Internet Package, one device vs 4 device option

blackfly

Princess offers two unlimited internet options, one device for $9.99 a day and four devices for $14.99 a day.  Between my wife and I we have two phones and two iPads.  If we purchase the one device option can we switch which device has internet access.  We will use one at a time but would like to be able to access the internet using all four at various times.  

Peter

You can absolutely switch between devices. One device package means that only ONE device can be online at a time, no limit on how many devices can use it during the cruise. I have successfully switched between my phone, personal and work laptops.

I normally buy 2 unlimited packages - one for me and one for DS, so we can both be online at the same time.

6 minutes ago, FloaterBoat said:

We just got off the CB, and we bought the unlimited 4 device option, 1st day. was 25% off.  Spent $180.  Was perfect.  Could use up to 4 gadgets at the same time.

I mean, the internet wasn't perfect LOL, but the option was.

Platinums and Elites get 25% off in lieu of the old free minutes benefit (your choice of one or the other).  The net price after 25% off works out that the 4-device package is the same cost as TWO 1-device packages.  That might affect your decision - IOW, why not order the 4-device package if going to order two singles anyway?

PS - I am deducing you were on the CB for 14-nights based on your price quote.  $90 for a single and $180 for 4.  Net after discounting.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

I cant remember exactly why I bought to singles vs one for 4 devices. I believe it was because with first day discount it worked out to actually be $10 or so cheaper for 2 packages vs one for 4 devices. It was for Baltic cruise and Caribbean last year.

3 hours ago, could travel all the time said:

Just a suggestion...see if you qualify for the one day promo they have today..Offering free internet 

I don't see that option for my 12/18 cruise on Grand...

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Platinums and Elites get 25% off in lieu of the old free minutes benefit (your choice of one or the other). 

I read elsewhere that the 1st Day Onboard price is 8,9,10 days is $75, $80, $85 respectively. Elite/Platinum first day onboard pricing is 8,9,10 days is $56.25, $60, $63.75 respectively.  I am Platinum, traveling solo with 2-3 devices.  I never use up my 250 allotment.  It seems I should stay with the free 250 rather than purchase.  I understand that i forfeit the discounted purchase option if I do this. Are we sure that 250 free minutes is still an option? And that i can switch devices (using one at a time)?

Oh!  @junglejane just answered my question with a nice screen shot!  many thanks...

Edited by Ellipooh
  • Like 1

We were recently on a 40 day HAL cruise and used our new RavPower travel router and it worked great! More specifically we purchased an unlimited internet package for one account which we signed on to using the travel router. Once connected we were able to have up to 5 devices up to 50 feet away access the internet via the travel router at the same time. We plan on using it again via a single unlimited account on our upcoming cruise on the Island. A travel router costs around $40-50.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We were recently on a 40 day HAL cruise and used our new RavPower travel router and it worked great! More specifically we purchased an unlimited internet package for one account which we signed on to using the travel router. Once connected we were able to have up to 5 devices up to 50 feet away access the internet via the travel router at the same time. We plan on using it again via a single unlimited account on our upcoming cruise on the Island. A travel router costs around $40-50.

You can use your phone as a router, so no need to purchase one

On 11/27/2019 at 8:16 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

How exactly do you do that if you have 2 iPhones and an iPad, all with cellular data turned off, and you have 1 unlimited shipboard internet account?

I just use Bluetooth tethering, saying that I wouldn’t use an iphone

• Like 1

How does this pricing look for Sky Princess.  My booking says 50% off precruise pricing.  Single device would be $59.99 for a seven night cruise. 4 device is $14.99 per day; which comes out to $104.93;  which I believe is cheaper than getting my wife and I each our own plan.  What do you think?  ps. both plans offer unlimited 

Edited by AF-1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

How does this pricing look for Sky Princess.  My booking says 50% off precruise pricing.  Single device would be $59.99 for a seven night cruise. 4 device is $14.99 per day; which comes out to $104.93;  which I believe is cheaper than getting my wife and I each our own plan.  What do you think?  ps. both plans offer unlimited 

I think you have Platinum/Elite status.  On board 1 device is $52.50 and 4 devices is $105.  Usually the 4-device plan will be less on board with the member discount (longer trips the $15 adds up).  On board with, or without, the discount, 4 device plan = TWO 1-device plans.  Otherwise, pre-cruise, TWO 1-device plans are less than ONE 4-device plan in most cases.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:42 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

May I ask how was a quality of each connection? 

12 minutes ago, Tatka said:

May I ask how was a quality of each connection? 

Even though you can have up to 5 devices connected at one time, we usually had only 2 connected at any one time with no degradation in service. In fact since we kept the TR in the closet by the door where it could maintain a better connection with the hallway router, both of our devices maintained full bar connection, even if we were on the balcony, with the TR acting like a repeater. We were quite impressed as this was the first time we bad used our RavPower TR.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

My question is how does 2 people use the Ocean Medallion features if your are both logged into medalion net using the same login. Chat, location, ect would all be non-functional if both users are logged in using a single account? 
What am I missing? 

12 hours ago, masterty said:

My question is how does 2 people use the Ocean Medallion features if your are both logged into medalion net using the same login. Chat, location, ect would all be non-functional if both users are logged in using a single account? 
What am I missing? 

Two people can be logged into the no-cost Intranet which is where the Ocean Medallion features are accessible.

But if you only purchased a single Internet use package, only one of those two on the Intranet can use the Internet at a time.

I think some of you may be confused or mixed up with internet and intranet.  Internet is paid medallion net or ships wifi.  Intranet is the local ship only free wifi for ocean medallion use.  You do not have to buy the internet package to use the ocean medallion intranet; which is for chatting, along with ocean now and the other apps.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:30 PM, Ellipooh said:

I don't see that option for my 12/18 cruise on Grand...

I read elsewhere that the 1st Day Onboard price is 8,9,10 days is $75, $80, $85 respectively. Elite/Platinum first day onboard pricing is 8,9,10 days is $56.25, $60, $63.75 respectively.  I am Platinum, traveling solo with 2-3 devices.  I never use up my 250 allotment.  It seems I should stay with the free 250 rather than purchase.  I understand that i forfeit the discounted purchase option if I do this. Are we sure that 250 free minutes is still an option? And that i can switch devices (using one at a time)?

Oh!  @junglejane just answered my question with a nice screen shot!  many thanks...

this is from my 10 day Crown Princess. I was actually charged $63 and change. I guess gratuities or tax?

33056D23-A03C-438C-84C0-4D10700C8373.png

E47908C7-CE75-4780-8530-619B72FFAD2A.png