Alaskan Cruise Planning Overload- Help!

MommaTravelsToo

Hi everyone! I am working on planning an Alaskan Cruise for the first week of July in 2021. I feel as if I have read and researched so much that I can't remember the differences anymore. So, if you are so inclined, can you help? There will be 4 in my cabin but a potential of 12 additional cabins to be booked with us. 

1. I'd ideally like to go out of Seattle or Vancouver. Round trip airfare with nearby hotels would be great from the east coast.

2. I'd like a veranda but not opposed to a suite if the price was right.

3. Food. My family is gonna tell me ALL about it if the food isn't good.

4. Hidden fees/charges- who is the most upfront?

5. Alaska-which cruise line does it best? I'm leaning towards Celebrity right now- Solstice or Eclipse- but I can't settle on a cabin. 

6. There will be kids on board so a kids club helps but isn't a deal breaker.

7. Newer the better- I know NCL has that massive ship but there are so may upcharges that I'm not interested in. A smaller but newer ship that can head into the smaller areas would be perfect.

Any help would be SO APPRECIATED! 

Thank you!!

Edited by MommaTravelsToo
Forgot stuff!

SO...I know this sounds really sarcastic to ask, but with an earnest heart, I ask you...why do you want to cruise to Alaska? What do you want to see? Anything in particular? This is normally the driving factor behind the decision to choose one itinerary over another. The ship is usually secondary to the itinerary...unless it isn't for you and you really don't care where you go so long as you have a nice ship to see whatever you see. And whatever you see is fine.

One of the main questions is usually...do you want to see Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay? Or ideally both? Or are you satisfied with the idea of Tracy Arm?, I think it's called.

What has you leaning toward Celebrity? You like the ports and the port times? Time in port is generally another factor that people really look at.

Also is there anything in particular you want to do? Like...When I think of going to Alaska, THIS is what I think of and so I really want to do THAT. My family's visit was driven by glaciers and fishing...so...we made a lot of decisions based on that.

I think knowing what you really want to see would be very helpful in picking out what cruise lines and itineraries would be a good fit.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

SO...I know this sounds really sarcastic to ask, but with an earnest heart, I ask you...why do you want to cruise to Alaska? What do you want to see? Anything in particular? This is normally the driving factor behind the decision to choose one itinerary over another. The ship is usually secondary to the itinerary...unless it isn't for you and you really don't care where you go so long as you have a nice ship to see whatever you see. And whatever you see is fine.

One of the main questions is usually...do you want to see Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay? Or ideally both? Or are you satisfied with the idea of Tracy Arm?, I think it's called.

What has you leaning toward Celebrity? You like the ports and the port times? Time in port is generally another factor that people really look at.

Also is there anything in particular you want to do? Like...When I think of going to Alaska, THIS is what I think of and so I really want to do THAT. My family's visit was driven by glaciers and fishing...so...we made a lot of decisions based on that.

I think knowing what you really want to see would be very helpful in picking out what cruise lines and itineraries would be a good fit.

YES! Nooo, hand over all the sarcasm haha, I'm down for it. I will take any and all advice. It's a surprise trip for my hubby who has always wanted to go so it's hard to narrow it down without his input. I am inviting a slew of family/friends to join us as well so I want to be sure it's not full up up-charges (I heard the bliss makes you pay for the go kart track etc) I definitely want Glacier Bay and Hubbard is a close second. We also need ALL the king crab legs so Tracey's Crab Shack in Juneau is very appealing (unless someone has a better one!) I am leaning Celebrity because I read that they have been doing it the longest and have the best boats to get into the smaller areas. If I am wrong on any of this please tell me, I'm here to learn!

15 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Have you cruised before? Alaska is completely different than the Caribbean.

I would actually look at Princess. They've done Alaska longer, and hold most of the permits for Glacier Bay.

Okay see I thought Celebrity held the permits...hmmmm

I'm also reading lots about cabins. Some say you should get an aft balcony so you can see everything but others say it's a) too loud, b) you get soot on the balcony (and any food you bring out there) and c) it's loud because of the engines...

We have cruised the Caribbean before, this is a dream trip for the hubs 🙂

We are sailing for the first time to Alaska in June. We too are also from the East Coast. After lots and lots of reading, we settled on Holland America (Koningsdam). We are sailing round trip to and from Vancouver. We were torn between either Princess or Holland. We knew we wanted to go to Glacier Bay (that was a top priority) and both cruise lines sail there. Although sailing round trip from Seattle is easier (and airfare is much cheaper), I wanted to spend less time "at sea" and more time actually seeing things. Round trip to and from Vancouver allows us to do that because we will be traveling the inside passage (also calmer waters).

Although many recommend either a one way trip northboard or southboard, I was more comfortable sailing round trip from the same city. We will fly into Vancouver 3 days ahead of our sailing date and spend some time there.

• Like 1

Hi, we are also coming from the east coast looking at 2021.  Waiting on Princess. But, we would also like to go R/T out of Vancouver for more time at ports.  In fact right now I am leaning to towards Celebrity 9 night cruise with 5 stops instead of the normal 3.  It also includes Sitka which people seem to like as a stop.   Happy Planning!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MommaTravelsToo said:

Hi everyone! I am working on planning an Alaskan Cruise for the first week of July in 2021. I feel as if I have read and researched so much that I can't remember the differences anymore. So, if you are so inclined, can you help? There will be 4 in my cabin but a potential of 12 additional cabins to be booked with us. 

1. I'd ideally like to go out of Seattle or Vancouver. Round trip airfare with nearby hotels would be great from the east coast.

5. Alaska-which cruise line does it best? I'm leaning towards Celebrity right now- Solstice or Eclipse- but I can't settle on a cabin. 

7. Newer the better- I know NCL has that massive ship but there are so may upcharges that I'm not interested in. A smaller but newer ship that can head into the smaller areas would be perfect.

Thank you!!

1. Either Seattle or Vancouver would be fine. If any of your group is susceptible to seasickness, Choose Vancouver. Departing Seattle takes you out into the Pacific Ocean. Vancouver you stay on the east side of Vancouver Island in calm water. That said,  the cruise is all about Alaska. Choose the itinerary you like then match it to the cruise line and  the ship.

2. The cabin is your preference

3.4. 5. Princess and Holland America get good reviews. Holland America is an older crowd. The food is good on both Princess and Holland America Every cruise line has hidden charges. 

6. Princess has a good kids club.

7. I would never sail Alaska on a mega ship, too big for the Alaska ports and cruising the glaciers. Most of the smaller ships are of the older variety but get around the inside passage with ease.

Vancouver  is a beautiful city, one of my all time favorites. Have a great cruise Alaska is spectacular.

• Like 1

Just a note that all of the King Crab legs served by Tracy's Crab shack probably come from the Juneau Costco since King Crab season is in Jan-Feb.  The Dungeoness Crab should be fresh, though at Tracy's since the season will be ongoing while you are there.

Holland America (HAL) movies are free as are most items on the Room Service (24/7) menu.

An aft Neptune Suite on Deck 5 of most of the HAL Vista-class ships will have a fully covered balcony that will hold 50 of your best friends for parties and whale watching.  On the aft portion of your balcony, there is no wind so dinner on your balcony (ordered via Room Service or from the regular Dining Room menu) is always available.

HAL allows all of the water and soda you wish to bring aboard with no charge.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MommaTravelsToo said:

Seattle has better prices on hotel rooms.

Both are good choices.

With a potential of 12 cabins I can guarantee you someone won't like any of the food...even if Gordon Ramsey was the chef.

All cruise lines have additional fees.

For Alaska, Holland or Princess does it the best.  The two Celebrity ships you mention don't include Glacier Bay National Park but at least Eclipse visits Hubbard Glacier.

Since you have kids with you Princess would be my choice.  Also the huge NCL Bliss has a good itinerary and a kids club,  a teens club and a kids water park.  They also offer a go cart track, laser tag, water park, and mini golf (extra $$$ for some of those).  If your kids rule the roost you'll be broke by the end of the cruise.

Well, you just shot down the Bliss.  The Ruby Princess out of Seattle would be my choice  since it visits Glacier Bay National Park...a must see in my opinion.  Age of the ship shouldn't matter, they are all maintained to high standards.  The Ruby Princess is a good choice for families.

Thank you!!

14 hours ago, MommaTravelsToo said:

YES! Nooo, hand over all the sarcasm haha, I'm down for it. I will take any and all advice. It's a surprise trip for my hubby who has always wanted to go so it's hard to narrow it down without his input. I am inviting a slew of family/friends to join us 

This. Surprise trips are tricky. What I'm wondering is how you are going to inform him of the surprise? If this is something he has always wanted to do...then I would think that he should definitely be getting involved in the planning at some stage in the game. Maybe you book the cruise...but definitely get him involved for the excursions. OR maybe he gets involved from the very beginning but you don't mention anything about inviting everyone else and then when they are there, THAT can be the total surprise.

Glacier Bay National Park requires permits for anyone and everyone that is running a commercial business to operate their business within the park boundaries. The permits are good for 10 years. Off the top of my head, Princess, Hal, and NCL are the ones that are known for cruising Glacier Bay. There may be others.

With the hopes of such a large group...a RT itinerary would definitely be easier than either the northbound or southbound. As a PP said, the reports are that sailing out of Vancouver is calmer because it goes up through an inside passage whereas the Seattle ships do enter into more open water. Hotels in Vancouver can be more expensive but it is a matter of how close to the port you really want to be.

Like most big metros, Vancouver's downtown area is where the cruise port is and if you want to stay more downtown, the prices are much higher. They are less costly near the airport...but then it's more of a hassle to get to some of the attractions...just like any other city. But these are the compromises of travel. I think there is an area around Vancouver that is called Richmond? I don't recall exactly, but I think it is closer to the airport and that is something of a second Chinatown...again...this is all just my memory talking but there was a bit of an exodus from Chinatown into a more suburban area...I think there's a LOT of good Chinese restaurants around Richmond...not sure that there is anything else too entertaining though.

Another possible advantage of a RT out of Vancouver is the fact that a RT out of Seattle has to stop in an International Port before returning to Seattle and usually, they stop in Victoria, BC. Sometimes the timing of the stop doesn't lend itself to doing much in Victoria and some people feel that is a bit of a waste of a cruise day. Combine that with the Sea Day at the beginning in open water and the Seattle sailings don't seem to give you as much Alaska as the Vancouver sailings. BUT, from my research, for Princess, for instance, the RT sailings out of Vancouver are much fewer. It seems much more common for Vancouver to be the port that anchors one end of the northbound or southbound sailings. But transportation to and from your cruise can really affect the tone of the beginning and end of your cruise...so knowing what is best for your situation is important and it just becomes one of your criteria for your trip to help you narrow down your choices.

If you pick Vancouver for your port of choice for a RT cruise that includes Glacier Bay, then you have seriously narrowed down the playing field of available cruises. Even within a cruise line, food and staterooms and possible up charges can vary ship to ship. So you really would be looking at the ship details to determine which cruise would be the best from that point.

Alaska isn't like cruising the Caribbean. When you are sailing the inside passage, you are often sailing past land. There is the possibility of seeing any number of sights from the cruise ship. Sail away from Skagway was one of my absolute favorite experiences on our Alaska cruise. So much to see. I didn't want to leave my spot at the aft bar. My point is that while I understand wanting to have a certain level of entertainment available that is inherent to the ship...it really isn't as important in Alaska. 

Life has been crazy lately so I am late to this discussion.  But as someone who lives in Alaska and reads this board frequently it seems to me that folks who are planning a trip to our state really need to focus on what they want to see or do, and most importantly, understand that Alaska is huge and you won't see much of it on a week long cruise.  Periodically folks will ask what are the "must see" attractions, but something is only a "must see" if you want to see it.

19 hours ago, Crew News said:

Just a note that all of the King Crab legs served by Tracy's Crab shack probably come from the Juneau Costco since King Crab season is in Jan-Feb.  The Dungeoness Crab should be fresh, though at Tracy's since the season will be ongoing while you are there.  .......

What Crew News posted is so true -- the king crab fishery is limited and not operating during the summer.  That king crab may have been freshly frozen, but it was frozen.  And my favorite "go to" dungeness crab restaurant is Annabelles in Ketchikan.

And if the OP is leaning toward Celebrity they should consider the Millennium itineraries, which also include Hubbard Glacier.

• Like 2

I am another one who vote for princess or holland america as cruiselines for Alaska.  Balconies are great if you can afford, just know that you might not use it much if weather is unfavorable but they are wonderful for early morning coffee, viewing coastline and glaciers in privacy and watching some quiet sunsets.......yes weather is different than Caribbean but still love our balconies.  For us it is usually itinerary first and ship second but prices usually are better with holland.......we prefer princess a little more due to night time entertainment but we sometimes go holland for the price........

You don't need to eat dead frozen crabs...  For King crab seekers with a large group of 6 to 8.  I strongly recommend a pre/post-cruise visit to Vancouver premium Chinese seafood restaurants (Dynasty on Broadway, Kirin, or Sun Sui Wah).  Crabs harvested in the winter are kept in hotels to meet you during the cruise season.  Just point to the one you want as your dinner date, pose for pictures and then flavoured up for your table.

Please don't ask for boil and butter.  I recommend "Vancouver style" with garlic, green onions, deep fried, baked Alaskan combo's.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 4:21 PM, MommaTravelsToo said:

(I heard the bliss makes you pay for the go kart track

I was on the sister ship Joy last month.... $15 for 8 laps.  If there's a slow driver... your laps will be slow as there is little opportunity to pass.  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bliss+go+kart

If you are in Vancouver, make a pre/post-cruise reservation at TBC or Speeders include gokarts on your trip.

Book your gokart early on the cruise.  If the weather is windy/stormy... the track is closed and the reservations bunch up at the end of the cruise.

Edited by xlxo

On 11/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, MommaTravelsToo said:

Alaska-which cruise line does it best? I'm leaning towards Celebrity right now- Solstice or Eclipse- but I can't settle on a cabin. 

Depends...

You might find the larger ships offer more different programs for different ages in your large group.

What you'll find in the above list is each cruise line has a different target age market.  You will not find water slides and outdoor theatres with Holland America.

Edited by xlxo

Are you just CRUISING or considering a land tour package pre-post cruise ?

There is OH so much to see and do - keep reading on - ask more questions !

Also there are deals promos perks bonuses for booking at certain times - the

fare prices come into play - early and late season fares are less - mid summer peak ! 

Looks like you are centering on the peak July.

Booking -4- in a cabin rethink that to -2- in 2 cabins look around at the deck

cabin floor plans. 4 folks in a closet may not be your thing ?

There is a lot to research and digest here - July 2021 gives you some time -

take you time putting this all together.      

On 11/26/2019 at 6:21 PM, MommaTravelsToo said:

I am leaning Celebrity because I read that they have been doing it the longest and have the best boats to get into the smaller areas. If I am wrong on any of this please tell me, I'm here to learn!

Umm. No. Go back to researching.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, Anita Latte said:

Alaska isn't like cruising the Caribbean. When you are sailing the inside passage, you are often sailing past land. There is the possibility of seeing any number of sights from the cruise ship. Sail away from Skagway was one of my absolute favorite experiences on our Alaska cruise. So much to see. I didn't want to leave my spot at the aft bar. My point is that while I understand wanting to have a certain level of entertainment available that is inherent to the ship...it really isn't as important in Alaska. 

We have an aft(wake) facing cabin on our upcoming cruise in Alaska, tell me more about what to look for on sail-away from Skagway?

40 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have an aft(wake) facing cabin on our upcoming cruise in Alaska, tell me more about what to look for on sail-away from Skagway?

I wrote all about this on my Trip Report. Rather than derail this thread, I will just say that my report begins on this topic at post #250 on page 10.

48 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Check your library to see if they have ' THE ALASKA CRUISE HANDBOOK; A MILE BY MILE GUIDE ' by Joe Upton, or buy a used book on Amazon. 

For me, even a balcony cabin was not a necessity. I had one once out of my five cruises to Alaska and that was due to being upgraded for free. I want to be outside on the open decks and moving around to see different things. All five of my cruises to Alaska have been on Princess ships. We have sailed on Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Holland America on other itineraries. I would consider HAL for Alaska at a great price. 

There weren't any hidden fees on my Princess cruises. I knew about the daily gratuity charge, so I don't consider it hidden. I bought a few drinks and one excursion. I am comfortable planning my own activities in the ports. I did not eat in the specialty restaurants or buy photos. I thought my overall expenses were reasonable for me. A lot of the people on my cruises this summer were first-time Princess cruisers, and they were indulging in spending a lot more than I did on board.

Edited by geoherb

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 10:28 AM, Anita Latte said:

This. Surprise trips are tricky. What I'm wondering is how you are going to inform him of the surprise? If this is something he has always wanted to do...then I would think that he should definitely be getting involved in the planning at some stage in the game. Maybe you book the cruise...but definitely get him involved for the excursions. OR maybe he gets involved from the very beginning but you don't mention anything about inviting everyone else and then when they are there, THAT can be the total surprise.

That's the plan! He will find out over a year in advance so he can plan excursions, then I'll take all his planning and share it with everyone who is joining us. Then whoever shows up will be a surprise but then whoever is on his excursions will be too!