any gift cards.

I think the only way for non customers to join is to download their app to your phone and sign up via the app.

13 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I had thought that when they were changing it to "AARP Rewards," they'd be sticking with Deluxe Rewards to better match "Allstate Rewards." I thought maybe they were cooperating with Deluxe Rewards to better streamline the process. Well I obviously thought wrong. They need to go back to Deluxe's system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now we know why they changed the program............. their contract with deluxe rewards was up and they were underbid.