What is dinner like on Thanksgiving on X.

dolittle

They have a regular dinner menu with a off the menu Turkey, Dressing and Beans possibly mashed potatoes if I recall .   Turkey and Dressing are decent.   If you are looking for a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner you will probably be disappointed.

For desert they usually have Pumpkin Pie, which in my opinion is terrible.  They alternatively have the normal menu of deserts also.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Forget about the holiday feeling.  The stuffing (dressing) tastes like hot white bread spiced up, very small scoop.  Lots of rubbery dark meat with a watered gravy.  Small cube chunks of sweet potatoes that were crunchy.  Huge let down.  If it were more authentic the cruise would be sold as a Thanksgiving Cruise and be 20% more.

8 minutes ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

Forget about the holiday feeling.  The stuffing (dressing) tastes like hot white bread spiced up, very small scoop.  Lots of rubbery dark meat with a watered gravy.  Small cube chunks of sweet potatoes that were crunchy.  Huge let down.  If it were more authentic the cruise would be sold as a Thanksgiving Cruise and be 20% more.

Sounds dreary .

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have a regular dinner menu with a off the menu Turkey, Dressing and Beans possibly mashed potatoes if I recall .   Turkey and Dressing are decent.   If you are looking for a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner you will probably be disappointed.

For desert they usually have Pumpkin Pie, which in my opinion is terrible.  They alternatively have the normal menu of deserts also.

It might make more sense to do it in the buffet .That is really family style.

We celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving last month and was a little disappointed.
The turkey was more of the sliced roll type and the rest unmemorable.    

Surprisingly enough the lunch buffet had a really nice selection with carving station and all the trimmings. Maybe try to remember to check it out. 

I was impressed that they thought to do something. Most likely because the cruise started in Canada I suppose. 

We have been on Celebrity ships twice on American Thanksgiving.  While the OVC had a decent meal (such as carving turkeys), the dinners were not traditional at all.  During a galley tour the first time were were on a ship on Thanksgiving a chef was asked about Thanksgiving dinner.  The response was that the meal served that date would have "elements" of a traditional dinner, such as craisins in the salads.

• Like 1

They don’t serve anything family style. The closest would be Qusine sharing with a lot of people at your table, or maybe the buffet.  

When I am on a cruise everyday is thanksgivings.   I thank God everyday for being able to do that.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dolittle said:

I would think  people from other countries would like to try a REAL Thanksgiving dinner. 

As a Canadian we have our own which is REAL to us . Others countries have Harvest Fest etc.  I doubt they are thinking that the American dinner would be real..lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

As a Canadian we have our own which is REAL to us . Others countries have Harvest Fest etc.  I doubt they are thinking that the American dinner would be real..lol

Not only that, if you really want to get “traditional” most people in the US today would not eat a lot of it as the first harvest feast with the Pilgrims and Wampanoag was likely venison, seal, nuts and berries, corn, and maybe some other root vegetables. NOT turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie.

I was on the Reflection last year for Thanksgiving and came in without expectations. I was pleasantly surprised! Wonderful lunch buffet with turkey carving station and delicious sides including mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing. Plus adorable turkey themed cakes! The dinner had smaller portions, which included a modest turkey plate (my parents both requested all white meat and were accommodated), a ham plate (with some different sides), or other regular dinner options. Dinner portions weren't huge (not enough mashed potatoes or piles of sides like I'm used to), but there was always the option to go to buffet for family style (dinner, part 2!) or ask the server for more of a favorite dish. Also, the captain made an announcement before dinner to wish all of his guests from the U.S. a happy Thanksgiving (and we, of course, were in the Martini Bar, so there were toasts and cheers all around). 🙂 I'd do it again in the heartbeat. More family time-- plus no cleanup, way less stress, and an oceanview!

Photos below are mostly of lunch buffet. After the menu, you will see the dinner photos.

IMG_20181122_130249.jpg

Edited by lalauren
Info about buffet
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Not only that, if you really want to get “traditional” most people in the US today would not eat a lot of it as the first harvest feast with the Pilgrims and Wampanoag was likely venison, seal, nuts and berries, corn, and maybe some other root vegetables. NOT turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie.

Exactly, not sure what those people wanting a REAL authentic thanksgiving meal would make of it.

• Like 1

And now for the main dining room. I would suggest getting turkey at lunch buffet in order to try something different at dinner. I loved the steak dianne!

IMG_20181122_180628.jpg

IMG_20181122_185533.jpg

IMG_20181122_185721.jpg

Edited by lalauren
(info about steak dianne added)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I always heard it was oysters . Hold the seal.

Interesting topic!  We will be on the Reflection in 2020 for Thanksgiving - in the Caribbean.  Not that we are "needing" the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We will be thankful to be on an amazing cruise, and weather we eat in the main dining room or specialty restaurant, it will be amazing since we are on vacation!  I'm not the biggest fan of turkey, so will keep all options open.

We are on Celebrity silhouette right now. As my partner has food allergies to garlic and onions we have already discussed that as far as the Thanksgiving offerings in ocean view.

As the last couple posters have stated the buffet at noon is where the real deal happens. Got to view tonight's menu in Blu and there are no Thanksgiving entrees listed however we discussed it with the maitre'd Amir who will have a drumstick available for my partner. She is thrilled about that as the executive chef promised it would be a fried drumstick. The food has been excellent particularly in Blu. Not only have they prepared entrees for my food allergic partner as chosen from the menu but they have done extra ones on the fly as we request most nights we've had three entrees between us including usually a pasta and vegetable or lasagna. They have been very good to memorable.

Edited by miXterOB